Win95 Network Woes

discuss general risc os software applications and utilities
Related forum: adventures

rodders

Win95 Network Woes

Post by rodders »

Finally got my 486 card in my RiscPC to run Win95 - pretty straightforward when you do it right :wink:
However, setting up networking is driving me to distraction, the PCPro3 User Guide doesn't have much to say.
I finally got the adapter set up by letting Windows find it and setting the Interrupt to 12 (as configured in !PCConfig which also specifies options -deh1 -ptcpip) before rebooting.
I've added in TCP/IP protocol and set up DNS servers but there are strange problems.
I can ping www.bbc.co.uk successfully but if I try to load it in IE it complains that it can't connect to the server.
If I use the IP address I got from the ping, it loads the page it but all the images etc. linked with a named address can't be loaded.
It seems like IE isn't getting the IP addresses resolved by DNS.
What is weirder is that www.google.com does load, but with a similar issue with images etc.
Anyone have any ideas?

P.S. !NetSurf works fine in RiscOS so I think my network/router setup is OK even though the RiscPC is plugged into a WiFi extender.
BBC Model B 32k ICL issue 3, WE ROM/RAM board, Speech Processor, TurboMMC, PiTubeDirect
BBC Master 128
RiscPC 64MB+2MB 200MHz StrongArm, PC486 DX100
RiscPC basket case - now up and running
Acorn A3020 being restored
SKS1

Re: Win95 Network Woes

Post by SKS1 »

Is it any better if you got directly to https://www.bbc.co.uk ? Archaic IE might not expect redirection from http to https?
Miserable old curmudgeon who still likes a bit of an ARM wrestle now and then. Pi 4, 3, ARMX6, SA Risc PC, A540, A440
rodders

Post by rodders »

Pretty sure I tried that without success.
BBC Model B 32k ICL issue 3, WE ROM/RAM board, Speech Processor, TurboMMC, PiTubeDirect
BBC Master 128
acorndave

Post by acorndave »

Long time since I played around with W95.

Obviously the version of IE that comes with it will be pretty old. But I guess it should still work in a basic sort of a way. I seem to think there are some network settings in IE itself, but I might be misremembering.

Internet properties / Lan settings or similar. Think you can set it to automatic or provide LAN details etc. Worth having a poke around anyway if you haven't already
SKS1

Post by SKS1 »

"I quickly ran into this fatal issue on other sites: these days, pretty much all websites are secured with HTTPS, and the underlying protocol, SSL, has evolved quite a bit since the late 90s. This meant that none of the HTTPS links I tried in IE4 worked. The problem is that all the cipher suites that old browsers are compatible with are now deprecated, because they’re insecure. This manifests as generic connection errors in IE4."

[From https://medium.com/@snoffeecob/bringing ... d030b75643]
Miserable old curmudgeon who still likes a bit of an ARM wrestle now and then. Pi 4, 3, ARMX6, SA Risc PC, A540, A440
roland

Post by roland »

I think the best way to use IE4 is to use a proxy server. You connect to the proxy with http and the proxy connects to the destination server over https. Or use something like I did here.

You will probably run into other problems as well, like modern versions of JavaScript used on websites.
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
sweh

Post by sweh »

Yeah, Win95 is pretty much unrecoverable when it needs to talk to modern TLS stacks. A traditional proxy is limited 'cos if the app is proxy aware and does CONNECT then the TLS layer is still done between app and server. In limited use cases where you can specify the URL you can force a proxy, but...

More generally you'd need a transparent TLS intercepting proxy (and add the proxy root CA as a trusted CA). That can break the session, so you can be weak between you and the proxy, but strong between the proxy and the server.

That's not a simple setup, though.

(WinXP _can_ be kludged....)
Rgds
Stephen
qUE

Post by qUE »

Definitely likely an issue with TLS support with IE. The latest browser which should work with 9X without patching with KernelEx is roytam's mod of Retrozilla. It enables support of TLS 1.2, but it's days are numbered since the internet is moving to TLS 1.3 which the OpenSSL libs haven't been ported to 9x for whatever reason.

See here for Retrozilla links; https://msfn.org/board/topic/174987-ret ... 2-released

Other than that, like what's been mentioned here with MITM Proxies, there is likely pages on MSFN about it.
rodders

Post by rodders »

Thanks for the advice guys. Not really sure what I'd do with it anyway. Just wanted to see it working.
BBC Master 128
davehill

Post by davehill »

rodders wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:35 pm Finally got my 486 card in my RiscPC to run Win95 - pretty straightforward when you do it right :wink:
However, setting up networking is driving me to distraction, the PCPro3 User Guide doesn't have much to say.
I finally got the adapter set up by letting Windows find it and setting the Interrupt to 12 (as configured in !PCConfig which also specifies options -deh1 -
How did you get !PCConfig to show the networking config? Netlinks is greyed out for me. I have an iCubed EtherLAN 600 and it works fine in RISCOS. Just wondering why its greyed out, or if its the wrong NIC for PCPro3
BBC Master, BBC Model B, Electron, A5000, A4000, RISC PC, PIBridge, Piconet, and too many Raspberry PI's and now an A4 😁
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

davehill wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:32 pm How did you get !PCConfig to show the networking config? Netlinks is greyed out for me. I have an iCubed EtherLAN 600 and it works fine in RISCOS. Just wondering why its greyed out, or if its the wrong NIC for PCPro3
Did you *configure EHVirtual on ?
You need to do this so that RISC OS has one logical interface, and the PC card can prod the other interface.
davehill

Post by davehill »

IanJeffray wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:34 pm Did you *configure EHVirtual on ?
You need to do this so that RISC OS has one logical interface, and the PC card can prod the other interface.
I tried that, but it didn't work. I am wondering if I am missing some files from the PCBits directory. I found !PC on the internet somewhere, but can't confirm what should be in there.

This is what I see. I presume I should be able to click NetLinks and do some kind of configuration. I installed Windows 95 in !PC, but it doesn't show any NICs under System.
Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 5.10.47 PM.png
BBC Master, BBC Model B, Electron, A5000, A4000, RISC PC, PIBridge, Piconet, and too many Raspberry PI's and now an A4 😁
davehill

Post by davehill »

IanJeffray wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:34 pm Did you *configure EHVirtual on ?
Figured it out!! Found this thread... viewtopic.php?t=20966 and it was as I thought, missing the NetLinks directory of PCBits. So I can now see NetLinks in !PCConfig. Will see if I can configure it in Windows now.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

davehill wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:30 pm missing the NetLinks directory of PCBits. So I can now see NetLinks in !PCConfig. Will see if I can configure it in Windows now.
Ah, well, yes, if you want to use the Network Links product you ... well ... need the Network Links product. I assumed that was kind of obvious, but perhaps if you expect that it was all provided together, you wouldn't be aware of that -- it was a separate product.

Return to “32-bit acorn software: other”