Snowball Adventure on the Elk

discuss classic text/graphic adventures for the bbc micro & electron
Snuggsy187

Snowball Adventure on the Elk

Post by Snuggsy187 »

Hi all,
Loved this game back in the day, but not having a BBC Micro, I only got to play a very small part of it at my friends house. I borrowed his tape copy many times, thinking I could get it to work on my Electron..... :shock:

Anyway, I've finally made this playable on the humble Electron (for no reason at all really, I mean, just go and play it on your BBC Micro/Emulator :lol: ).

It uses some VSync/RTC timings, and I designed it on Elkulator - other emulators/real hardware may have slight timing/display issues. It also assumes page defaults to &0E00, and has by no means been tested to completion ! I've added a 'choose foreground text colour' option just for the hell of it !

Anyway, here it is.... ! :D
Snowball-E.ssd
(28.25 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Snowball-E.uef
(33.87 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
T0.png
T1.png
T2.png
DROP PARCHMENT > POKE LOCK > PULL PARCHMENT > CURSE > BARGE DOOR > GO DOOR
Twitter: @snuggsy187
Trelach

Re: Snowball Adventure on the Elk

Post by Trelach »

Awesome :)

Nice work!

I was forever borrowing BBC stuff and trying it out on my Electron, and was often disappointed.

I seem to remember trying it the other way around on one occasion (Felix in the Factory maybe) and iirc it ran so quickly there were some walls that we could run through before it realised what we were doing :)
Snuggsy187

Post by Snuggsy187 »

Thanks Trelach :D

I tend to have the most coding fun convincing BBC games to work on the Electron.
Currently working on Ultimate's Lunar Jetman ! Will post an update in the forum soon - but you can check out my progress on twitter.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

This is a wonderful little project Neil - I'm so glad that you've managed this!!

Does it look as if any of the other L9 Beeb releases could also be converted to the Elk?
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
Snuggsy187

Post by Snuggsy187 »

Thanks Dave :D
Always thought of it as a one off, never really considered any other BBC text adventures. No reason why not though, all depends on the amount of free space laying about that can be used to move the code to free up the Electron display rows.

Quite lucky with Snowball in that respect - majority of the code was located near the end of the program space, just happened to find enough space lower down in memory !

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic adventure games”