post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
KarateEd

High Score Challenge - S19 - R10 - Omega Orb

Post by KarateEd »

Stardot high score challenge
Season Nineteen: Round Champ
Omega Orb chosen by Venger
OO.png
=====================================================================================
RULES
:arrow: Round Ten starts at 9pm on Monday the 6th of February and ends at 9pm on Monday the 20th of February
:arrow: The aim is to score as many points as possible
:arrow: Post scores and screenshots/photographs in this thread
:arrow: The rules are here
======================================================================================
DISK IMAGE
:arrow: http://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=658
======================================================================================
INSTRUCTIONS
Instructions.png
Instructions1.png
Instructions2.png
Instructions4.png
Be careful of key presses once you lose the game. Your score could disappear if not careful.
SCORING
:arrow: Points will be awarded using the following formula.
:arrow: points = (YS / BS * 50) + ((NOP - YP + 1) * (50 / NOP))
:arrow: YS = Your Score
:arrow: BS = Best Score
:arrow: NOP = Number of Players
:arrow: YP = Your Position
HIGH SCORE TABLE
table.png
table.png (8.12 KiB) Viewed 2565 times
Link to Overall High Score Table...http://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=25601

Thanks to Galax for the Mode 7 fonts.

A new world to discover......Ed ...........
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
Venger

Re: High Score Challenge - S19 - R10 - Omega Orb

Post by Venger »

Here's a first go from me to start the ball rolling :)
Attachments
OO1.png
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Shame he didn't use spacebar or something else at the end of the game rather than 'keypress'. I've lost a couple games because I'm still moving in a direction trying to avoid things after I'm dead. Or at least cleared the buffer before the final screen comes up or some measure to ensure you can't accidently lose the screen Playablility is very good though.

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
klintworth

Post by klintworth »

KarateEd wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:38 am Shame he didn't use spacebar or something else at the end of the game rather than 'keypress'. I've lost a couple games because I'm still moving in a direction trying to avoid things after I'm dead. Or at least cleared the buffer before the final screen comes up or some measure to ensure you can't accidently lose the screen Playablility is very good though.
Same here!! :roll:
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, Olivetti PC128S, Castle A7000+, A3020, Valiant Turtle, Trekker Robot
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Finally died in a way that my score didn't disappear........sheesh!
OmegaOrb-1.png

Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

KarateEd wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:38 am Shame he didn't use spacebar or something else at the end of the game rather than 'keypress'.
Remembering how easy it was to hack around inside the BASIC framework of Hunkidory, I figured I'd have a peek at this one too, and it turns out it's just amenable to tinkering.

This should solve the keypress problem for you :wink:
Disc037-OmegaOrb-HSC version.ssd
(200 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Venger

Post by Venger »

Big score, but only because I kept wandering around shooting things with no clue where to use any items (apart from the empty can by some vaguely "dustbinny" looking things). There's not much in the way of clues as to where to use any items :( . I found an empty can, a chocosnack, a power cube, a 5 drachma coin, a quadralink and a board pass on my travels though.
Attachments
OO2.png
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Well, this is sluggish but I'm trying to build a map so it's slow......So far I've done the first 36 easiest to get to places.
OmegaOrb-2.png

Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

KarateEd wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:38 amWell, this is sluggish but I'm trying to build a map so it's slow......So far I've done the first 36 easiest to get to places
There are a couple of maps already available for this game, but I'm unsure if referring to those (or other guidance) is permitted?

Once again, it looks like Venger may take top place due to sheer perserverance. But that does show that - even without trying to - it's too easy to farm points here.

Wasn't sure I'd actually play this round as I was fairly Scotted-out after the last one - and there also seemed to be an awful lot of instructions to get to grips with - but I gave it a spin. Despite initially not even knowing what to do with the core pieces I soon made some progress. However, I agree that direction is lacking here. By sheer trial and error - Like Venger - I found a home for the empty can, but was subsequently flummoxed.

Thought the author had really hit his stride with this release, as it looks fantastic - and touches like being able to trade lives are quite groundbreaking - but it seems he tried to be too clever with the sprited decorations, which you can walk in front of and behind, as they show black boxes around them when you are "behind" them. And what the shit is up with those enemy explosions, which linger when you're on top of them - and continue to drain your energy long after the baddie has died?!? :shock:

Anyway, here's me currently: 30975

omega.jpg

Note the difference in the key prompt there? :wink:
Venger

Post by Venger »

Cybershark wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:41 am
KarateEd wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:38 amWell, this is sluggish but I'm trying to build a map so it's slow......So far I've done the first 36 easiest to get to places
There are a couple of maps already available for this game, but I'm unsure if referring to those (or other guidance) is permitted?

