Help Finding A.R.V. Text Adventure

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

lurkio

Re: Help Finding A.R.V. Text Adventure

Post by lurkio »

Oh, well, I'll just carry on tinkering then..!

Fixed LOAD and SAVE.

Attempted to fix the win screen. Seems to work but I can't test it legitimately because I haven't attempted to solve the whole game yet!

Links in previous post.

:idea:
stevenjameshodgson

Post by stevenjameshodgson »

lurkio wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:45 pm Oh, well, I'll just carry on tinkering then..!

Fixed LOAD and SAVE.

Attempted to fix the win screen. Seems to work but I can't test it legitimately because I haven't attempted to solve the whole game yet!

Links in previous post.

If anyone needs the cheat code, to allow you to change the location (I think it's the RM variable), the location of the Fat Lad, and the in-game timer, message me. I won't post it on the forum because it could be a spoiler.
stevenjameshodgson

Wow, flattered!

Thank you! :)
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

I've had a quick go of this game and it looks pretty good! I must admit I prefer playing games in Mode 7 on a standard BBC so I've had a quick look at the program and noticed that the locations are stored as a large data section within the main file (ARV, now ARVBBC). I've created a separate data file for these locations (LOCS) which is openin'd instead of using data reading (I've then obviously deleted the locations from the main program). It appears to work ok without memory issues but I've not tested it for long so far. The trick will be to set an appropriate value of page to maximise the available memory or perhaps create another data file for the location exits or messages. Also, because I'm running it in Mode 7 there are wordwrap issues it now being run in 40 columns. Now, if only there was a wordwrap expert out there...
Disc999-ARV.ssd
(175 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

fuzzel wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:41 pm I prefer playing games in Mode 7 on a standard BBC so ... I've created a separate data file for these locations (LOCS) which is openin'd instead of using data reading (I've then obviously deleted the locations from the main program). It appears to work ok without memory issues but I've not tested it for long so far.
Good work, but it runs a bit slow now. I suggest using the Egyptian Adventure trick of maintaining an integer array of offsets into the datafile and then saying PTR#Z=r(R):INPUT#Z,D$ to jump straight to the appropriate point in the file from which you can read the required description text for room R directly -- instead of what you seem to be doing, which is iterating through the whole file from the beginning till you hit the R'th string.

fuzzel wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:41 pmThe trick will be to set an appropriate value of page to maximise the available memory
On a standard Model B with Acorn DFS you can lower PAGE to &1300 and still keep one file open for reading (and/or writing, I think).

stevenjameshodgson

fuzzel wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:41 pm I've had a quick go of this game and it looks pretty good! I must admit I prefer playing games in Mode 7 on a standard BBC so I've had a quick look at the program and noticed that the locations are stored as a large data section within the main file (ARV, now ARVBBC). I've created a separate data file for these locations (LOCS) which is openin'd instead of using data reading (I've then obviously deleted the locations from the main program). It appears to work ok without memory issues but I've not tested it for long so far. The trick will be to set an appropriate value of page to maximise the available memory or perhaps create another data file for the location exits or messages. Also, because I'm running it in Mode 7 there are wordwrap issues it now being run in 40 columns. Now, if only there was a wordwrap expert out there...
Disc999-ARV.ssd
I suspect the high-tech wordwrap technique that Simon, TIm and I originally employed for the 80(?) column Archimedes MODE was just padding out the big bits of text with spaces... :roll:
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

lurkio wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:25 pm
fuzzel wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:41 pm I prefer playing games in Mode 7 on a standard BBC so ... I've created a separate data file for these locations (LOCS) which is openin'd instead of using data reading (I've then obviously deleted the locations from the main program). It appears to work ok without memory issues but I've not tested it for long so far.
Good work, but it runs a bit slow now. I suggest using the Egyptian Adventure trick of maintaining an integer array of offsets into the datafile and then saying PTR#Z=r(R):INPUT#Z,D$ to jump straight to the appropriate point in the file from which you can read the required description text for room R directly -- instead of what you seem to be doing, which is iterating through the whole file from the beginning till you hit the R'th string.

fuzzel wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:41 pmThe trick will be to set an appropriate value of page to maximise the available memory
On a standard Model B with Acorn DFS you can lower PAGE to &1300 and still keep one file open for reading (and/or writing, I think).

