Apricot Portable

classic non-acorn hardware, software & languages
msknight

Apricot Portable

Post by msknight »

A friend has been clearing her attic and has an Apricot Portable. Not even sure if it works.

Long story short, I'm wondering if there's anywhere she can go to work out what it's worth and possibly find someone who wants to buy it ... ebay being too risky for selling, because of the people claiming it never arrived, or was damaged, etc.

Is there a forum for Apricot users?
All that I've learned - https://msknight.com/bbc
stephen_usher

Re: Apricot Portable

Post by stephen_usher »

No forum I'm afraid. There are only a very few people interested in them (mostly due to curioosity), and because they are very niche (MSDOS but not IBM-PC compatible) not greatly valuable, unless you ask one or two LOLPrice eBay sellers.

Just about a year ago I picked up a complete (other than floppy disks) Apricot FP (the rebranded Portable with 512K RAM instead of 256K) with "mouse" all in for £50.

The most valuable things these days, in terms of retro-computing, would be the floppy disks which came with the machines as there are no consistent sets of disk images for any of the early Apricot machines, either PC, Xi or F Series, only random individual disks. e.g There's an initial GEM install disk, but none of the other three of the set.
msknight

Post by msknight »

Thanks for the feedback. I'll get that to her and see what she wants to do. Much to be done also, as there's a chance someone left the batteries in the keyboard when they packed it away, and if they have... well...
All that I've learned - https://msknight.com/bbc
izzard

Post by izzard »

With apologies for the necroposting, do you have any update on this story?
Does your friend still have the Apricot Portable? Does it work, and/or would she like to sell it? Thanks.

Return to “other vintage hardware, software and languages”