Moving PMs Deletes Them

feedback, comments and suggestions pertaining to the stardot forum
BeebMaster

Moving PMs Deletes Them

Post by BeebMaster »

My inbox was full, so I marked the whole page of the oldest messages and moved them to a folder I have called "read", but whilst the messages disappear from my inbox, they don't get moved to read, which still has the same message count as before. Can they be retrieved or have they been deleted?
BeebMaster

Re: Moving PMs Deletes Them

Post by BeebMaster »

I thought I'd mentioned it before, and I have, but I don't think it's been looked at.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Just had the same thing again, inbox was full, so new PMs were going in "Read". So I moved 50 oldest messages from Inbox to Read 2, which had 32 messages before I did it, and still has 32 messages, so another 50 PMs have been lost. Can this be looked at please?

Or can I have a bigger inbox?
IanS

Post by IanS »

How are you counting messages, the count at the top of the folder can be very wrong.
messages.png
messages.png (27.53 KiB) Viewed 3137 times
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Oh yes - I was counting 32 because it said 32 in "Read 2"!
Screenshot from 2022-08-20 20-30-53.png
But when I count them myself, there are 50 messages there. The 50 I moved earlier have still disappeared.

My inbox now says 354 of 400, having said 400 of 400 until I did the move, and then moved the 4 which wouldn't fit from Read to Inbox, which does work.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

I think there is a bug with the forum software, such that not all messages are displayed or counted. On another forum that uses the same software, I can’t see various messages that I know are in the database. I know they are there, because if I spend a while moving messages around, sometimes some of them reappear.

I also recommended moving them in smaller numbers, not 50 at a time.

You can download the data in a couple of different formats. But I don’t think you get the missing messages like that if they are not being displayed :(

Anyway, I don’t know if the administrators here can do anything about it. You need to ask the report the administrators to report the problem to phpBB or do so yourself.

Mark
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

I've made a start...
Inter-Word wrote: Mr R Lerdorf
Inventor, PHP
Denmark/Canada

22nd August, 2022.

Dear Mr Lerdorf

Why oh why oh why oh why
..where do I actually send it?
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

Just wanted to add something here that might be of use. I created a PM subfolder for the first time the other day, and I was asked what I wanted the default action to be should more than 400 messages be added to it:
Screenshot 2022-09-16 at 09.56.52.png
There's some default actions that might affect how messages are handled when moving between folders?

Might be worth checking your settings BeebMaster.

There's also a setting that prevents new messages appearing if your main inbox is full, which will mean they sit in the sender's outbox until the recipient notices their inbox is full. This may be the cause of a few other forum member's issues - perhaps a few of the "it hasn't left my outbox" complaints.
I run a little online shop called "Vintage Imitation Parts" to sell a few Acorn Archimedes and BBC Micro related bits and pieces, such as my imitation keyboard surrounds and just recently my imitation function strips.

Take a look! vintage.imitation.parts

Return to “stardot FORUM”