Once again, it looks like Venger may take top place due to sheer perserverance. But that does show that - even without trying to - it's too easy to farm points here.

Wasn't sure I'd actually play this round as I was fairly Scotted-out after the last one - and there also seemed to be an awful lot of instructions to get to grips with - but I gave it a spin. Despite initially not even knowing what to do with the core pieces I soon made some progress. However, I agree that direction is lacking here. By sheer trial and error - Like Venger - I found a home for the empty can, but was subsequently flummoxed.

Thought the author had really hit his stride with this release, as it looks fantastic - and touches like being able to trade lives are quite groundbreaking - but it seems he tried to be too clever with the sprited decorations, which you can walk in front of and behind, as they show black boxes around them when you are "behind" them. And what the shit is up with those enemy explosions, which linger when you're on top of them - and continue to drain your energy long after the baddie has died?!? :shock:

omega.jpg

Yeah, I do have to agree with you, that the scoring mechanism isn't the greatest when it comes to being suitable for the high score competition. I almost didn't post the score and it's totally possible that someone who knows where to use all the objects could complete the game with a lower score than I had, which obviously wouldn't be fair.

Ed, is it too late to change the game? Another alternative could be just to use the seen percentage or core percentage, or a combination of both, rather than the score itself?
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Venger wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:53 am
Cybershark wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:41 am

omega.jpg

Yeah, I do have to agree with you, that the scoring mechanism isn't the greatest when it comes to being suitable for the high score competition. I almost didn't post the score and it's totally possible that someone who knows where to use all the objects could complete the game with a lower score than I had, which obviously wouldn't be fair.

Ed, is it too late to change the game? Another alternative could be just to use the seen percentage or core percentage, or a combination of both, rather than the score itself?
How about this? Take the core and percent complete, multiply that and you have your score?

Does anyone disagree with that method? It might be more fair then it follows the dictates of fair play, you get what you've done.

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Also folks, by all means use CyberShark's modded file for playing so you won't go mad......

Also in reference to the maps existing, I would say no to that.

I would say that if you wish to do your own map up then use that, that would be fine as you've done all the work you would normally do if you didn't have the internet. Once it's completed though, there is no reason you couldn't use it to refer to from that point on as that's how you'd normally play a game of this sort. You would also have spent the time already in preparing that map. With a game of this size that's a pretty ominous task as I'm finding out.

Venger

Post by Venger »

KarateEd wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:30 pm How about this? Take the core and percent complete, multiply that and you have your score?
Does anyone disagree with that method? It might be more fair then it follows the dictates of fair play, you get what you've done.
I'm happy with that, Ed =D>

With regards to maps, I don't know whether I'm a bit of an outlier, but I never used to use them or draw them up when I played, back in the day. I had no need of them as I remember where things are and where to go. I never used ones for Citadel, Palace of Magic, Exile or any other games. I do find an onscreen map useful on modern games with more open worlds though.
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Venger wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:58 pm
KarateEd wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:30 pm How about this? Take the core and percent complete, multiply that and you have your score?
I'm happy with that, Ed =D>

With regards to maps, I don't know whether I'm a bit of an outlier, but I never used to use them or draw them up when I played, back in the day. I had no need of them as I remember where things are and where to go. I never used ones for Citadel, Palace of Magic, Exile or any other games. I do find an onscreen map useful on modern games with more open worlds though.
I just enjoy putting them together. I'm usually pretty good with remembering where I've been when I play a few times, even in my doddery old age of these days. It's fun for me, kind of a pass time thing.

I feel if a person puts in the time to create a map, there's no reason they can't use it but if they take it off the net, it's not really in the spirit of the game. Not all people are able to remember where they've been in a map though so I think it's fine if they create it themselves from game play. It's such an onerous task that while making a map, it will take a lot of time from their actual playing. Some like you will remember well after a few goes, others just never do.

