One year on… Thanks!

suggest games that you’ve always wanted to see on acorn platforms
Rob_hawk

One year on… Thanks!

Post by Rob_hawk »

This time last year the previous occasion I’d touched an Acorn computer was around 1985. I’d long harboured thoughts of in retirement getting my hands on a Model B and spending time on various software and hardware projects that would be rewarding and all importantly keep me out of trouble at home!

The pandemic got me thinking and I thought why wait for another 3 years before I scratch the itch that I’ve had for about 20 years and finally do it. So I got a nice Model B from Ebay, acquired a fine selection of books (with help from people here on *.)that I’m steadily learning from and working through as projects and also some nice hardware add ons as well mainly as a result of being curious about what the machine can do and helping me to learn about the architecture etc.

Any how all importantly early on I discovered Stardot and members on here have…

- Helped me get set-up
- Helped me resolve hardware issues
- Introduced me to great hardware upgrades (Boobip models / Integra-B / NuLA and Pi Co-Pro for starters) and patiently explained what they can do for me answering many questions along the way.
- Provided inspiration for programming projects that I’d like to take on in the future (new games from various sources and people recently learning assembly have been truly motivational)
- Given me the confidence to learn to solder and fix a few minor issues myself.
- Provided a wealth of information about software availability via the excellent archive sites.
- Perhaps best of all provided a real sense of community and inclusiveness which has been most welcome.

I’d just like to say thanks to everyone that has helped me get up and running and help me have a great first year with my BBC B project! The learning curve is steep but it’s great fun.

Cheers

Rob
Last edited by Rob_hawk on Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tricky

Re: One year on… Thanks!

Post by tricky »

It is great to hear another *. success story, all the best with your ongoing journey :)
Rob_hawk

Post by Rob_hawk »

tricky wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:21 pm It is great to hear another *. success story, all the best with your ongoing journey :)
Thanks Tricky! Keep up the great tech write ups as well. The ones that are beyond me right now are all book marked for future reference :D
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Nice one, Rob.

Be careful, though, Beebvid soon mutates into long Beebvid. :lol:
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
Rob_hawk

Post by Rob_hawk »

flaxcottage wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:28 pm Be careful, though, Beebvid soon mutates into long Beebvid. :lol:
I think there may already be symptoms of long Beebvid :lol:
tomkinsg

Post by tomkinsg »

You're dead right Rob - there is a great community of friendlies out here in the Beeb world. I have had a lot of success since getting my hands back on a Beeb since the 1980s all thanks to the people here.

long may it continue.

Glyn
Rob_hawk

Post by Rob_hawk »

tomkinsg wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:01 pm I have had a lot of success since getting my hands back on a Beeb since the 1980s all thanks to the people here.
Great to hear you’re enjoying your experience as well!

Return to “new ideas wishlist & general chat”