How about this? I've created a small lookup file for the PTR# command to reference, tucked out of the way at &B00.
Disc999-ARV.ssd
(175 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

RandolphSc0tt wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:35 pm I can't actually remember which PD library we released the demo to. I think APDL had it for Archimedes.

And yeah we sold the copies via mail order.

https://solutionarchive.com/game/id%2C4684/A.R.V..html

I think we got it reviewed in BBC Acorn User. I had a quote: "one of the most original ideas around" or similar from them on my CV for a while.
I've had a look for the review in Acorn User but can't find it (but then, I'm not the most observant). Can you remember roughly when it would have appeared? Or perhaps you received a reply from Acorn User but they never actually published the review?
stevenjameshodgson

fuzzel wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:56 am
RandolphSc0tt wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:35 pm I can't actually remember which PD library we released the demo to. I think APDL had it for Archimedes.

And yeah we sold the copies via mail order.

https://solutionarchive.com/game/id%2C4684/A.R.V..html

I think we got it reviewed in BBC Acorn User. I had a quote: "one of the most original ideas around" or similar from them on my CV for a while.
I've had a look for the review in Acorn User but can't find it (but then, I'm not the most observant). Can you remember roughly when it would have appeared? Or perhaps you received a reply from Acorn User but they never actually published the review?
I believe it was in the "Public Domain" column which my good friend Paul Wheatley edited for a while, probably 1994/5.

I remember putting a quote from Paul's review on one of the loading screens of the Archimedes version.
8bitAG

Post by 8bitAG »

Can't spot a full review, but... mention...
https://archive.org/details/AcornUser15 ... 1/mode/2up

Also mention of the sequel here...
https://archive.org/details/AcornUser166-Mar96/page/n17

Unbroken Circle mention here...
https://archive.org/details/AcornUser18 ... /page/n13/

[Side note: Wow... that's a seriously impressive education CV for Tim's dad(?) A very clever chap!]
stevenjameshodgson

8bitAG wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:24 pm Can't spot a full review, but... mention...

[Side note: Wow... that's a seriously impressive education CV for Tim's dad(?) A very clever chap!]
That's it! I think "Detailed and enjoyable" was the quote that we used on the loading screen. The sequel never got off the ground, as we headed off to university and more, ahem, interesting pursuits...
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

fuzzel wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:41 pm Now, if only there was a wordwrap expert out there...

Code: Select all

NEW
AUTO

MODE7
DIM W% 255:L%=40

PROCw("This is a sentence."):P.
PROCw("They are looking through Curry's window and watching 'Eldorado'. One woman is complaining that the acting is worse than a German football player, another Sky viewer is saying 'There's 57 channels and nothin' on.'")

END

DEFPROCw($W%):LOCALA%,Z%,C%,N%:N%=LEN$W%:A%=0:Z%=L%+1-POS:REPEATIFZ%>N%Z%=N%ELSEREPEATZ%=Z%-1:C%=W%?Z%:UNTILC%=32:IF Z%>=A% ELSE IF POS PRINT:Z%=L%+1:UNTIL0 ELSE STOP
W%?Z%=&D:PRINT$(W%+A%);:IFZ%<N% IF POS PRINT
A%=Z%+1:Z%=A%+L%+1:UNTILA%>=N%:ENDPROC

REM This might be useful:

REM Is the previous line blank?
REMDEFFNb:LOCALA%,C%,I%:VDU11,8:A%=&87:FORI%=1TOL%:VDU9:C%=(USR(&FFF4)AND&FF00)DIV256:IFC%=32NEXT:VDU10,13:=TRUE ELSEI%=L%:NEXT:VDU10,13:=FALSE
DEFFNb:LOCAL A%,B%,I%:VDU 11:A%=?&34B*256+?&34A:VDU 10:FOR I%=0 TO L%-1 STEP 4
B%=A%+I%:B%=B%+&400*(B%>&7FFF)
IF !B%=&20202020 NEXT:=TRUE ELSE I%=L%-1:NEXT:=FALSE
stevenjameshodgson

lurkio wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:34 pm
fuzzel wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:41 pm Now, if only there was a wordwrap expert out there...

