Arthur on Arculator "Naff RTC month"

discuss emulators of 26-bit acorn systems e.g. arculator and rpcemu
pdjstone

Arthur on Arculator "Naff RTC month"

Post by pdjstone »

I'm trying to run Arthur on Arculator Linux, and I'm getting dropped at the Supervisor prompt with the error "Naff RTC month" . *time shows the date as Mon 01 Jan, 1900. This occurs with both Arthur 0.30 and 1.20. Any ideas what's going wrong?
IanJeffray

Re: Arthur on Arculator "Naff RTC month"

Post by IanJeffray »

Interesting. Arthur Arculator on Windows here shows *TIME as 1/1/1900 too (00:00:00) but the clock application in Desktop is correct. "PRINT TIME$" shows Mon 29th May 0000 and the correct time". Surely must be an Arthur OS issue. Fun!
pdjstone

Post by pdjstone »

To answer my own question, it seems it was a bug with Arculator on Linux specifically. The CMOS RTC clock didn't get initialised with the current date/time. I've fixed it in my branch - https://github.com/pdjstone/arculator-w ... 3aa41a9759. With that change, Arthur boots up fine for me.

This is actually the first time I've ever tried Arthur. It certainly is quite the "early adopter" experience!
SarahWalker

Post by SarahWalker »

Erk! Looks like I never implemented TOD support outside of Windows. I'll add that to the list for v2.2...

On Windows, the year will be wrong as the Arc's RTC doesn't handle year beyond rollover, so Arculator can't inject it in. So you have to set that manually. Don't know why *TIME doesn't work but as it's Arthur it could just be broken.
SarahWalker

Post by SarahWalker »

pdjstone wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:32 pm To answer my own question, it seems it was a bug with Arculator on Linux specifically. The CMOS RTC clock didn't get initialised with the current date/time. I've fixed it in my branch - https://github.com/pdjstone/arculator-w ... 3aa41a9759. With that change, Arthur boots up fine for me.
Great! I'll pinch that if you don't mind? Saves me doing it myself.
This is actually the first time I've ever tried Arthur. It certainly is quite the "early adopter" experience!
It never ceases to amaze me quite how bad Arthur is. It's a pity RISC OS had to carry a lot of the crap bits around for backwards compatibility.
pdjstone

Post by pdjstone »

SarahWalker wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:33 pm On Windows, the year will be wrong as the Arc's RTC doesn't handle year beyond rollover, so Arculator can't inject it in. So you have to set that manually. Don't know why *TIME doesn't work but as it's Arthur it could just be broken.
Isn't the year stored in CMOS? Presumably Arculator could inject the year by overwriting the correct bytes in there?
SarahWalker wrote:Great! I'll pinch that if you don't mind? Saves me doing it myself
Of course!
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Is that an actual real Arthur OS error message then??
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

BeebMaster wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:50 pm Is that an actual real Arthur OS error message then??
Yup... a quick look at the Arthur 1.2 ROM...
Naff.PNG
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Wow, it looks like it's in BASIC as well, think I will have to "upgrade"!
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

BeebMaster wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:01 pm Wow, it looks like it's in BASIC as well, think I will have to "upgrade"!
Yeah, the entire Arthur "Desktop" is in BASIC. =D>
iomanoid

Post by iomanoid »

What a fantastic error message. I think Arthur does not get enough love.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Definitely, should be in the error message hall of fame along with "Printer on fire", "Silly", "Unplugging the Utility module is foolish" etc!
iomanoid

Post by iomanoid »

There’s a band called ‘Division by zero’. They’re not bad

Return to “32-bit acorn emulators”