Problems with Arculator

discuss emulators of 26-bit acorn systems e.g. arculator and rpcemu
jms2

Problems with Arculator

Post by jms2 »

I'm having problems with Arculator - this is using v2.1 but I had the same issues with v2.0 as well. It's probably my fault but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong! This is the Windows version BTW, running on Windows 11, and I have been emulating an A5000.

Initially I had put it into the Program Files (x86) folder, and I thought that maybe this might be the cause of some problems as you need administrator privileges to write into that folder. However, moving it elsewhere doesn't seem to have helped much.

The emulator runs, and can run most programs successfully, especially from floppy disc. The problems I have relate to hard disc images mainly. In no particular order:

- If I attach a hard disc image to drive 4, it works. However if I attach another known good image (or the same image) to drive 5, it doesn't work - I get disc error 22.
- The reason why I have been trying to mount two hard disc images related to problems I was having getting applications properly filetyped etc within HostFS. I thought (perhaps wrongly) that you need to have a "proper" Risc OS hard disc image - so I was trying to create a large blank image and then copy files across from a working 19MB image that I have. However I have not had any success with creating blank images and formatting them - I tried various methods including creating images on Disc Image Manager.
- The self-extracting version of Sparkplug runs but crashes out with this error:
Screenshot 2022-10-12 221828.png
- Notice also that the drive names are not reflected on the iconbar in this screenshot. Previously this evening, drive 4 appeared as IDEdisc4, but now it is appearing as simply :4.
- My list of machines has been joined by a phantom one called ".cfg":
Screenshot 2022-10-12 222053.png
So it's a sorry tale of strange problems. I suspect it's either something I'm doing or maybe Windows 11 issues?
IanS

Re: Problems with Arculator

Post by IanS »

Looks like two drives is broken - viewtopic.php?p=341381#p341381

Can you attach the other image to an IDE (virtual) podule?
jms2

Post by jms2 »

Its good to hear that - the lack of second drive functionality was the thing which seemed most like a genuine fault as opposed to just something I was doing wrong.

I have not tried attaching images to podule interfaces this week, but remembering the last time I tried it my recollection is that known good images work, whereas new images that I create don't work.
jms2

Post by jms2 »

Oh and there's something else I forgot to mention. When looking to see if I could delete the mystery cfg file, I looked in the folder 'configs'. This contains a text file saying that machine configurations will be stored there ... but nothing actually is.
jms2

Post by jms2 »

I have resolved a couple of issues:

- For some reason I hadn't downloaded the latest version of the self-extracting !Sparkplug. I found that v2.29 worked.
- HostFS seems to be working fine for me, so maybe I don't need to worry about HD images after all?
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

I've noticed none of the IDE Podules support drives larger than 512MB. The Configure Podule dialogue has a hardcoded limit of 1024 cylinders, 16 heads and 63 sectors as does the New drive dialogue. Ideally LBA sizing needs to be supported.

ZIDEFS certainly supports larger that 512MB and possibly some of the other IDE Podules, provided IDENTIFY returns a valid LBA or LBA48 size.
IanS

Post by IanS »

sirbod wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:04 am I've noticed none of the IDE Podules support drives larger than 512MB. The Configure Podule dialogue has a hardcoded limit of 1024 cylinders, 16 heads and 63 sectors as does the New drive dialogue. Ideally LBA sizing needs to be supported.

ZIDEFS certainly supports larger that 512MB and possibly some of the other IDE Podules, provided IDENTIFY returns a valid LBA or LBA48 size.
But which Archimedes OS supports > 512MB? Were there any soft-load modules for an Archimedes that would allow larger partitions?
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

IanS wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:00 pm
sirbod wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:04 am I've noticed none of the IDE Podules support drives larger than 512MB. The Configure Podule dialogue has a hardcoded limit of 1024 cylinders, 16 heads and 63 sectors as does the New drive dialogue. Ideally LBA sizing needs to be supported.

But which Archimedes OS supports > 512MB? Were there any soft-load modules for an Archimedes that would allow larger partitions?
Many IDEs support partitioning. Including "your" ZIDEFS ;) So you want to be able to specify larger physical drives for it to chew on.

Return to “32-bit acorn emulators”