ABUG SOUTH (in person) 18 to 20 March 2022 (Tables needed)

threads for previous physical ABug events held in the UK
Prime

Re: ABUG SOUTH (in person) 18 to 20 March 2022 (FULL - taking names for reserve list)

Post by Prime »

Right,

Friday 18th March booked off work.
Hotel room booked Friday - Sunday.

So anything anyone want me to bring? Atom / Beeb addons etc?
At the very least I'll prolly bring my PicoBeebSID and AtomVGA+PicoAtomSID boards.

Cheers.

Phill.
Soruk

Re: ABUG SOUTH (in person) 18 to 20 March 2022 (FULL - taking names for reserve list)

Post by Soruk »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:59 am
  • the hotel is a snake-free venue; please do not bring any snakes to the event
Oh, and there was me hoping to see a port of Python to the BBC Master. Oh well.

(Joking, looks like I won't be there. I'm on the waiting list for the queue to get on the reserve list.)
Last edited by Soruk on Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix Brandy BASIC VI (work in progress) The Distillery (another work in progress) Note Quiz (New educational software for the BBC and modern kit)
BBC Master 128, PiTubeDirect (Pi 3B), Pi1MHz, 5.25+3.5in dual floppy.
sPhilMainwaring

Post by sPhilMainwaring »

Please add me to the reserve list 18-20th

JudgeBeeb

ABUG SOUTH (in person) 18 to 20 March 2022 (FULL - taking names for reserve list)

Post by JudgeBeeb »

The discount codes for hotel rooms seem to be working again. However, the number of available rooms are falling rapidly. There are only 10 rooms available and only one of those is a double room.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:36 pm The discount codes for hotel rooms seem to be working again. However, the number of available rooms are falling rapidly. There are only 10 rooms available and only one of those is a double room.
That must have been available for just a few hours :?

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

daveejhitchins wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:47 am
JudgeBeeb wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:36 pm The discount codes for hotel rooms seem to be working again. However, the number of available rooms are falling rapidly. There are only 10 rooms available and only one of those is a double room.

Dave H.
Nope. Still working for me.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:02 am

Dave H.
Just tried again: 1 Room 2 adults and 1 room 1 adult 18th to 20th March and tried both promos . . . Not sure what's going on here?

(the 1 room 2 adults is what I actually need)

And tried 2 different browsers!

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

daveejhitchins wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:26 am
JudgeBeeb wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:02 am

Dave H.
Just tried again: 1 Room 2 adults and 1 room 1 adult 18th to 20th March and tried both promos . . . Not sure what's going on here?

(the 1 room 2 adults is what I actually need)

Dave H.
D'oh!!! I was using the wrong dates. Have you tried phoning the hotel and seeing if they can be persuaded to provide you with the discount?
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:30 am D'oh!!! I was using the wrong dates. Have you tried phoning the hotel and seeing if they can be persuaded to provide you with the discount?
Not only have I tried that - the lady I spoke to gave me the 'phone number of the head-office booking centre and neither could help! It seem it's all automatic, dependant on rooms available, time of year and some other parameters :?

Oh well. It looks like the Premier inn, only 3.5 miles away, will have to do. Sharing with JGH so can't use Travel Lodge as they don't do 'twin' beds :lol:

Dave H.
SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns »

Wow, I certainly missed the posting of this and have missed out, even if there's a mass exodus of confirmed visitors.

I'll certainly be up for attending if there's another one later in the year.
Just remember kids, Beeb spelled backwards is Beeb!
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

SimonSideburns wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:51 pm Wow, I certainly missed the posting of this and have missed out, even if there's a mass exodus of confirmed visitors.

I'll certainly be up for attending if there's another one later in the year.
I have every plan to arrange another one soon and, hopefully, for it to be back to the full size. It is very important that the March event goes well and people come away feeling confident and comfortable about returning to further events.
DamoJay

Post by DamoJay »

Darn , missed this an only live down the road. Please can I go on the reserve list for the full weekend. Thanks Damian
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

You should all have received PMs regarding payment. We have quire a few newcomers this time, some of whom my have limited PM functionality. if you have not received the PM or have any other difficulties, please post a message in this thread.
inky

Post by inky »

Thanks for organising and letting me pop in from the reserves. Would you put me down for an L t-shirt please.
elk1984

Post by elk1984 »

As it's my first ABUG I'm not really sure what to expect. I have a poorly Beeb and a drive bridge that needs recapping and would like to fit a GoTek for a dead drive in the bridge. If i pick up the bits, would someone be able to help be fix them up without burning the hotel (or myself) to the ground? I have a soldering iron but I'm a total hardware n00b!
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

elk1984 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:40 pm As it's my first ABUG I'm not really sure what to expect. I have a poorly Beeb and a drive bridge that needs recapping and would like to fit a GoTek for a dead drive in the bridge. If i pick up the bits, would someone be able to help be fix them up without burning the hotel (or myself) to the ground? I have a soldering iron but I'm a total hardware n00b!
Burning the hotel to the ground is pretty much mandatory for you first visit.

But being serious, there will almost certainly be someone who can help you with that. What is the problem with the Beeb?
elk1984

Post by elk1984 »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:19 pm But being serious, there will almost certainly be someone who can help you with that. What is the problem with the Beeb?
A dodgy down arrow key (I've tried contact cleaner and bashing the daylights out of it), cracked case and surround which I think I'll have at least a patient for Baz's replacement keyboard surround, a mandatory recap, and some light butchery that was done to fit a Watford Electronics RAM/ROM board where I'd prefer the switches not to be put through the keystrip.

