Night Ninja

ChrisB

Night Ninja

Post by ChrisB »

Introducing Night Ninja - a fast paced arcade style game for the BBC Micro Model B, B+ and BBC Master series computers.
Embrace your inner Ninja and collect fifteen lanterns on each screen then exit through the door.

Inspired by Samurai Lantern by adventurebit - https://adventurebit.itch.io/samurailantern

Featuring large colourful mode 2 graphics and 50fps per pixel sprite movement this game will challenge your reflexes. Can you beat all four levels and set a best time?
nnscreens.png
Default controls are Z/X for left/right, Return to jump and Shift to swing sword. Controls can be redefined at the start of the game.

Change the sound volume with f0 and use f1 to select a difficulty level from the main screen.

Pressing Escape will move to the next screen to allow practice runs but will prevent a best time or high score from being recorded.

Hints for play:
  • Tap the jump key for a small jump or hold for a larger jump.
  • You can change direction and swing your sword whilst in the air.
  • Controlling the number of monsters on the screen is key to success.
  • It is possible to exit some screens at the edge and come back on the other side. This is risky in case a monster spawns but can be useful to get out of trouble.
  • The game will only record a best time when all four screens have been beaten. Best times and high scores are per difficulty level.
  • Th game takes over the whole machine. Exit with CTRL-BREAK & on some machines you may need to reset them completely.
NightNinjaV1.ssd
(14.5 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Tape - CH."" to load.
NightNinjaV1.uef
(16.58 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
.adf image:
NightNinjaV1.zip
(12.47 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Castle Defender, Untitled Dungeon Game, Night Ninja, Wordle, Waffle, Acorn Island, Beebchase, Ghostbusters
0xC0DE

Re: Night Ninja

Post by 0xC0DE »

What a great little game! =D> =D>
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro
Rob_hawk

Post by Rob_hawk »

Once again this is fabulous to play. Lots of fun!

Thanks for providing a new gaming experience on my Model B.
sa_scott

Post by sa_scott »

This is soooo good!!!
--
Stephen Scott, Digital Media Muckerupper
Games: Androidz Redux, Headcase Hotel, Polymer Picker
www.sassquad.net
tnash

Post by tnash »

Really enjoying this, thankyou, and it's so smooth. Would you be prepared to release the sourcecode please? I think there's a few things you're doing that I'd really like to learn from.
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Thanks for the comments. I had toyed with the idea of getting this up on github or similar but I'm very much a "get it to work" coder and I fear for the sanity of someone who has to unpick my efforts. I might happen - but don't hold your breath. There's a lot of work gone into making the sprite routines faster that includes self modifying code and jumping into the middle of unrolled loops and similar. Add to that my commenting is patchy at best I'm not sure it's a good place to start. :( I would point you at the wonderfully commented source code to ladybug https://github.com/LoveBug2084/LadyBug or to Kevin Edwards's github https://github.com/KevEdwards which contains source from some of his commercial releases.

Having said that is there something in particular that you were interested in - I could see if there's something I could pull out.

Lastly I saw from you intro that you had a go at wordle. Did you see my attempt here : viewtopic.php?f=74&t=24066 there was an interesting discussion on text compression that lead to the idea that it could be done here: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=22686
Castle Defender, Untitled Dungeon Game, Night Ninja, Wordle, Waffle, Acorn Island, Beebchase, Ghostbusters
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

Congratulations ChrisB, wonderful game =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

I too would love to take a peek at the source code, looking at unrolled uncommented code is fun :D
Last edited by lovebug on Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image Image Image
fizgog

Post by fizgog »

Yes if I haven't already said it, it's a great game for the beeb =D> =D> =D> , and I agree with Lovebug, looking at source code helps other wannabe developers, it did for me :D

Which reminds me to stop working on new stuff and to tidy up and release the source code for my second game
Matrix : Gridrunner 2

NB Some developers don't like releasing source code and I respect there decision on not releasing it.
Pitfall, Gridrunner, Matrix: Gridrunner 2, LaserZone, AcornViewer, AcornPad
tnash

Post by tnash »

ChrisB wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:48 am Thanks for the comments. I had toyed with the idea of getting this up on github or similar but I'm very much a "get it to work" coder and I fear for the sanity of someone who has to unpick my efforts. I might happen - but don't hold your breath. There's a lot of work gone into making the sprite routines faster that includes self modifying code and jumping into the middle of unrolled loops and similar. Add to that my commenting is patchy at best I'm not sure it's a good place to start. :( I would point you at the wonderfully commented source code to ladybug https://github.com/LoveBug2084/LadyBug or to Kevin Edwards's github https://github.com/KevEdwards which contains source from some of his commercial releases.

Having said that is there something in particular that you were interested in - I could see if there's something I could pull out.

Lastly I saw from you intro that you had a go at wordle. Did you see my attempt here : viewtopic.php?f=74&t=24066 there was an interesting discussion on text compression that lead to the idea that it could be done here: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=22686
Hi Chris! Totally understand why you wouldn't want us all poking around in your code. Thanks very much for the other pointers, I'll enjoy having a look through Ladybug.

Your Wordle is so much better than mine, unsurprisingly as it was I think the first program I've written since High School ( for one thing I see now that I totally forgot to implement the alphabet at the bottom of the page!). I used the 75k valid word list from
https://github.com/tabatkins/wordle-list , sorted alphabetically, built up an index table for the position in the file of the first two letters and then accessed straight from disk. It's probably horrendously slow on a real floppy but perfectly acceptable on my SD card. And as it was really just an exercise in relearning BASiC, that's good enough for me.
What's your next project?
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

OK. I'll have a look - never done github before so more stuff to learn :).

Next project is Waffle: viewtopic.php?p=360605#p360605
Also been playing with some "procedural" map generation but I don't know where it's going.

Return to “miscellaneous new bbc and electron games”