Lost in 17% of DuckSpace - Development & Beta Testing

development and releases of new/rewritten text adventures
EdwardianDuck

Lost in 17% of DuckSpace - Development & Beta Testing

Post by EdwardianDuck »

What can I say, more absurd avian nonsense. The plot, such as it is, follows on from the end of Duck! Me?, but you don't have to have played that to play this game. It's unlikely to make a lot of sense regardless.

This is a very early beta, I haven't checked all the grammar and responses yet, but the game is playable. I think it's easier than Duck! Me? and there's less going on in the middle of the game. I think that's an area where it needs more puzzles, as it feels a bit empty. What do people think?

As ever, feedback is encouraged, either publicly or by PM.

Hopefully I'll have time before Santicon Day to refine this a bit more.

Jeremy
Last edited by EdwardianDuck on Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:33 am, edited 5 times in total.
EdwardianDuck

Re: Lost in 17% of DuckSpace - Beta 1

Post by EdwardianDuck »

... although the blurb at the start will make slightly more sense if you've read the blurb at the end of Duck! Me? (beta 18 specifically). Also it's a spoiler for the end of Duck! Me?
ash73

Post by ash73 »

Seeing this has made my day! I loved the previous game, and I'm looking forward to giving this a try. Perfect Christmas pressie! :)
EdwardianDuck

Post by EdwardianDuck »

I spent most of today coding up the introduction and first few locations, objects and moves of #3 (still working on the name).

I decided to start #3 rather than fiddle with #2, I'll wait to see what, if any, feedback #2 generates before updating it to beta 2.

Theoretically, I have titles and outlines for #4 and #5. Whether these get progressed will depend on a heady combination of personal enthusiasm and feedback from others. No promises though.

Jeremy
fredrikr

Post by fredrikr »

Glad to see this! Please share a z3 file as well, if possible.
EdwardianDuck

Post by EdwardianDuck »

.Z3 (zipped) added to top post.

Jeremy
EdwardianDuck

Post by EdwardianDuck »

Just a quick update...

There are quite a lot of issues with spelling, grammar and some responses, as well as a couple of bugs that have been reported by @fredrikr/ detected by me.

None of this really stops the game from being played, but might be a bit distracting / confusing. The worst one is the movement in the dark issue, which is related to the code I have for this not working if the initial location is dark. Pro tem, just won't wander about in the dark and you'll be fine. Probably.

Realistically, there won't be a beta 2 until at least Tuesday.

Jeremy
EdwardianDuck

Post by EdwardianDuck »

I've uploaded beta 2 to the top post. I think I've fixed everything reported and/or discovered by me. In terms of my own review, I've checked the text and responses for all the exterior locations. I'll try to work through the rest tomorrow and post a beta 3 if there are further fixes.

Jeremy
EdwardianDuck

Re: Lost in 17% of DuckSpace - Beta 2

Post by EdwardianDuck »

Just a quick status update. I've been working on this quite a bit over the holiday period. Unfortunately it's a case of lots of activity but not a lot of visible progress. The next step is to work through all the static objects and come up with sensible responses for things you can't do to them. After that I need to play test it all again. Hopefully at that point I can release beta 3.

Also Doreen still needs work.

Jeremy
EdwardianDuck

Re: Lost in 17% of DuckSpace - Beta 2

Post by EdwardianDuck »

Now that I've got Duck! Me? to a (second) release stage, hopefully I can find the time and enthusiasm to work on finishing this as well.

I do need a better title though, suggestions are welcome.

Jeremy
EdwardianDuck

Re: Lost in 17% of DuckSpace - Development & Beta Testing

Post by EdwardianDuck »

Just a quick update. After a long hiatus I have started working on this again. I'm starting by updating it to the same (OK, still not great) standard as Duck! Me? Then I need to flesh out the middle section.

I still think it needs a better name though. Any suggestions?

Jeremy
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Good to hear you're back on the case. (Duckman was a private detective, of course.) Some rather random ideas from me...

"One in Six get Lost in DuckSpace"?
I'm not really claiming it's better... Maybe "1d6 to Escape from DuckSpace"? Probably doesn't match the game experience (I love the idea of text adventures but struggle to get anywhere these days.)
"Collapsing the DuckSpace Wave Function"?
"Schrödinger's Duck"?
"All these Ducks are exactly alike"??
"Ducking about once more"?

I see Shakespeare has a line "Holdfast is the only dog, my duck" so maybe there's a play on that?

For some reason, from popular culture,
"Zero Wing - for great justice"
"Someone set up us the duck"

Or maybe, from another place,
"Danger, Duck Robinson"
EdwardianDuck

Post by EdwardianDuck »

BigEd wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:44 am I love the idea of text adventures but struggle to get anywhere these days.)
I did upload a map and annotated walkthrough for Duck! Me?, if that helps.

Jeremy
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

So you did - and many thanks. I like the many nooks and crannies. I've read the first page of the walkthrough but tore myself away, so I still have a chance to explore the game more or less sight unseen.

Return to “new projects and releases: text and graphic adventures”