Some RaspberryPis now available

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
dp11

Some RaspberryPis now available

Post by dp11 »

Some RaspberryPis are now available.

https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/supply ... good-news/

PS I do have an interest , but I hope posting this will help people who haven't been able to get one recently.
BigEd

Re: Some RaspberryPis now available

Post by BigEd »

Great!

For a UK view keep an eye on
https://rpilocator.com/?country=UK
paulb

Post by paulb »

dp11 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:42 am PS I do have an interest , but I hope posting this will help people who haven't been able to get one recently.
Oh well, there went the opportunity for everyone to learn not to rely on a single vendor: hope there isn't another supply chain crisis in the near future. Interesting too that they acknowledge the persistent supply limitations around the Pi Zero in a slightly less evasive way than previously.
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

paulb wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:48 pm Interesting too that they acknowledge the persistent supply limitations around the Pi Zero in a slightly less evasive way than previously.
Wasn't the Zero pricing/availability always based on excess silicon and manufacturing capacity? Neither of which have been reliably available, even before the pandemic, hence the "one per order" limitation. Glad to see they've been able to acquire more concrete production for it, albeit at a higher price. Certainly beats "only available second hand for LOLPRICE".
ash73

Post by ash73 »

Not done themselves any favours by focusing on supplying businesses rather than kids/hobbyists, imho.
scruss

Post by scruss »

baz4096 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:46 pm Wasn't the Zero pricing/availability always based on excess silicon and manufacturing capacity? Neither of which have been reliably available, even before the pandemic, hence the "one per order" limitation.
The one-per-user limitation was because the Zero was made and sold by the non-profit Raspberry Pi Foundation. It was intended to get one into as many hands as possible. It's now made and sold by Raspberry Pi Ltd, so that restriction can be dropped.

A few more Raspberry Pi 4s were available than the older boards because it uses a newer, smaller process than the others. The older boards' SoCs were competing with automotive orders at the fabs, and they tended to win the very limited availability.
ash73 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:14 pm Not done themselves any favours by focusing on supplying businesses rather than kids/hobbyists, imho.
They had to make a tough decision for where the limited availability should go, and they chose trying to keep people in work over hobbyists. Either way, they would have disappointed people. After months of uncertainty, the company I work for has 150 3A+s on the way so we can build products again. Our products are mostly used to monitor and improve yield in agriculture
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

ash73 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:14 pm Not done themselves any favours by focusing on supplying businesses rather than kids/hobbyists, imho.
Agreed. I'd be more forgiving of that decision, if they weren't continually reminding us, in a rather sanctimonious way, that they're a charity.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

There are two RPi outfits: the charity, which is a charity, and the business, which is a business. (The Foundation is the charity, the Ltd is a business.)
dankcomputing

Post by dankcomputing »

I haven't seen a Raspberry PI of any kind on a local store shelf in over two years. The last ones to go were the 400s in those ridiculously high-margin """bundles""" where doing something like throwing in $5 worth of extra hardware was used to double the price. Reminds me of the bad old Wii days, where stores advertised that you could walk up and buy one - so long as you bought an extra few hundred dollars "worth" of plastic attachments and shovelware titles.
scruss

Post by scruss »

BigEd wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:34 pm There are two RPi outfits: the charity, which is a charity, and the business, which is a business. (The Foundation is the charity, the Ltd is a business.)
And the Foundation has very little to do with the day-to-day running or supply situation. They used to make and sell the Zero, but no longer
dp11

Post by dp11 »

Grasshopper wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:09 pm
Agreed. I'd be more forgiving of that decision, if they weren't continually reminding us, in a rather sanctimonious way, that they're a charity.
Can you point me in the direction of where you have been reminded of that ?
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

dp11 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:18 pm
Is this really a serious question? The RPi Foundation has marketed itself as a charity from the very beginning. I thought that was common knowledge. It would actually be quite hard to find an article about them that doesn't mention that they're a charity. And to be fair, they are indeed a registered charity, albeit under the UK's extremely lax regulations governing what can be called a charity.

