Androidz Redux released

sa_scott

Androidz Redux released

Post by sa_scott »

Hi all,

I have great pleasure in releasing Androidz Redux - an attempted remaster of my 1994 arcade game for the BBC Micro! :D

Play online via jsBeeb - https://bbc.godbolt.org/?disc=https://w ... d&autoboot, or download the attachment below.

Featuring 20 levels, and a lot of shoehorning to get the game into the extra colours available under Mode 2, Androidz Redux features a handful of newly designed graphics, and some revised gameplay.

I'll be in the process of uploading the game to my website, and to Github in the coming days. I'm hoping to create a more annotated version of the code, so that anyone interested can perform a compressed build of the game.

I've now pushed a repo of the current codebase to https://github.com/sassquad/androidz-redux

I've wanted to get this out of the door for months, but have been waylaid by all manner of distractions, and sometimes sheer lack of enthusiasm, developer burnout. You name it, I've been through it. But here we are.

A massive thank you to everyone who has responded to my nagging threads over the past year (yes, it was August last year when I began to blow the dust off this game), and particularly to 0xCODE who helped me with a variety of techniques to help me out of tight spots earlier this year.

I've playtested this game to death in the past few days, but am always open to any other issues or improvements that can be made. I'll be especially keen to hear from anyone who tries it on real computers. So far, I've only used the b2 emulator on Mac OS to test it.

I hope you enjoy this remastered edition of the game. :D
Attachments
Androidz-Redux.zip
Android Redux Zipped Disc Image
(10.24 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Last edited by sa_scott on Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Stephen Scott, Digital Media Muckerupper
Games: Androidz Redux, Headcase Hotel, Polymer Picker
www.sassquad.net
0xC0DE

Re: Androidz Redux released

Post by 0xC0DE »

Congrats on getting this released and glad I could help a little :mrgreen:
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro
gfoot

Post by gfoot »

Awesome, great work! It has kind of a Spectrum vibe with the colour scheme, and a bit of a Matthew Smith aesthetic I think?
sa_scott

Post by sa_scott »

0xC0DE wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:07 am Congrats on getting this released and glad I could help a little :mrgreen:
Thank you dear sir!
--
www.sassquad.net
sa_scott

Post by sa_scott »

gfoot wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:31 am Awesome, great work! It has kind of a Spectrum vibe with the colour scheme, and a bit of a Matthew Smith aesthetic I think?
That's high praise. Thank you!

I was initially hoping to use background as well as foreground colours to define the graphics. But this would have resulted in rectangular shapes, so it wasn't practical.

VDU23 graphic definitions is certainly more old school, but the 2 colour approach isn't too bad in some respects.
Aseprite proved very useful for some of the graphics.
--
www.sassquad.net
Stainy

Post by Stainy »

I can`t get this to run in Edge, in fact.. nothing runs on Edge from that page :/
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

A nice little game, though I completed it on my first try in about 20mins.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
sa_scott

Post by sa_scott »

Pernod wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:19 am A nice little game, though I completed it on my first try in about 20mins.
Congratulations!

There was me thinking I had calibrated it to the point where I could hardly complete it in one sitting!
--
www.sassquad.net
nicolagiacobbe

Post by nicolagiacobbe »

Just as Pernod said: a nice little game, thanks for all the effort, now if you excuse me, I am going back to trying to finish it under the 20 mins mark.
sa_scott

Post by sa_scott »

nicolagiacobbe wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:48 pm Just as Pernod said: a nice little game, thanks for all the effort, now if you excuse me, I am going back to trying to finish it under the 20 mins mark.
Thank you for your comments. Would be interesting to see if this is ever nominated for the High Score Challenge! :)
--
www.sassquad.net
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

sa_scott wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:16 am Would be interesting to see if this is ever nominated for the High Score Challenge! :)
I think everyone would get 100% within a couple of hours, so wouldn't be much of a challenge.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
sa_scott

Post by sa_scott »

Pernod wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:21 pm
sa_scott wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:16 am Would be interesting to see if this is ever nominated for the High Score Challenge! :)
I think everyone would get 100% within a couple of hours, so wouldn't be much of a challenge.
I think I just got burned!

I was going to suggest how quickly anyone could complete the game, not the fact that anyone would reach 100%!
--
www.sassquad.net
sa_scott

Post by sa_scott »

Sorry for any inconvenience, but I just realised that I broke the links to the game on my various pages. A big DOH! moment for me :cry:

I've attached the latest version to this message, but the following sites now have the correct link:

https://sassquad.github.io/androidz-redux/
https://github.com/sassquad/androidz-redux
https://www.sassquad.net/riscos#androidzredux

And for the uninitiated, I wrote a blogpost on how to use Beebasm for the creation of BBC Basic based game discs (for Windows and MacOS/Unix)

https://sascott.blogspot.com/2021/08/us ... games.html

I will need to amend the blog to take account of more of the Windows side of things, which I'm hoping to do sometimes this week.
Attachments
Androidz-Redux.zip
(9.9 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
--
www.sassquad.net

Return to “miscellaneous new bbc and electron games”