WROCC Show 2023 booking thread

listings of other non-ABug events, proposals relating to unconfirmed events and general event chat
flaxcottage

WROCC Show 2023 booking thread

Post by flaxcottage »

The WROCC 2023 show will be held at the Cedar Court Hotel in Bradford. The Show was there last year too.

This year the organisers would like a historical display of Acorn equipment/software to coincide with their 40th anniversary.

The diagram shows the floor plan;
WROCC2023 plan.jpg
Tables A - F have been penciled for this display and the tables are free for StarDot members hosting a display. My table, no 21, is adjacent.

I am coordinating the 'booking' of these display tables for WROCC. If anyone wishes a display table, please indicate in this thread and also give an idea of what you hope to bring. It will be on a first come, first served basis. Chris Hughes the show organiser has indicated that it may be possible to extend the display section if demand is high and/or uptake of other stands is low.

21 - FlaxCottage Archive (Master with 2nd proc, Datacentre and SD cartridge, the Communitel BBC micro with full Boobip SWR, 2nd proc and Acorn Winchester. Both of these will be on the Econet. Also bringing a Raspberry Pi with my Pi Project educational software image on it in the retro Fuze BBC micro case and a full Econet system. ) Table now free

A - Danielj (Master, B, Elk, A5k, Atom, MDFS, probably Music 5000, keyboard and some speakers)
B - Chrissawer
C - Beebmaster?
D - Robc?
E -
F -
Last edited by flaxcottage on Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
flaxcottage

Re: WROCC Show 2023 booking thread

Post by flaxcottage »

I am raising the profile of this post.

Unfortunately I shall not be able to attend due to work commitments - one meeting a year for work and the WROCC show both on the same day! :( :?

This means that my table is now free, if anyone wishes to take it on - FOC, of course.

If any one is intending to go to the show and display equipment could you please indicate below. I need to let the organisers know ASAP how many 8-bit/historic Acorn displays there will be.
- John

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

I have the table next to you, John . . . and will have a Risc PC and Electron (poles apart :shock: ) I'll probably let the show organiser know separately as well.

Found out CJE isn't going this year - That'll be a big hole!

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

If that means that you want the table then it is yours, Dave.

I'm really gutted that I can't attend.
- John

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Today has to be the last chance to indicate that anyone is going to attend. The show organiser needs to know how many 8-bit tables will be needed before releasing them to other people.
- John

chrissawer

Post by chrissawer »

There was quite a lot of interest in the other thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25866

I am still interested in bringing a Beeb and a Master so please put me down for a table.
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Done.
- John

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

There are still two tables free if anybody wants one.

Please indicate here and contact the show organisers direct to book your place.
- John

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

I'm unlikely to take a table at the Show but still hope to attend on the day. It would need an overnight stay the night before, but according to the show website, there is no accommodation available at the hotel, so it would be a bit of a faff taking all the kit to a hotel off-site and then lugging it to the show and possibly back to the hotel again after show.
philpem

Post by philpem »

I'll probably day-trip this one from Leeds. Would be nice to meet up with a couple of other Stardotters if anyone else is going!
Questions about software preservation (BBC, RISC OS or other platforms)? Please feel free to ask.
Currently looking for RISC OS software to archive and preserve, please drop me a PM if you have any to offer.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Nearby:
PeterWROCC wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:46 am A last minute addition to this years' Show will be a small selection of "Lesser Seen" 32 bit machines from my personal collection.

Since this is such a late "entry", it will only occupy a rear corner of the Show Theatre room, which is
where I generally reside at the show.

I'm planning to have the following computers:-

Large case Microdigital Omega, RiscStation 7500 Tower, Bush Internet Set top box, and hopefully a
A9Home - along with a couple of monitors.