Your question is akin to asking for evidence that the Pope describes himself as a catholic.

I'm not looking for an argument, but I get the impression that my comment might have struck a nerve. Would you like to explain why? I'm genuinely curious.
dp11

Post by dp11 »

Grasshopper wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:47 pm
dp11 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:18 pm

Is this really a serious question? The RPi Foundation has marketed itself as a charity from the very beginning. I thought that was common knowledge. It would actually be quite hard to find an article about them that doesn't mention that they're a charity. And to be fair, they are indeed a registered charity, albeit under the UK's extremely lax regulations governing what can be called a charity.

Your question is akin to asking for evidence that the Pope describes himself as a catholic.

I'm not looking for an argument, but I get the impression that my comment might have struck a nerve. Would you like to explain why? I'm genuinely curious.
I think you you may have missed that the supply side of Pi's and the charity are separate. So I don't think this statement is true "
reminding us, in a rather sanctimonious way, that they're a charity." but if you have evidence I'd like so see it.
thecellartroll

Post by thecellartroll »

Don't know about England but I work for a Scottish charity and it is a legal obligation for all outgoing communications to list our charity number; therefore we mention we're a charity in everything so anyone that writes about us also describes us as a charity almost immediately. Nothing sanctimonious about it; just the way it is.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

dp11 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:22 pm I think you you may have missed that the supply side of Pi's and the charity are separate.
No, I didn't miss that. But I would make the following observations:
  • Firstly, The RPi Foundation has always heavily marketed itself as being a charity, and that goes way beyond simply listing their charity number. Most customers are going to simply accept their charitable status at face value. Very few are going to dig deeper, and find out that the RPi Foundation is actually split into two parts, and that only one of the parts is actually a charity. So effectively, all the organisations within the RPi group benefit by association with the charity.
  • Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Raspberry Pi Foundation! So, you'd expect it to inherit the same charitable ethos as its parent organisation.
  • Thirdly, even if Raspberry Pi Trading Ltd was somehow a completely separate organisation (which it isn't), the fact remain that The RPi Foundation owns all of the intellectual properly associated with the Raspberry Pi. So they get to determine what organisations are able to use that intellectual property, and under what conditions. They could have compelled Raspberry Pi Trading to prioritise sales to kids and hobbyists if they'd really wanted to.
So, for the above reasons, I think it's a little disingenuous to claim that Raspberry Pi Trading is a completely separate organisation to The RPi Foundation.

Upon reflection, maybe my use of the word "sanctimonious" was a little harsh. However, I keep coming across people who seem to think that because the RPi Foundation is a charity, it's somehow beyond reproach. I don't really buy that. As far as I'm concerned, if you want to call yourself a charity, then you should expect to be held to a higher standard than a commercial organisation.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

It feels to me that this conversation is not a happy one. Can we perhaps leave it be? Before we say things we might regret, for example.
dp11

Post by dp11 »

Grasshopper wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:54 pm
dp11 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:22 pm I think you you may have missed that the supply side of Pi's and the charity are separate.
No, I didn't miss that. But I would make the following observations:
  • Firstly, The RPi Foundation has always heavily marketed itself as being a charity, and that goes way beyond simply listing their charity number. Most customers are going to simply accept their charitable status at face value. Very few are going to dig deeper, and find out that the RPi Foundation is actually split into two parts, and that only one of the parts is actually a charity. So effectively, all the organisations within the RPi group benefit by association with the charity.
  • Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Raspberry Pi Foundation!
The "(Trading)" was dropped over a year ago and the wholly owned status has changed . So that probably reduces the weight of the rest of your arguments.

As this has drifted off topic perhaps we should end this thread as BigEd suggests.
danielj

Post by danielj »

Concur. I think there are probably many more important things in the world to be viscerally irked about beyond the supply of Raspberry Pis. If people want to sound off at the Pi Foundation or Company, by all means write them an email or letter. I'm just mighty happy that there might be some supply flowing through now! (although I've always enjoyed the hunt :D)
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Well, I didn't get where I am today without being viscerally irked about the supply of Raspberry Pis, but that's not to say that my irk has never been so visc.