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Ok, using the new method. If we have too many ties then we may go to a place where we take 1% of the score just to create variance.....we'll see how it goes. The game itself is fun if I wouldn't get stuck.....and what's this about shooting floors? How, when your shooter is a horizontal shooter?
OmegaOrb-3.png

Venger

Post by Venger »

Here's my latest effort. I found a use for one item but what bugs the hell out of me is that you can only find out what the terminal number is when you actually log into it, wasting you 100 credits! That's insane! I mean, I'm not going to remember what terminal number a certain terminal is when there's 20 odd of them and a lot of them look the same. Still no clue as to where to use most of the items I've passed. New items I've seen are duty free, a laser card and an info holder.
Attachments
OO3.png
klintworth

Post by klintworth »

Cybershark wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:08 pm This should solve the keypress problem for you :wink:
Wonderful, many thanks! Now all I have to do is work out what’s going on here!! :lol:
CDBA90A9-1564-4057-A76E-8FE9AC930D46.jpeg
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, Olivetti PC128S, Castle A7000+, A3020, Valiant Turtle, Trekker Robot
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Well, can't see where to use the passcard.......
OmegaOrb-4.png

klintworth

Post by klintworth »

Still at sea with this!!
631893ED-880F-4CA4-AB56-E827DB6C6A2E.jpeg
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Found where to use it. My problem was trying to figure out how to get it there when you can't hold two things at the same time.....got it!

klintworth

Post by klintworth »

Progress?! :lol:
E83BC8A5-897C-480A-9110-67C136E34150.jpeg
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

klintworth wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:01 am Progress?! :lol:
It is progress, it's a slow game, at least for me, to catch on to.

FourthStone

Post by FourthStone »

Venger wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:35 pm Here's my latest effort. I found a use for one item but what bugs the hell out of me is that you can only find out what the terminal number is when you actually log into it, wasting you 100 credits! That's insane! I mean, I'm not going to remember what terminal number a certain terminal is when there's 20 odd of them and a lot of them look the same. Still no clue as to where to use most of the items I've passed. New items I've seen are duty free, a laser card and an info holder.
If only there was a way to map them all out... :lol:
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Well a slight bump up.....
OmegaOrb-6.png

Venger

Post by Venger »

FourthStone wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:02 am
Venger wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:35 pm Here's my latest effort. I found a use for one item but what bugs the hell out of me is that you can only find out what the terminal number is when you actually log into it, wasting you 100 credits! That's insane! I mean, I'm not going to remember what terminal number a certain terminal is when there's 20 odd of them and a lot of them look the same. Still no clue as to where to use most of the items I've passed. New items I've seen are duty free, a laser card and an info holder.
If only there was a way to map them all out... :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: . Seriously though, it wouldn't have taken a lot of effort to chuck a number on the front of each terminal.
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

Was idly curious if that'd be something that could be hacked into the screen display, but it seems not :lol:

And good call on using measures of achievement for scoring this round, guys :)
KarateEd wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:19 pm...and what's this about shooting floors? How, when your shooter is a horizontal shooter?
Eh? Has something led you believe you need to do that?
Venger wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:35 pmStill no clue as to where to use most of the items I've passed. New items I've seen are duty free, a laser card and an info holder.
Ditto. And, as Ed says, it's a bit of a bind being stuck with carrying one item at a time (and being so limited in where you can drop them).
Have found use for the power core thingy and empty can, but that's all so far, and the second computer code has eluded me up till now.
The boarding pass, duty free and drachma lead me to believe a plane ride is on the cards at some point?

Here's another stab:
44% / 25%

omega2.jpg
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Cybershark wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:17 pm
KarateEd wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:19 pm...and what's this about shooting floors? How, when your shooter is a horizontal shooter?
Eh? Has something led you believe you need to do that?
Yes, the instructions say sometimes you may have to shoot walls and floors to progress......2nd page, 1st paragraph......

Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

KarateEd wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:32 pmYes, the instructions say sometimes you may have to shoot walls and floors to progress......2nd page, 1st paragraph......
D'oh! You're not wrong.

Well, I understand there is some sort of laser gun to be found later on, so maybe that has something to do with it?
Venger

Post by Venger »

I got a lot further this time, and used a hell of a lot more objects, but I only got rewarded with a couple more core pieces. I can only assume that the vast majority of them are very close to the end. In some places it's obvious where to use an item as you explore more (like the 5 drachma piece). There's not much chance of completing the game without farming credits for lives by the looks of it, mainly because of the many cheap tricks the game employs to kill you (like a beam of ions that you can't avoid as you enter the screen and enemy generators in awkward to shoot places that you have to try and sneak past!). A lot of the time you have to farm credits anyway, just to use the items at the ports! It's a really crazy idea that that you have to pay credits to access a port to use things, especially as much as 100 credits. You only get 250 for a successful use of an item so you're only profiting by 150 credits.
Attachments
OO4.png
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

I could accept the brutality of some of the rooms if only a bit more direction were given.

Used the Duty Free now but, once I got through exploring that area, I was stymied again. There are only a couple of places to use things and I swear I've tried them all!

](*,)

Curious if you've been able to get the second lift to raise?

Return to “8-bit acorn software: games - high scores”