Elite with flicker-free planets (BBC Micro, BBC Master, 6502SP)

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

MarkMoxon

Elite with flicker-free planets (BBC Micro, BBC Master, 6502SP)

Post by MarkMoxon »

Time for another Elite-related present.

I have extended the flicker-free routines in the BBC Master version of Elite to remove flicker from the planets too. The planets are in a totally separate part of the codebase to the ship-drawing routines, and their flicker wasn't fixed in the original 1986 release. This irked me, so I've taken the same algorithm and applied it to the planets, and have added some further logic to reduce flicker even further.

The results are pretty satisfying!
I'm hoping to port this hack to other versions of Elite - 6502SP and Teletext Elite certainly, and the original BBC disc Elite when running on the Master, and maybe even the original disc version, though that's a tough one memory-wise. I'm also planning to port it to the Commodore platform. I'm afraid there is no room in the Electron version; sorry about that.

I hope you like it. Right on Commanders!

Mark
Last edited by MarkMoxon on Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yrrah2

Re: Elite with flicker-free planets (BBC Master)

Post by Yrrah2 »

Very Nice!
Happy with my BBC Master
www.mybbcmaster.nl
mike12f

Post by mike12f »

Great work again, Mark! I see another benefit is that the countdown timer on the hyperspace jump is much faster now, when a planet is in view.
NickLuvsRetro

Post by NickLuvsRetro »

This is fantastic, outstanding work! =D>
bob147

Post by bob147 »

Well done again Mark, inching ever closer to the ultimate enhanced version. Every time I start thinking "right, I'm actually going to try and do a real playthrough with this one", you come up with something else!
MarkMoxon

Post by MarkMoxon »

Thanks for all the nice comments! Glad you like those flicker-free planets.

You may be interested to know that I have now released a version of the original 1984 BBC Micro Elite, with flicker-free ships and planets. It runs on a BBC Master, as there just isn't enough memory to squeeze the planet code into the original, but it's still the original, classic Beeb version.
Enjoy!

Mark
MarkMoxon

Post by MarkMoxon »

The final entry in this saga is for the 6502 Second Processor version, which now contains flicker-free planets too.

Download links are here: https://www.bbcelite.com/hacks/flicker- ... loads.html

And for completeness, Teletext Elite also has flicker-free planets; for details, see https://www.bbcelite.com/hacks/teletext_elite.html

I might look at trying to improve planet flicker in the standard BBC Micro version at some point, but RAM is an issue with that one, so no promises. It might need sideways RAM, but I guess that's always an option...

Mark
Yrrah2

Re: Elite with flicker-free planets (BBC Master, 6502SP)

Post by Yrrah2 »

:D =D>
Happy with my BBC Master
www.mybbcmaster.nl
mike12f

Post by mike12f »

MarkMoxon wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:50 pm And for completeness, Teletext Elite also has flicker-free planets; for details, see https://www.bbcelite.com/hacks/teletext_elite.html

Mark
Great. This means we can actually take screenshots of the planet. Previously I think the screenshots nearly always used to capture just a fragment of a curve.

MarkMoxon

Re: Elite with flicker-free planets (BBC Micro, BBC Master, 6502SP)

Post by MarkMoxon »

Memory is tight, but I've managed to shoehorn the core flicker-free planet routine into the original disc version of BBC Micro Elite. The planets still shimmer slightly, but it's way better than the original strobing. The previous version needed a Master to run, but this one runs on the standard BBC Micro.

Here are the links:
So that's flicker-free planets done in all versions of Elite bar BBC Micro cassette and Elite-A - and there's definitely no room in there. Time for a break, I think!

Mark
paulb

Post by paulb »

MarkMoxon wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:00 am Time for a break, I think!
You've definitely earned it, although with the above reminder about the Teletext version, I can imagine people (not me, however) wanting you to do a port to the Commodore PET.
MarkMoxon

Post by MarkMoxon »

paulb wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:43 am
MarkMoxon wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:00 am Time for a break, I think!
You've definitely earned it, although with the above reminder about the Teletext version, I can imagine people (not me, however) wanting you to do a port to the Commodore PET.
Petsciilite. Has a nice ring to it!

Though yeah, maybe that's one for someone else to run with. I know of a couple of other platforms that are getting conversions, so I'm sure there's a taker out there somewhere... :D

Mark
MarkMoxon

Post by MarkMoxon »

Update time!

For those playing flicker-free Elite on the 6502 Second Processor, I've just released a new version that makes enemy lasers red. For some of us (like me!), this small change makes a big difference.

The original release of 6502 Second Processor Elite draws enemy laser fire in red. The BBC Master, however, draws enemy lasers in the same colour as the enemy ship, so most laser shots are shown in cyan. This is a consequence of the way that the flicker-free ship-drawing algorithm works, so when I ported the Master's flicker-free code to the 6502 Second Processor, the cyan lasers came with it.

I much prefer the red lasers of the original, so I've rewritten the flicker-free routines to bring them back (the solution was to draw the laser line separately to the ship's wireframe, rather than bundling all lines together in the same heap like the original BBC Master algorithm).

You can download this updated version from the usual place, where you can also find links to play it online:

https://www.bbcelite.com/hacks/flicker- ... loads.html

It doesn't make this crazy-fast version any easier to play, but it sure looks good!

Mark

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”