Wordle for the BBC Micro & Electron

ChrisB

Wordle for the BBC Micro & Electron

Post by ChrisB »

The current internet sensation comes to the BBC Micro! Now with an improved dictionary & a graphical version!

As seen at Tech Radar!

Here's an unofficial conversion of Wordle (https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/) by Josh Wardle. Requires a BBC B/B+/Master or Electron. It uses a slightly tweaked version of Wordle's target word list. It has two dictionaries of 7000 and nearly 12,00 five letter words to validate guesses dependent on available memory.

Statistics are for the current session only but it does use a machine and dictionary independent seed that allows you to share puzzles with your friends.

DFS:
wordle.ssd
(57.5 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
ADFS:
Wordle.zip
(70.8 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Play at bbcmicro.co.uk

There is an alternate text colour scheme available on the disk image. CHAIN "IntroA" to use it.
wordle1.png
wordle2.png
graphic wordle2.png
graphic wordle graph.png
Edit V6 attached
Last edited by ChrisB on Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:17 am, edited 7 times in total.
Castle Defender, Untitled Dungeon Game, Night Ninja, Wordle, Waffle, Acorn Island, Beebchase, Ghostbusters
flaxcottage

Re: Wordle for the BBC Micro

Post by flaxcottage »

Nice one Chris. =D>
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

ChrisB wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:58 am The current internet sensation comes to the BBC Micro!
B A R V O !

=D> =D> =D>
leenew

Post by leenew »

lurkio wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:12 am
ChrisB wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:58 am The current internet sensation comes to the BBC Micro!
B A R V O !

=D> =D> =D>
He he he :wink:
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

On bbcmicro.co.uk:

http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=4073

Chris, if you're not totally happy with this, just let me know.

:idea:
marcusjambler

Post by marcusjambler »

TOUGH :D
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

@lurkio I can't see how it would be a problem...

However - I've noticed that Wordle gives different messaged depending on how well you did - so I've added that. Also corrected a bug causing a hang in pressing return on a blank entry. Please update with this version.
Castle Defender, Untitled Dungeon Game, Night Ninja, Wordle, Waffle, Acorn Island, Beebchase, Ghostbusters
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

ChrisB wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:05 pm Also corrected a bug causing a hang in pressing return on a blank entry.
Was just about to report this.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

ChrisB wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:05 pm I've noticed that Wordle gives different messaged depending on how well you did - so I've added that. Also corrected a bug causing a hang in pressing return on a blank entry. Please update with this version.
Uploaded "Version 2". Please clear your browser caches if necessary.

:idea:
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

I got my first guess in four, the answer being patel. That's some dictionary you're using.
Every word on the official version seems to be in common usage, maybe a bit of trimming is necessary?
I love your conversion btw!
marcusjambler

Post by marcusjambler »

Phew finally won one... Great game ChrisB =D>

My colour blindness is making it tough to see the green/yellow difference.
Is a palette change option possible [-o<
Soruk

Post by Soruk »

What does the machine code blob loaded at &900 do? I was looking to see if I could make it run on RISC OS and Matrix Brandy, but discovered this blob and my 6502 knowledge is very limited...
Matrix Brandy BASIC VI (work in progress) The Distillery (another work in progress) Note Quiz (New educational software for the BBC and modern kit)
BBC Master 128, PiTubeDirect (Pi 3B), Pi1MHz, 5.25+3.5in dual floppy.
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Thanks for comments.

Dictionary. Always a tricky one. It is apparently the common words from 12 word lists so should be reasonably "normal". I'll look again at the original one (with a bit of sanitising <cough> color honor <cough>) I might go with a combined approach.

Colours: These reflected the online version. What would be a better combination?

Machine code blob: This is mostly the dictionary search function and a couple of other bits. You might be better rolling you own as you could use the original dictionary.

There is a variance in the way the letters are coloured from the online version that I'll look to correct (if you guess a word with a double letter both in the wrong place they are both marked as yellow rather than only one marked as yellow in the online version)
jms2

Post by jms2 »

This is really nice!

