SAVE THE DATE! ABUG South 6 to 8 January 2023

threads for previous physical ABug events held in the UK
JudgeBeeb

SAVE THE DATE! ABUG South 6 to 8 January 2023

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Further to the unfortunate cancellation of the event scheduled for November 2022, I am pleased to announce that we have now been offered the venue for 6 to 8 January 2023. This is not a booking thread. I will announce when booking will open nearer the time.

In the meantime, I repeat my call for someone to volunteer to organise another event. I am not in a position to take sole responsibility for another venue. However, if anyone does want to offer to do this, I would be happy to provide as much assistance as possible. I suspect that The Centre for Computing History in Cambridge would be keen to have us back, if someone would be happy to liaise with them and put a date in the diary.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
Rob_hawk

Re: SAVE THE DATE! ABUG South 6 to 8 January 2023

Post by Rob_hawk »

That's excellent news indeed. I'm glad they were able to help you so soon. I'll await news later this year re available places.

I'd love to help with an event in future but being in France is a little limiting at this time however I won't rule it out once I've retired and have more time.

Thanks again.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Just for reference, as this came up at the recent online ABUG, the usual venue for ABUG South is The Ely, London Road, Blackwater, CAMBERLEY, Hampshire, GU17 9LJ.

For photos, description, more details, see the thread for the previous in-person session here.

(As noted, the CCH in Cambridge is also a popular venue down South, but a bit lower capacity, I think. I'm afraid I can't step up to organise but I'm very grateful to those who do. There have been non-ABUG events in and near Bristol, and ABUG events near Leicester, and points further North too, but not recently. All it needs is an organiser and a suitable friendly venue.)
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

HURRAY!!!!!! \:D/ BIRTHDAY BASH!!!!! \:D/

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

I'm on the horns of a dilemma here. I'm looking forward to an ABUG get-together after so long, but I've just been invited to spend a month in Japan over Christmas/New Year/My Birthday. :-k

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
gavinlew

Post by gavinlew »

It’s in the diary :) perfect timing just after Christmas !
--
Atom | Elk +1,+3,Prime +3
B Issue 4, 7 Econet, Wifi Modem | B+ 64k |
Master, QuadOS, External Datacentre, Econet, Morley Teletext | Compact, Econet
A3010 4Mb, Econet, IDE Podule | Pocketbook I and II
Z88 with Beeblink
mattyj

Post by mattyj »

Date saved to the diary.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Just a heads up to say that I am planning (time allowing) to open the official booking thread at 1pm this Saturday (12 November).
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:46 pm Just a heads up to say that I am planning (time allowing) to open the official booking thread at 1pm this Saturday (12 November).
Any chance that you would know about booking discounts by then?

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:46 pm Just a heads up to say that I am planning (time allowing) to open the official booking thread at 1pm this Saturday (12 November).
Also, are those of us who attended the last ABUG South allowed to attend? I remember there being some talk of limited numbers again.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

daveejhitchins wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:11 pm Any chance that you would know about booking discounts by then?
My attempts to engage the venue in discussions about discounts have been met with stoney silence. I think there is a feeling we are already getting a very good deal on the room hire.

The venue does quite frequently have deals. But at present they are all focussed on Christmas.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

baz4096 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:17 pm Also, are those of us who attended the last ABUG South allowed to attend? I remember there being some talk of limited numbers again.
No specially limited numbers this time. We usually limit the numbers to 35 official attendees at this venue (as this is the maximum we can accommodate comfortably on the basis of one full table per attendee). There will be no restrictions on 'plus ones' unless the plus one is a retro computing enthusiast in their own right and ought to be booked in as such.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:22 pm There will be no restrictions on 'plus ones' unless the plus one is a retro computing enthusiast in their own right and ought to be booked in as such.
Could be a problem:

JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

BeebMaster wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:05 pm Could be a problem:
I should have seen that coming. :lol:
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

The booking thread is now live here.

I offer my profuse apologies for uploading this 6 minutes later than promised.
tricky

Post by tricky »

I can neither confirm nor deny rumours that I may have an as yet unreleased port for the BBC Micro models B and B+ available at the event.

Return to “past physical ABug events (UK)”