Playing Acheton on BBC with Turbo MMC

discuss classic text/graphic adventures for the bbc micro & electron
Beowulf1806

Playing Acheton on BBC with Turbo MMC

Post by Beowulf1806 »

Hi everyone,
I've just begun discovering the BBC model B which I bought on Ebay. I installed Turbo MMC on it, which works perfectly. As an avid text adventure games player, I wanted to play Acheton on it (Yes, I know it's one of the toughest). I'm a little bit frustrated though, because it's not possible to save a game. The Acheton virtual floppy disk is not writeable. I created a virtual copy of it (80 tracks format) that was write enabled, but when I try to save, the game crashes. If I had a real floppy disk drive (which I haven't), then I would enter the save command, the game would ask me to insert a save disk in drive. The game would be saved and I would insert back the game disk to play. The problem is I haven't found any way to swap the virtual disks during play to save my game. And Acheton's interpreter does not accept any disk command, nor does it check any drive but drive 0!

Has anyone found a solution for this kind of problem. I suspect that many adventure games on the BBC show the same anomaly with Turbo MMC...
Beowulf1806

Re: Playing Acheton on BBC with Turbo MMC

Post by Beowulf1806 »

Thanks. I'll try and will tell you if it worked.
Beowulf1806

Re: Playing Acheton on BBC with Turbo MMC

Post by Beowulf1806 »

It worked! I downloaded the Topologika version and using it on drive 0, I can save the game!
Thanks Lurkio for your help.

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic adventure games”