However I have got a bit puzzled by something - if you enter a word which isn't in the word list you understandably get the message "Not in word list"... but then you don't seem to be able to escape from that situation. Pressing return again gives the same message, and pressing other keys doesn't seem to do anything..?
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

I think you can backspace over your letters in that case.
jms2

Post by jms2 »

Ah yes, of course. Thanks.
dp11

Post by dp11 »

Bug ? if I enter a word with a double letter e.g. QUEEN I get two yellow "e"'s even though the word has only one "e"
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Bug ? if I enter a word with a double letter e.g. QUEEN I get two yellow "e"'s even though the word has only one "e"
Depends how you look at it :). This is not the behaviour of the web version so I'm looking to change it. Needs a slight rework to the logic.
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Version 3 attached above.

Changes
  • Changed to use Wordle's target word list. This means the dictionary has changed and seeds are different.
  • Corrected behaviour where guessed word has a double letter in the wrong place.
  • Updated "block" display on game completion to be slightly wider/blockier.
  • Allowed game colours to be changed. Change lines 8-10 in "Intro" - although the words in the instructions will stay the same....
@lurkio - could you update this version and the second screenshot.
jms2

Post by jms2 »

I just played the "real" version for the first time and I was very impressed that the BBC version appears to be literally identical.
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

ChrisB wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:47 am @lurkio - could you update this version
Uploaded Version 3 to bbcmicro.co.uk. Please clear your browser caches if necessary.

ChrisB wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:47 am @lurkio - could you update this version and the second screenshot.
Not sure what you're asking me to do re screenshots..?

:?:
Rich Talbot-Watkins

Post by Rich Talbot-Watkins »

Nice implementation! Out of interest, how are you compressing the dictionary? Is it Huffman or something more simple?
marcusjambler

Post by marcusjambler »

Allowed game colours to be changed.
Thanks Chris... stops me from guessing :D
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

I'd go for Red for bad, green or yellow for good but not there, and blue for correct.

Annoying as I'm crap at anagrams. I can never think of real words that fit the letters, and my method with the prototype coloured peg game is to put the pegs in sequential order, then swap them around. Which you can't do if the "pegs" (letters) must be in specific orders (be real words).

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

To make it work on a platform where you have to be a system user to set the time, use T=TIME+50:REPEAT UNTIL TIME>T

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
iamaran

Post by iamaran »

This is great! The only anomaly I've encountered is the word QWEST .
qwest.png
davidb

Post by davidb »

iamaran wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:00 pm This is great! The only anomaly I've encountered is the word QWEST .
Strangely, that word worked for me. I was more surprised that it was a valid word.
iamaran

Post by iamaran »

davidb wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:02 pm Strangely, that word worked for me. I was more surprised that it was a valid word.
I didn't try it, with it not being a real word! I tried QUEST twice, just in case.
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

OK - lots to cover so in reverse order.

QWEST - Very peculiar - not in the word list that I can see. Will need to investigate. I've generated another QU word and this was correct.

JGHarston - Time - Understood - which platform is that problematic on?

Colours - these were taken from the on-line version (green/yellow/grey). We don't have a grey on the Beeb so I chose blue. In any case you can change them. I might look to provide a "high contrast/colour blind" version as an alternative on the next release.

Dictionary - Huffman. The dictionary is broken down into chunks to allow for faster searching. These are by letter so I don't store the first letter of the words.

Lurkio thanks - you didn't have the second shot on the other page so it doesn't matter - However - I do notice that there is a problem with the colouring of the keyboard at the bottom of the screen so there's going to be another version :(. I'm going to have to solve this "qwest" issue as well.
sa_scott

Post by sa_scott »

This is a great piece of work ChrisB - I love it!

While playing it, it got me thinking about accessibility. I'm assuming that the web version of Wordle makes use of screen readers, when available.

I'm wondering whether this version can use either of the following:
  • particular tone for each combination of letters;
  • perhaps use Superior Software's Speech! synthesizer to state each letter as it is typed, read out each letter and whether it is correct or not?
Certainly would be an interesting exercise if nothing else!

Other than that, it's a great conversion :)
--
Stephen Scott, Digital Media Muckerupper
Games: Androidz Redux, Headcase Hotel, Polymer Picker
www.sassquad.net

Return to “miscellaneous new bbc and electron games”