MRM Software "archive"

contribute new/updated software missing from online archives
lurkio

Re: MRM Software "archive"

Post by lurkio »

philpem wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:58 am I can probably take these on and see if there's anything I can do -- I may have a bit of time spare over Christmas.
Thanks, Phil. Please PM/email me your address and I’ll arrange to have the “unrecoverable” discs sent to you.

philpem wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:58 am Have any of the "unrecoverable" disks been put into a disk drive?
All of the Wabash discs are in the “unrecoverable” group. Most of the Wabash discs haven’t been put into a disc drive by me.

All three of the Micro Power discs, which seem to be official releases, are also in the “unrecoverable” group. One or two of the Micro Power discs have been put into a disc drive by me. There may well be nothing wrong with any of the Micro Power discs — I suspect that the only reason I couldn’t easily archive them is that they’re protected and I’m a dunce at cracking protection. (These aren’t “urgent” because we already have working copies of the games.)

The rest of the “unrecoverable” discs have been put into a disc drive by me: typically I would have kicked off a simple *EXPORT to my DataCentre, the drive would have made some horrible grinding/screeching noises when it tried to read the disc, and I would have immediately cancelled the attempt, removed the disc from the drive, cleaned the drive heads thoroughly, and then moved on to the next disc in the queue.

:idea:
MyJumpersFullOfFears

Post by MyJumpersFullOfFears »

philpem wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:04 pm I've got the Archimedes versions of Fun School 3 and 4 here - along with Granny's Garden and 10 out of 10 German. They'll be getting archived at some point :)
You will no longer need to do that for the Arc version of Fun School 3 for the Over 7s, as FlaxCottage added it to his RISCOS educational archive on 29 January 2022, and you can download it from his site: http://flaxcottage.com/RISCOS/Educational.asp (10 out of 10: German can also be found there). However, you might want to consult http://flaxcottage.com/RISCOS/OnYourMachine.asp to work out how to get it running in Arculator, Red Squirrel or RPCEmu (that page's fourth image also suggests FlaxCottage has the Arc versions of Fun School 2 and 4, but has not added them to the site yet). And for the benefit of anyone else who remembers playing it at primary school, Logotron and BBC Enterprises' Landmark Project: Egypt (which was one of a series of four text-adventure-style historical-themed exploration simulations) was added to the site on 17 March.
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

MyJumpersFullOfFears wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:00 pm ... that page's fourth image also suggests FlaxCottage has the Arc versions of Fun School 2 and 4, but has not added them to the site yet.
Yep, that's true. I need to check that they work and they will be posted. Lots of things going on. Maybe I'll implement a queue rather than a stack for doing things. :lol:
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
philpem

Post by philpem »

Oh well, I imaged my copies this past weekend. No harm in having multiple backups! :D
Questions about software preservation (BBC, RISC OS or other platforms)? Please feel free to ask.
Currently looking for RISC OS software to archive and preserve, please drop me a PM if you have any to offer.
joachim

Post by joachim »

lurkio wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:36 pm A car racing game, a version of Sea Wolf, and a Scrabble scoring program.
I think the Car Race version that's been added to bbcmicro.co.uk (Car /Van Race) should be marked as a prerelease version of Car Race (that was published in The Micro User).
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

joachim wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:01 am I think the Car Race version that's been added to bbcmicro.co.uk (Car /Van Race) should be marked as a prerelease version of Car Race (that was published in The Micro User).
Done, thanks!

:idea:
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

philpem wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:23 pm Oh well, I imaged my copies this past weekend. No harm in having multiple backups! :D
Don't forget about those 5.25-inch MRM floppies I sent you, Phil!

(No rush -- just a gentle (if annoying) reminder!)

8-[ [-o<
philpem

Post by philpem »

lurkio wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:16 pm
philpem wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:23 pm Oh well, I imaged my copies this past weekend. No harm in having multiple backups! :D
Don't forget about those 5.25-inch MRM floppies I sent you, Phil!

(No rush -- just a gentle (if annoying) reminder!)

8-[ [-o<
I haven't forgotten, they're on my in-pile!
Given they're almost all Wabash disks, they're awaiting a bit of special treatment - some of them are in somewhat rough shape and I'm trying to figure out the best way of imaging them without risking causing damage to them.

I'm looking into options in case the discs need drying (common on Wabash disks) but a decent food dehydrator isn't cheap, and the cheap ones seem to have issues with the plastic trays melting...
Questions about software preservation (BBC, RISC OS or other platforms)? Please feel free to ask.
Currently looking for RISC OS software to archive and preserve, please drop me a PM if you have any to offer.
MyJumpersFullOfFears

Post by MyJumpersFullOfFears »

flaxcottage wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:44 pm Yep, that's true. I need to check that they work and they will be posted.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am guessing that on account of the fact a year has passed and they still have not been posted, they did not work?
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Wrong guess!

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Been busy with 8-bit stuff (still am as I've just found loadsa images on a memory stick).

Going back to a stack. :lol:
- John

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Added four of the Fun School titles to the RISCOS-Educational section of the Archive.

Two of the titles were missing the RunImage files and so would not work. :(
- John

Return to “archive submissions”