I hope to see you in Bradford next week - it promises to be a good show
TimoHartong

Post by TimoHartong »

A bit late perhaps but is there a R260 on display ? If not I could bring mine but I need to know this afternoon because the ferry will leave this evening.
danielj

Post by danielj »

I don't believe so!

d.
TimoHartong

Post by TimoHartong »

OK I will pack it the only thing I don't have is UK type leads ;-)
danielj

Post by danielj »

There will be more kettle leads on the charity stall than you can shake a stick at.
d.
TimoHartong

Post by TimoHartong »

I'm sure somebody can lend me one . R260 is packed for this journey only with LCD monitor instead of CRT ( which well be on display at the ROX in the Netherlands )
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

If I can finish my Elkonet boards tonight (only PLCC socket to add) I will bring them tomorrow, and hopefully someone will be daring enough to let me plug them into an Electron!
danielj

Post by danielj »

BeebMaster wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:08 pm If I can finish my Elkonet boards tonight (only PLCC socket to add) I will bring them tomorrow, and hopefully someone will be daring enough to let me plug them into an Electron!
I volunteer DaveH.

(I'm not bringing an elk :D)

d.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Finished. Still had to add the resistor network and transistor as well. I will make a Beebline for Dave H tomorrow then.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

danielj wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:11 pm
BeebMaster wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:08 pm If I can finish my Elkonet boards tonight (only PLCC socket to add) I will bring them tomorrow, and hopefully someone will be daring enough to let me plug them into an Electron!
I volunteer DaveH.

(I'm not bringing an elk :D)

d.
Yup! should be there at 8 . . . . :D

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Really gutted that I can't be there - demands of work.

The job is part time and covers only May and June each year. This year the online standardising conference clashes with the show. :(
- John

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

If it's online, just log in and leave the laptopamabob playing to itself all day and come to Bratford. We won't say anything.
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

BeebMaster wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:42 pm If it's online, just log in and leave the laptopamabob playing to itself all day and come to Bratford. We won't say anything.
Ah, nice idea, but I have to host regular team sessions every 30 mins or so. :(
- John

philpem

Post by philpem »

TimoHartong wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:30 pm I'm sure somebody can lend me one . R260 is packed for this journey only with LCD monitor instead of CRT ( which well be on display at the ROX in the Netherlands )
It was cool seeing the R260 there - hope you succeed in getting an image of the hard drive. I'll be interested to hear if you find anything interesting on it.

I think you mentioned you were a bit thin on Unix knowledge -- feel free to give me a nudge if you need any questions answering in that regard, but to get you going --

Rough Windows to UNIX translation --

Logging in - username "root" is equivalent to "Administrator"

Instead of "DIR" - use "ls" ("list")
"Copy" is "cp"
"Move" is "mv" (also renames files, so it'll stand in for REN too)
"Type" is "cat"

Logging out -- "exit" or "logout"
Shutting down -- "shutdown -h now"

Files and directories -- work like Windows except the separator character is "/" (not "\").

Executables you can run will be in "/bin", "/sbin", "/usr/bin", "/usr/sbin" or possibly in "/usr/local/bin", "/usr/local/sbin" or somewhere under "/opt". Sometimes on older systems they might be in subdirectories off of "/usr" (e.g. "/usr/autodesk/bin/autocad")

User home directories should be in "/home" by convention

The password file is "/etc/passwd". The format may look a bit weird at first glance, but documented online. The most important bits are the username, password hash, and home directory.
Questions about software preservation (BBC, RISC OS or other platforms)? Please feel free to ask.
Currently looking for RISC OS software to archive and preserve, please drop me a PM if you have any to offer.
TimoHartong

Post by TimoHartong »

Nice to be there. All those nice people there helping me with the Monitor and the power leads. It was a pitty the table to the filestore was a bit far away else we had had a R260 in the econet ;-).
Please let me know any commands I have to run to see if anything interesting is on it.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Yes, we were stretching a bit to get the Electron onto the network. One of my notes for future shows is "very long Econet leads". :)

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
TimoHartong

Post by TimoHartong »

Also mental note for me : Get UK power leads and test monitor before hand

Return to “other events + general event chat”