Repton 3 "Now" Screen H

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

joachim

Re: Repton 3 "Now" Screen H

Post by joachim »

picosonic wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:10 pm I found it amusing to see some of the labels were named after drinks

.beers
.spirit
.tonic
.wines
.vodka
.water

lostcode.pdf
What's really weird is that apparently Matthew only uses label names that are exactly five letters long.
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

joachim wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:24 pm
picosonic wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:10 pm I found it amusing to see some of the labels were named after drinks

.beers
.spirit
.tonic
.wines
.vodka
.water

lostcode.pdf
What's really weird is that apparently Matthew only uses label names that are exactly five letters long.
Think I did use meaningful label names at first and settled on five characters to keep the source length down and trying to impose some sort of order on it.
Must have got stuck towards the end creating label names not thinking it would be looked at by anyone other than me.
gfoot

Post by gfoot »

Rocketeer wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:21 pm Think I did use meaningful label names at first and settled on five characters to keep the source length down and trying to impose some sort of order on it.
Must have got stuck towards the end creating label names not thinking it would be looked at by anyone other than me.
It's been very interesting to read through, and start remembering what things mean! Even when the names don't make sense to me, I have to make an association somehow.

I guess you also run into source length problems if you use names that are too long, and sticking to five characters mitigates that.
gfoot

Post by gfoot »

So we never really got to the bottom of exactly what causes this, but it still happens in the new version Matthew released today, so I looked into it some more.

To recap - if you hold down a key while the intro tune plays, then the game runs significantly faster than it does if you don't hold down a key during the intro tune. This seems to apply on multiple versions of the game, in several different emulators, and on real hardware.

I captured traces from beebjit of running the Repton Thru Time game (Repton_Thru_time_D1S2_80T_HG3_ABA748C2_1.hfe). I launched the game, waited a bit to let the disc activity end, then pressed space to start, then after the level loads, I immediately ran all the way to the right, then all the way to the left, then activated the status screen - the emulator runs quite slowly when logging a trace so it was easy to ensure that there were no dead frames in this period, I had the next key pressed before the game was ready for it. I did this twice with a normal start, just tapping Space; and another two times holding down a key (X) while the intro tune was playing. In the normal start cases, the time on the status screen read 9920; in the cases where I'd been holding a key, it said 9926, saving 6 ticks out of 80 (>5%).

The traces are a bit unwieldy, but using some makeshift tools I was able to crop them to just the period from JINGL being called up to when BEGIN is called, and isolate the traces for each IRQ handled in those periods. The thing that jumps out in the results is that when no key was being held during the intro tune, there are a lot more keyboard scans going on in the interrupt handler. In particular 0xF065 (keyboardInterruptRoutine) gets called over 300 more times (336 vs 31). In addition, there are just fewer interrupts in general - even accounting for the slightly shorter execution time, the delta is more than I'd expect.

My guess is that the operating system is somehow stuck in the "auto repeat" keyboard mode, and is not doing its usual scanning for newly-pressed keys - perhaps it's masked them in software as it has its own IER-like variable; or maybe it's disabled the hardware interrupt. But I don't feel this is the complete answer as I don't understand why there is such a different number of vsync events, for example, or 100Hz events in general. The elapsed time difference was not that high - something like 200,000 instructions out of over 5,000,000 - so the number of vsyncs or 100Hz interrupts or ADC conversions etc should only have changed by 5%-10%.

It's interesting that this looks more and more like a general issue rather than a bug in Repton 3, and I wonder how many other games are suffering large numbers of unneeded keyboard interrupts - as clearly Repton 3 works fine with these interrupts (somehow) disabled.

It's late and I've run out of steam without getting to a full answer, but I thought I'd share the results in case anyone else wants to have a closer look. I've put a zip here (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xmj4S2 ... drive_link) containing the four trace files, cropped to just the period between calling JINGL (to play the intro tune) and BEGIN (to display the status screen). Two of them were taken without holding a key during JINGL, the other two were taken with a key being held down.

Also here's my summary of IRQ behaviour for the case where no key was held down. The list at the bottom shows key addresses I'm looking for and their names, and how many times they were hit during interrupt servicing. Above that is a sorted list of sequences of these addresses being hit during interrupt servicing - this is a bit more erratic but maybe gives an idea of what order things happen in.