NEW
AUTO

MODE7
DIM W% 255:L%=40

PROCw("This is a sentence."):P.
PROCw("They are looking through Curry's window and watching 'Eldorado'. One woman is complaining that the acting is worse than a German football player, another Sky viewer is saying 'There's 57 channels and nothin' on.'")

END

DEFPROCw($W%):LOCALA%,Z%,C%,N%:N%=LEN$W%:A%=0:Z%=L%+1-POS:REPEATIFZ%>N%Z%=N%ELSEREPEATZ%=Z%-1:C%=W%?Z%:UNTILC%=32:IF Z%>=A% ELSE IF POS PRINT:Z%=L%+1:UNTIL0 ELSE STOP
W%?Z%=&D:PRINT$(W%+A%);:IFZ%<N% IF POS PRINT
A%=Z%+1:Z%=A%+L%+1:UNTILA%>=N%:ENDPROC

REM This might be useful:

REM Is the previous line blank?
REMDEFFNb:LOCALA%,C%,I%:VDU11,8:A%=&87:FORI%=1TOL%:VDU9:C%=(USR(&FFF4)AND&FF00)DIV256:IFC%=32NEXT:VDU10,13:=TRUE ELSEI%=L%:NEXT:VDU10,13:=FALSE
DEFFNb:LOCAL A%,B%,I%:VDU 11:A%=?&34B*256+?&34A:VDU 10:FOR I%=0 TO L%-1 STEP 4
B%=A%+I%:B%=B%+&400*(B%>&7FFF)
IF !B%=&20202020 NEXT:=TRUE ELSE I%=L%-1:NEXT:=FALSE
Those references to Eldorado and early-90s Springsteen have aged well... :lol:
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Here's an updated version incorporating lurkio's excellent wordwrap routine. I'll be starting the game proper tomorrow so will report on any bugs or memory issues. I've set PAGE to &2000 to be on the safe side for the moment (it's using memory above &1100 which will be OPENIN I guess).
ARV BBC Version.ssd
(87.5 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

fuzzel wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:05 pm Here's an updated version incorporating lurkio's excellent wordwrap routine.
I think you forgot to include this:

10 DIM W% 255:L%=40
:?:
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

I've come across a bug in the humble BBC version of the game. I was trying to enter the Zoo but it was closed for lunch so I typed TIME to see what time it was and got the error message below:
ARV BBC B Time Error.jpg
This is because TIME$ is a Master only variable which prints the time from the real time clock as can be seen below:
ARV BBC Master No Time Error.jpg
So the question is, and I'll investigate further myself, does the game actually need the real time or does it just use the ARV time, in which case I can delete all reference to real time from the program?
stevenjameshodgson

From what I remember we didn't do anything with the real time (apart from maybe display a "Good morning" or "Good afternoon" message?) and it doesn't affect gameplay. ARV time definitely does though, as some locations are only open during certain hours.

I think I just put it in so people could see how much of their time they were spending on ARV! :wink:
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

That old lady's a real handful!
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Right! I've now made significant progress in the game (I think) and have made it to Honest Joe's and done the necessary there. However, the return journey is proving somewhat difficult. I think I've mapped the ghetto in full (four locations) but am having a great deal of trouble getting back out again. I'll persevere for a while but it looks like I'm going to need help.
stevenjameshodgson

fuzzel wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:05 pm Right! I've now made significant progress in the game (I think) and have made it to Honest Joe's and done the necessary there. However, the return journey is proving somewhat difficult. I think I've mapped the ghetto in full (four locations) but am having a great deal of trouble getting back out again. I'll persevere for a while but it looks like I'm going to need help.
The game relies on some terrible puns and wordplay for many of it's puzzles - I do apologise.

Do you have anything that could play music? Perhaps that could help.

DM me (if that's even possible on this site, I dunno) for the solution, if my memory is accurate....
stevenjameshodgson

fuzzel wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:05 pm Right! I've now made significant progress in the game (I think) and have made it to Honest Joe's and done the necessary there. However, the return journey is proving somewhat difficult. I think I've mapped the ghetto in full (four locations) but am having a great deal of trouble getting back out again. I'll persevere for a while but it looks like I'm going to need help.
Hi Fuzzel, I got your DM but I can't reply because : "We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more in discussions to be able to use this feature."