It was bought from this Facebook Marketplace listing. https://www.facebook.com/groups/6258931 ... 3909969619
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Lateral Flow Tests
One of the key goals of this event is to restore confidence in group events, hopefully with a view to organising another event pretty soon after this one without the limit on the number of attendees. Part of the strategy to that end is to encourage attendees to take Lateral Flow Tests.

Consistent with the general approach to this event, it will be a matter of personal choice if and when you take tests. However, it would be helpful if we can have a reasonable supply of tests at the venue available for those who want to use them. It would therefore be of great assistance if as many of you as possible could order a box of Lateral Flow Tests and bring it to the venue to add to the 'stock'. They can be ordered online here. They are still available and still free.

Spouses and partners
A small number of people have requested to bring a spouse or partner. I would like to be accommodating as possible in this regard. I would simply ask that any spouses or partners do not enter the main event room when it has the full number (25) of attendees. Based on prior events, the full complement of attendees tend only to be present during the Saturday day time. I hope that is considered fair.
markoceans

Post by markoceans »

Please could you add me to the reserve list for the Saturday please?
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

A couple of updates. First, all confirmed attendees have paid. It is, therefore, unlikely that anyone on the reserve list will be offered a place. (But fear not! As previously stated, I am hoping to organise a much bigger event in the not too distant future. So keep watching the forum.)

Secondly, I had not anticipated quite how busy I would be these last few weeks. As a consequence, there hasn't been time to organise t-shirts. Hopefully, that is something else I can do for the next event.
elk1984

Post by elk1984 »

Prime wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:47 am At the very least I'll prolly bring my PicoBeebSID and AtomVGA+PicoAtomSID boards.
Anything SID related would be interesting :D
elk1984

Post by elk1984 »

I'm starting to pull together everything for next weekend, but have no decent way of transporting the three computers plus various cables, drives etc. down with me. I'm thinking of picking up a set of suitable really useful boxes but wanted to check what size people use. I'd prefer to pack the computers (BBC Master, BBC Model B and Electron with Plus 1) in separate boxes, the extras like Gotek drives etc I'm more relaxed about sticking in a 19l really useful.

What sizes do people use? Do they keep machines safe?
tricky

Post by tricky »

I think zombiedog if I have the name right uses them. I use the cheap, £9 tubs to take four beebs in, but they are in the car and I'm very careful, so probably not what you want.
elk1984

Post by elk1984 »

Thanks. I'm in the car too, I've gone for a couple of 50l boxes and a shedload of bubblewrap.
https://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/ ... etails.php
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

I always go for boxes that I can put computers in horizontally. I cringe when I see computers stacked vertically into a tub, all the innards will be falling out!
Dick Solomon: Again! This pizza is useless! Just look! (opens vertical box)

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
BigEd

Re: ABUG SOUTH (in person) 18 to 20 March 2022 BOOKING THREAD

Post by BigEd »

Just to boost this signal...
JudgeBeeb wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:36 pm
elk1984 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:30 am Is Friday normally a setup day, or is it usually a full day of activities? I'm travelling on the Friday so want to set off in good time.
This year we only have the room from 2pm on Friday. In any event, most people don't start arriving until about 5pm or 6pm. There is no formal timetable. But it is worth getting there before dinner time on Friday (usually at about 7pm).
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Just sorting out the insurance for the event. Please can you let me know if you are planning any of the following activities at the event:
Trampolines, Acrobatics, Gymnastics or any activity requiring the use of harnesses. Shooting, Archery or use of projectiles. Motorised/mobile or aerial displays or races (including gravity powered go-karts). Any forms of fire i.e. torches, bonfires, fireworks, beacons or fire pits (not including BBQ's). Any activity taking place in or on water.
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:24 am Just sorting out the insurance for the event. Please can you let me know if you are planning any of the following activities at the event:
Trampolines, Acrobatics, Gymnastics or any activity requiring the use of harnesses. Shooting, Archery or use of projectiles. Motorised/mobile or aerial displays or races (including gravity powered go-karts). Any forms of fire i.e. torches, bonfires, fireworks, beacons or fire pits (not including BBQ's). Any activity taking place in or on water.
Whilst all of those sound pretty awesome, and would definitely make for an entertaining ABUG, sadly I won't be undertaking any of them.

Unless you mean wiring harnesses, I might have one or two of those.
I run a little online shop called "Vintage Imitation Parts" to sell a few Acorn Archimedes and BBC Micro related bits and pieces, such as my imitation keyboard surrounds and just recently my imitation function strips.

Take a look! vintage.imitation.parts
JudgeBeeb

Re: ABUG SOUTH (in person) 18 to 20 March 2022 (Tables needed)

Post by JudgeBeeb »

I have been liaising with the venue and sounds as if some of their tables have succumbed to COVID infection. So if anyone has some rectangular trestle-type tables they can bring with them, that would be so much appreciated.
kieranhj

Re: ABUG SOUTH (in person) 18 to 20 March 2022 (Tables needed)

Post by kieranhj »

Thought I’d make a couple of requests as folks are starting to think about packing up for Friday. :-

Does anyone have a spare 6522 VIA I could nobble for my Cherry Master, please?

And will anyone be bringing an Archie POST-box and be willing to help me diagnose the dreaded RAM Control Line Failure on my spare A3020? [-o< (I’ve traced the board to the best of my ability, which isn’t saying much, but pretty sure some IC’s need replacing.)

All thanks in advance.
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

Return to “past physical ABug events (UK)”