Bobajob Street: the sequel to Birthday Adventure!

development and releases of new/rewritten text adventures
julie_m

Bobajob Street: the sequel to Birthday Adventure!

Post by julie_m »

Bobajob Street is the sequel to Birthday Adventure. It's still a proof of concept for my AdveBuilder development system. Here I'm trying out polystate objects, and introducing container logic and non-player characters .....

You can download an SSD image here (BBC model B / Master; the intro uses MODE 7 but the game itself will run on an Electron) or play the game in JSBeeb here.

Job opportunities are getting rather thin on the ground for soldiers of fortune; and when people do want your services, they are rarely prepared to pay good money, expecting you to be grateful for the opportunity to be a hero. One evening, you were walking through a part of town where you don't normally go, when you discovered a street where only one shop was open. That was a strange employment agency, promising to find you odd jobs to earn an odd bob. In desperation, you signed on the books. On your first day, you have been given the following list of jobs and dropped off in a village:
  • Mrs Partridge, no. 1 (crazy cat lady): Feed Tiddles
  • Mrs Turtledove, no. 2 (harassed mother): Return book to library
  • Mr French (newsagent): Mend leaking pipe in flat
  • Mr Colley, no. 4 (old hippy): Water pot plant
This game took a bit of a dark turn, so I'm releasing it now in time for Hallowe'en! :D Don't have nightmares!
fuzzel

Re: Bobajob Street: the sequel to Birthday Adventure!

Post by fuzzel »

Hi Julie, I've downloaded your game and am looking forward to playing it. Another original idea as well. It's actually my birthday tomorrow so thanks for the present, I'm sure I'll enjoy it! :D
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

I'm enjoying this little game (I presume little). I've come across a bug, POUR MILK results in "No such FN/PROC at line 1260."
julie_m

Post by julie_m »

fuzzel wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:57 pm I'm enjoying this little game (I presume little). I've come across a bug, POUR MILK results in "No such FN/PROC at line 1260."
It's little; not quite as little as Birthday but still fits in MODE 6, so you could run it on an Electron although the intro would be a bit corrupt.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback; and that should now be fixed in the source and SSD image on GitHub and the JSBeeb link. (I don't think it's too spoiler-y to say the game was definitely solvable with different word choice; but still, I don't believe "guess the author's precise phrasing" should ever be the whole of a puzzle!)
julie_m

Post by julie_m »

I've taken on board some more play-testing feedback and added some alternative phraseology, so the game (and especially the finish) is less dependent on the player using the exact words. The latest version can always be found on GitHub and in my JSBeeb link.

Return to “new projects and releases: text and graphic adventures”