Code: Select all

gfoot@turtle ~/Documents/beebjit_win_0.9.8/reptontraces
$ cat results1.txt
    1  system VIA, 100Hz, ACIA, ADC end conversion
    1  system VIA, 100Hz, ACIA, keyboardInterruptRoutine, keyboardTimerInterrupt, user VIA, ADC end conversion
    1  system VIA, 100Hz, system VIA, ADC end conversion, ACIA, keyboardInterruptRoutine, keyboardTimerInterrupt, user VIA
    1  system VIA, 100Hz, system VIA, ADC end conversion, user VIA, ACIA, keyboardInterruptRoutine, keyboardTimerInterrupt
    1  system VIA, 100Hz, system VIA, vsync, ACIA, keyboardInterruptRoutine, keyboardTimerInterrupt, ADC end conversion
    1  system VIA, scan keyboard, keyboardInterruptRoutine, keyPressedInterrupt
    2  system VIA, 100Hz, system VIA, ADC end conversion, ACIA, keyboardInterruptRoutine, keyboardTimerInterrupt, system VIA, vsync
    3  system VIA, 100Hz, ACIA, keyboardInterruptRoutine, keyboardTimerInterrupt, system VIA, ADC end conversion
    3  system VIA, 100Hz, user VIA, system VIA, ADC end conversion, ACIA, keyboardInterruptRoutine, keyboardTimerInterrupt
   12  system VIA, 100Hz, system VIA, ADC end conversion, ACIA
   14  system VIA, 100Hz, ACIA, keyboardInterruptRoutine, keyboardTimerInterrupt, system VIA, vsync
   16  system VIA, 100Hz, ACIA, keyboardInterruptRoutine, keyboardTimerInterrupt, ADC end conversion
   16  system VIA, 100Hz, user VIA, ACIA, keyboardInterruptRoutine, keyboardTimerInterrupt
   17  system VIA, 100Hz, ACIA, keyboardInterruptRoutine, keyboardTimerInterrupt, user VIA
   18  system VIA, 100Hz, system VIA, vsync, ACIA, keyboardInterruptRoutine, keyboardTimerInterrupt
   23  system VIA, 100Hz, system VIA, ADC end conversion, ACIA, keyboardInterruptRoutine, keyboardTimerInterrupt
  344  system VIA, 100Hz, ACIA
  394  system VIA, 100Hz, ACIA, keyboardInterruptRoutine, keyboardTimerInterrupt
  402  user VIA
  434  system VIA, vsync
  832  system VIA, ADC end conversion
f065   337  keyboardInterruptRoutine
dd4c    53  user VIA
de4a    67  ADC end conversion
dd0b   487  system VIA
ddcc   391  100Hz
f00f     1  keyPressedInterrupt
ef13   336  keyboardTimerInterrupt
dd15    47  vsync
dca9   391  ACIA
de78     1  scan keyboard
dd6f     0  speech
And here's the summary for the case where I was holding a key during the intro tune:

gfoot@turtle ~/Documents/beebjit_win_0.9.8/reptontraces
$ cat results2.txt
    1  system VIA, 100Hz, system VIA, ADC end conversion, system VIA, vsync, ACIA
    1  system VIA, 100Hz, system VIA, ADC end conversion, user VIA, ACIA
    1  system VIA, 100Hz, user VIA, ACIA, ADC end conversion
    2  system VIA, 100Hz, system VIA, vsync, system VIA, ADC end conversion, ACIA
    2  system VIA, 100Hz, user VIA, system VIA, ADC end conversion, ACIA
    3  system VIA, 100Hz, ACIA, keyboardInterruptRoutine, keyboardTimerInterrupt, ADC end conversion
    4  system VIA, 100Hz, ACIA, ADC end conversion
    5  system VIA, 100Hz, system VIA, ADC end conversion, ACIA, keyboardInterruptRoutine, keyboardTimerInterrupt
   14  system VIA, 100Hz, system VIA, vsync, ACIA
   18  system VIA, 100Hz, user VIA, ACIA
   21  system VIA, 100Hz, system VIA, ADC end conversion, ACIA
  142  system VIA, 100Hz, ACIA, keyboardInterruptRoutine, keyboardTimerInterrupt
  384  user VIA
  416  system VIA, vsync
  616  system VIA, 100Hz, ACIA
  807  system VIA, ADC end conversion
f065    31  keyboardInterruptRoutine
dd4c    37  user VIA
de4a    42  ADC end conversion
dd0b   334  system VIA
ddcc   272  100Hz
f00f     0  keyPressedInterrupt
ef13    31  keyboardTimerInterrupt
dd15    28  vsync
dca9   272  ACIA
de78     0  scan keyboard
dd6f     0  speech
scarybeasts

Post by scarybeasts »

gfoot wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:25 am To recap - if you hold down a key while the intro tune plays, then the game runs significantly faster than it does if you don't hold down a key during the intro tune. This seems to apply on multiple versions of the game, in several different emulators, and on real hardware.
Hmm very interesting.

When the game is running normally, the "slowness" comes from MOS 1.2 doing key checking in the 10ms timer interrupt:

DE31	LDA &EC     ;check if key has been pressed
DE33	ORA &ED     ;
DE35	AND &0242   ;(this is 0 if keyboard is to be ignored, else &FF)
DE38	BEQ &DE3E   ;if 0 ignore keyboard
DE3A	SEC         ;else set carry
DE3B	JSR &F065   ; Call keyboard handler centisecond interupt
(With thanks to https://mdfs.net/Docs/Comp/BBC/OS1-20/DC1C)

MOS does the check if it thinks a key is down. It's presumably checking to see if the key has been released, and doing autorepeat / buffer handling.

