Windows 11 - Any Acorn emulation issues

discuss bbc micro and electron emulators (including mame) here!
rdm2

Windows 11 - Any Acorn emulation issues

Post by rdm2 »

Hi all

Hope this is the right place to ask this. At present, my most "modern" machine is still running Windows 10 - though thinking of upgrading this to Windows 11.

I'm afraid I'm not that up to date on things either in Windows 11 land or indeed Beeb emulator land so I have a few questions:
1) Does Windows 11 run things like BeebEm, Electrem and Elkulator ok? I've certainly had some trouble in the past running one of the Electron ones on Ubuntu but, to be fair, that did require compiling from scratch which is often problematic no matter what you're compiling.
2) Are those 3 still the best Beeb / Acorn emulators around? I personally prefer Elkulator as I was an Electron user before I got a Beeb.
3) I'm finding the principle of installing W11 a bit of a faff. It seems you need to install it before you can activate it. Am I better off:
  • Buying a W10 activation code (from Amazon presumably) and upgrading to W11 after installing W10 or
  • Getting W11 and then installing from the Microsoft Store? [I may be wrong but it doesn't look like you can buy W11 product keys from anywhere else]
Cheers
R
iainfm

Re: Windows 11 - Any Acorn emulation issues

Post by iainfm »

I've run BeemEm with no problems on Win11 :)
SKS1

Post by SKS1 »

ISTR just installing Windows 11 on my newest system (which shipped with Windows 10), logging in and checking under Settings > Activation (just type Activation in the Settings' search box) and saw that it was already done: 'Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account'.

If you go to Windows Update in Settings on your existing Windows 10 installation, does it say anything about Windows 11 suitability for your system? I think the usual way people get their Windows 11 is to take the upgrade offered in Windows Update. Your Windows 10 installation would need to be up-to-date for that to be offered, though.

Can't help with the 8-bit emulators, but RPCEmu is running fine on my Windows 11 (Core i5-9500).
Miserable old curmudgeon who still likes a bit of an ARM wrestle now and then. Pi 4, 3, ARMX6, SA Risc PC, A540, A440
danielj

Post by danielj »

If it works on 10 it'll work on 11. I've had no issues with 11 at all with anything.

Return to “8-bit acorn emulators”