RPCEmu - Adding Imaged HDD, Computer Concepts CompressFS.

discuss emulators of 26-bit acorn systems e.g. arculator and rpcemu
geraldholdsworth

Re: RPCEmu - Adding Imaged HDD, Computer Concepts CompressFS.

Post by geraldholdsworth »

ScurvyGeek wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:13 pm That's the thing Gerald - it won't open it. Is it too big? Is it related to the version of MacOS I'm using? The CPU Architecture?
Shouldn't be, as the code is the same for all OSes and CPUs - but I've never actually used anything that big in DIM.
ScurvyGeek wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:13 pm I created a new image - smaller - 1GB in size. Used it for a few bits and bobs, when I quit RPCEmu, it damages it. This, at least, will open in Disc Image Manager (only image I've had any success with). It displays that the root directory is broken, but seemingly can't fix it. :-(
I've only ever tested fixing broken directories on those I deliberately broke myself. I don't come across many of them :wink:
As Bryan has said, why bother using an HD image and not HostFS? I find HostFS perfectly adequate.

Cheers,

Gerald.

EDIT: As a matter of interest, and to improve DIM, can you send me your broken image?
Gerald Holdsworth, CTS-D
Extron Authorised Programmer
https://www.geraldholdsworth.co.uk
https://www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk
Twitter @radiogezza
ScurvyGeek

Post by ScurvyGeek »

Hello Bryan,

At this point I guess it's just for intellectual curiosity, although it would be useful to setup a boot image "just so" and then share it with someone. Also because there's less chance of munging file attributes inside an image (in theory - the exact opposite seems to be the case for me! :lol: )

I have a few RiscPC's I'd like to make perfect copies of. It's clear that dd is doing this for me, but it's annoying that I can't get what others have done successfully to work with the emulator. How cool would it be to image, add to emulator, match the boot ROMS, set as boot drive and have an exact virtual replica of the RIscPC??

In terms of what hardware I'm working with - I've tried it on two different platforms. My laptop is a MacBook Pro 16" with Core i9 processor and 32GB of RAM. The OS is macOS Monterey 12.1 and RPCEmu is (I believe) the latest - 0.9.4. On this platform Ive tried - variously - RISCOS 3.6, 3.7 and bought a copy of 4.02. My desktop platform is a Mac mini with ARM M1 chip, 16GB RAM and the same macOS (Monterey 12.1). On this I'm using 0.9.4 also, here as part of a downloaded bundle.

Failure to mount the dd'ed image is consistent across both platforms. The image corruption (broken root directory) has only been on my Mac mini.

Thanks for all the help!

-Austin.
ScurvyGeek

Post by ScurvyGeek »

geraldholdsworth wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:00 am
ScurvyGeek wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:13 pm That's the thing Gerald - it won't open it. Is it too big? Is it related to the version of MacOS I'm using? The CPU Architecture?
Shouldn't be, as the code is the same for all OSes and CPUs - but I've never actually used anything that big in DIM.
ScurvyGeek wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:13 pm I created a new image - smaller - 1GB in size. Used it for a few bits and bobs, when I quit RPCEmu, it damages it. This, at least, will open in Disc Image Manager (only image I've had any success with). It displays that the root directory is broken, but seemingly can't fix it. :-(
I've only ever tested fixing broken directories on those I deliberately broke myself. I don't come across many of them :wink:
As Bryan has said, why bother using an HD image and not HostFS? I find HostFS perfectly adequate.

Cheers,

Gerald.

EDIT: As a matter of interest, and to improve DIM, can you send me your broken image?
Of course! I'll fire it your way later. Thanks for all the assistance Gerald, it's genuinely appreciated.

Kind regards,
Austin.
flibble

Post by flibble »

I should point out that RPCEmu currently only supports HD images that use CHS addressing, unlike real RPCs that can also support LBA addressing drives. LBA is normally used on larger more modern HDs.

Return to “32-bit acorn emulators”