When the game is running faster due to the long key press during the intro tune, MOS does not think a key is down (even when it is), so it skips the extra handling.

I'm not sure, but I think the culprit is an OSBYTE called by Repton 3 at $2F84 mid-way through the intro tune:

*       OSBYTE  A6-FF   ENTRY POINT                                     *
*       READ/ WRITE SYSTEM VARIABLE OSBYTE NO. +&190                    *

[ITRP] 2F7E: LDA #$B2       [A=00 X=05 Y=FC S=FF F= Z   1  ] 
[ITRP] 2F80: LDX #$00       [A=B2 X=05 Y=FC S=FF F=     1 N] 
[ITRP] 2F82: LDY #$00       [A=B2 X=00 Y=FC S=FF F= Z   1  ] 
[ITRP] 2F84: JSR $FFF4      [A=B2 X=00 Y=00 S=FF F= Z   1  ] 
This writes $0242, which is the keyboard semaphore. I think you corrupt MOS state if you do that while there's a key down. And weirdness follows.

Cheers
Chris
MillieTD83

Post by MillieTD83 »

If this helps... I've experienced something a little similar playing Bonecruncher. Holding down space or return while moving for some reason speeds up Bono a tiny bit.
REPEAT PRINT'"FOZZY!!!!! ";:UNTIL FALSE

BBC Master 128 w/MultiOS, PiTubeDirect, Econet, Datacentre+CF-IDE interface, Gotek
Diminished

Post by Diminished »

scarybeasts wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:32 am This writes $0242, which is the keyboard semaphore. I think you corrupt MOS state if you do that while there's a key down. And weirdness follows.
I think Chris may be right about this (surprising no-one). If I NOP out the JSR &FFF4 here and then repeat gfoot's experiment, I get 9920 (±1) consistently, regardless of whether I held down a key or not.

(If you want to play along at home, the disc image we're using is this one.)

Looking at the original source, the keyboard semaphore gets written in a couple of places in that intro code (B.CTRLM):

950  .CTRLM
  960  LDX#&FF:TXS
  970  JSRDIABL
  980  LDA#0:STAuserp
  990  LDA#178:LDX#&FF
 1000  LDY#0:JSROSB    <---- here
 1010  JSRTYLER
 1020  JSRINRUP
 1030  JSRSETUP
 1040  ASLA:TAX
 1050  LDAaddrs+1,X:PHA
 1060  LDAaddrs,X:PHA:RTS
 1070  .addrs
 1080  EQUWCABIN-1:EQUWHIGHR-1
 1090  EQUWGAMES-1
 1100  .CABIN
 1110  JSRROTAT
 1120  JSRFILES
 1130  JSREXORS
 1140  JSRDIREC
 1150  JMPCTRLM
 1160  .LYIAR
 1170  JSRROTAT
 1180  JMPCTRLM
 1190  .HIGHR
 1200  JSRROTAT
 1210  JSRCYPHR:BCCLYIAR
 1220  INCuserp
 1230  .GAMES
 1240  JSRJINGL
 1250  LDAtunes:BEQwaits
 1260  LDX#100:JSRDELAY
 1270  .waits
 1280  LDA#178:LDX#0:LDY#0:JSROSB   <---- and here
 1290  JSRROTAT
 1300  JSRTYLER
 1310  JSRINRUP
 1320  JSRSHEET

Why these writes are done is anybody's guess.
gfoot

Post by gfoot »

Indeed that does sound like a possible cause. I'd like to understand more about the effect this is actually having on the number of different types of interrupts though as I find that unexpected - things like causing a lot more 100Hz interrupts to occur, just seem odd - unless my analysis was wrong there!

Also regarding whether it should be fixed to always run the slow way, or always run the fast way, it's an interesting one. Presumably the levels were designed to be run the slow way. But in some configurations this level is actually impossible, as far as I can see, unless you find some way of reducing this interrupt overhead - either this cheat, or a hardware change (like removing the ADC? emulating a Master?), or something else.

At least in beebjit 0.9.8 I can't do better than the attached hand-edited replay capture - I'm pretty sure all control inputs are timed ahead of the corners, yet I'm still several squares behind. So it feels like if there's a way to force the keyboard into "fast" mode when it's intentionally disabled, it would seem a good thing to do!

./beebjit.exe -0 ../beeb/discs/hfe/Repton_Thru_Time_D1S2_80T_HG3_ABA748C2_1.hfe -replay ../beeb/caps/test.cap -debug -commands "breakat 42384000;fast;c;fast;c"
Attachments
reptonthrutime_now_h_edited.cap.zip
(779 Bytes) Downloaded 9 times
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Just completed "Now" on the new Repton 3 Redux (see BBC Micro Games Archive)
Happy to report the time glitch in this version is not present :)
(Either that, or I'm just very good :D )
REPTON 2 IS ENDED

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”