What is the FASTEST Computer Language - 45 Tested: Round Two! (E02)

for discussion of bbc basic for windows/sdl, brandy and more
tricky

Post by tricky »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl9OegOorYM

I was wondering if someone might want to add a BBC BASIC implementation for the primes sieve to their GitHub project.
I think that it might also need BBC BASIC adding as a target language.
Deleted User 9295

Re: What is the FASTEST Computer Language - 45 Tested: Round Two! (E02)

Post by Deleted User 9295 »

tricky wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:46 pm I was wondering if someone might want to add a BBC BASIC implementation for the primes sieve to their GitHub project.
Perhaps one using Matrix Brandy, which is a reasonably fast language. There is no chance of competing with any of my BASICs unfortunately, as they are notoriously some of the slowest BASIC's around.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

I notice the project wants to build and run the prime program on standard consumer hardware. So: perhaps a chance to see how well beebjit can do, on a 6502 BBC Basic program? (Would we expect beebjit to be faster, or slower, than a native BBC Basic? I think I'd expect it to be slower: even though the interpreter is running as native code, it's still structurally only acting as an 8 bit machine - integers and floats will be quite slow to operate on.)

Edit: oh no, he's OK with giving a free pass to (almost all) even numbers - what a heresy!
Deleted User 9295

BigEd wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:47 pm I notice the project wants to build and run the prime program on standard consumer hardware.
Since the languages are being compared solely on the basis of speed, interpreted languages presumably don't qualify anyway. Any BASIC in the running will have to be a compiled BASIC, which rules out BBC BASIC unless it's the subset of the language accepted by so-called 'BBC BASIC' compilers.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

It turns out that slow and/or interpreted languages are quite welcome: I finished watching the video, and it's very pragmatic and even-handed. It's not really looking for the FASTEST, I think - although there is a leaderboard - it's looking for interesting illustrations of how to solve this problem, in different ways, with different languages.

Edit: the presenter is even asking for input on which small collections of languages to use together and compare.

However, I suspect there's a bit of difficult setup needed - it looks like the uncommon languages are expected to run from a docker image, and to me that's a bit out of scope. Which is to say, some learning and effort would be needed - I don't think it's terribly difficult.
Deleted User 9295

BigEd wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:52 pm It's not really looking for the FASTEST, I think
But that's precisely what the description says: "What is the FASTEST Computer Language?"! If that's just intended to be provocative it has completely misfired with me, because I'm not going to watch a long video to the end to discover that it's not true.
it looks like the uncommon languages are expected to run from a docker image, and to me that's a bit out of scope.
Since BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0 already has editions for all the platforms supported by Docker - as does Matrix Brandy I think - it's an entirely unnecessary overhead for me.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

It's unfortunate, but yes, I think that's it - a provocative title, and a series of relatively long videos. That's what happens these days - it's not my cup of tea either. I'll often read the transcript instead of watching, but of course different people have different preferences.
tricky

Post by tricky »

The title to use the modern parlance is Clickbait.
I have found the few videos of his that I have watched interesting and informative, although I have been selective.
When you look at the counts of programming language mentions on the web, BBC BASIC has its own category, separate from BASIC and I didn't want it to miss out here if someone would have added it.

Return to “modern implementations of classic programming languages”