One thing I didn't understand from all the information is whether they are still making the Raspberry Pi Zero 1.3. I could see the ability to back order a Pi Zero 2 something but I think that has the internet added on it, which I don't need.

Anybody know if the Pi 0 1.3 is still going to be in production, and if not, what I may use instead for Pi 1MHz SCSI/Pi Tube Direct/Pi RGB to HDMI?
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

I suspect the zero 2 is now the only zero you're likely to see, with or without the W for wifi. That's based on this from the news linked in the head post:
we’ve been able to set aside a little over a hundred thousand units, split across Zero W, 3A+ and the 2GB and 4GB variants of Raspberry Pi 4, for single-unit sales
If Eben just says zero, not zero 2, I reckon that probably means that zero 2 is the only zero.

I see he also says the W variant is the one that'll be available - it seems no great harm to me to buy a W even if the immediate application doesn't need WiFi. It's not as if there's a cheaper option without it! Unless you can wait:
As we go through the year, it is likely that you’ll see Zero and Zero W come back into general availability first
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

danielj wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:50 pm Concur. I think there are probably many more important things in the world to be viscerally irked about beyond the supply of Raspberry Pis. If people want to sound off at the Pi Foundation or Company, by all means write them an email or letter. I'm just mighty happy that there might be some supply flowing through now! (although I've always enjoyed the hunt :D)
The funny thing is, that I actually enjoy discussions of this nature precisely because the subject matter is so utterly insignificant in the greater scheme of things. This is my way of taking a break from far more pressing real-life problems.

But I can see that some people here are getting genuinely upset. So, for that reason, I'm happy to let it go.
dp11

Post by dp11 »

Just to clarify the PiZero , PiZero W , PiZero 2 W are all still being made. For instance see the Obsolescence Statement https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/raspberry-pi-zero/ .

I'm not upset , I just don't like unsubstantiated allegations.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Aha, that's good news then. Assuming that they do actually produce any whilst it's "in production"!
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Thanks Dominic!
Raspberry Pi Zero will remain in production until at least January 2026
*TAPE

Post by *TAPE »

BeebMaster wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:27 pm Anybody know if the Pi 0 1.3 is still going to be in production, and if not, what I may use instead for Pi 1MHz SCSI/Pi Tube Direct/Pi RGB to HDMI?
If you really want a Zero 1.3 try CEX (of all places).
Just picked one up from there myself.... for nothing more than curiosity and to fiddle about with!

They seem to have quite a stock of Pi's.....all likely to have not been used at all me thinks.
https://uk.webuy.com/search?stext=raspberry
dp11

Post by dp11 »

Pi Zero W as of posting in stock and you can buy up to 10 at once : https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/rasp ... 8414264403
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

That is good. What is not so good, is that they appear to be more expensive than the price in March of this year :-(

Mark
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Mmm but not the Pi Zero 1.3 which isn't even listed on there. This makes me continue to be disinclined to believe that "in production" actually means "we are making them and they are leaving the factory".
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

Looks like stock is starting to become more available. The Pi Zero W's have been listed for a while now, and restriction on numbers has been lifted a bit. There are now also several different Pi4 models listed:

https://rpilocator.com/?country=UK&instock
scruss

Post by scruss »

BeebMaster wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:55 pm Mmm but not the Pi Zero 1.3 which isn't even listed on there.
I don't think rpilocator is tracking that board. Even though Raspberry Pi Ltd still list it for sale (here: Buy a Raspberry Pi Zero – Raspberry Pi) it effectively went unobtainable when the Raspberry Pi Zero W became more widely available. I suspect if you approached business@raspberrypi.com with a suitably large order (150 is their MOQ, IIRC) they could find them. They're still able to supply any* of the 40-pin Raspberry Pis, if you're patient enough.

---
*: maybe not the 2B with the older 32-bit only CPU, though. Wifi-less 2Bs are still surprisingly popular to a particular sector of buyer who absolutely must not have any exploitable wifi capability on board.

Return to “off-topic”