You've definitely got the correct tool to escape the ghetto, but you need to be slightly more literal with what you do with the ghetto blaster.

And you're right about many of the puzzles in the game - they all seemed like good ideas at the time.... :oops:
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

stevenjameshodgson wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:33 pm I got your DM but I can't reply because : "We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more in discussions to be able to use this feature."
You need to have made about twenty-five public posts before you can send Private Messages.

In the meantime, ROT13 is available.

stevenjameshodgson

lurkio wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:07 pm
stevenjameshodgson wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:33 pm I got your DM but I can't reply because : "We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more in discussions to be able to use this feature."
You need to have made about twenty-five public posts before you can send Private Messages.

In the meantime, ROT13 is available.

Aha, thanks. Well, this is the solution, and it's either in ROT13 or in Swedish:

Gb rfpncr gur turggb, lbh arrq gb glcr "OYNFG TURGGB" jura va nal bs gur 4 "va gur turggb" ybpngvbaf.

Sbe guvf, lbh jvyy arrq gur fgrerb, juvpu VVEP vf sebz Pheel'f, naq lbh arrq gb guerngra gur nffvfgnag (jvgu n tha) gb trg gung.
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

I'm going to write up a walkthrough today and hopefully the game will be in the bag shortly unless I come up against time restrictions. I never knew about the ROT13 website btw, instead I've been using my own version, programmed in Basic in Beebem (well, you have to don't you?)
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Completed it. Once I discovered which were the red herrings I was able to complete it within the time limit.

N
N
WAIT
S
S
E
GET CLIPPERS
W
N
W
GET MOUSE
E
N
W
CUT WIRE
GET SHOES
WEAR SHOES
E
N
N
N
N
N
E
E
N
EXAMINE BOOK
S
E
E
PRAY
GET STRING
W
W
W
W
N
N
GET CROWBAR
S
BREAK WINDOW
W
GET RECORD
E
S
S
S
GET GLOVES
WEAR GLOVES
S
GET MATCHES
S
E
SAY POLKA
N
EXAMINE WALL
S
GET COCAINE
S
W
W
W
GET HAT
WEAR HAT
E
TIME
TIME
TIME
N
N
DROP MOUSE
W
OPEN HIVE
GET WAX
E
S
S
MAKE CANDLE
E
S
S
S
S
SNIFF COCAINE
LIGHT CANDLE
GET RIFLE
SMASH VASE
GET RING
PLAY RECORD
N
N
N
E
GET MAGAZINE
EXAMINE STAND
GET KEY
W
S
E
THREATEN ASSISTANT
N
N
E
E
E
S
S
PAWN RING
W
BLAST GHETTO
W
N
N
N
N
E
E
E
N
OPEN SAFE
GET FILE
S
W
W
W
S
S
S
S
S
S
S
E
UNLOCK GARAGE
S
BUY TICKET
FILE GRATE
S
S
S

stevenjameshodgson

fuzzel wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:01 pm Completed it. Once I discovered which were the red herrings I was able to complete it within the time limit.
Congratulations! I think at some point Simon, Tim and myself had the idea of a competition for anyone who completed it - but I'm afraid the closing date has passed. :wink:

To be honest, I'm quite surprised that it's completable without crashing!
stevenjameshodgson

fuzzel wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:01 pm Completed it. Once I discovered which were the red herrings I was able to complete it within the time limit.
I've just played it through with the solution and it works! I did have to WAIT a few times until the zoo was open though. I was playing the origininal Archimedes version on an emulator rather than the BBC version that has been created by this great community, so maybe that was the reason.

@fuzzel : would you mind if I uploaded the solution to the "CASA Solution Archive" site? I'll credit you with it, of course.
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

stevenjameshodgson wrote:
I did have to WAIT a few times until the zoo was open though.
If you look at the walkthrough there are three TIMEs in there for that very purpose.
stevenjameshodgson wrote:
@fuzzel : would you mind if I uploaded the solution to the "CASA Solution Archive" site? I'll credit you with it, of course.
Please do.
timwiser

Post by timwiser »

stevenjameshodgson wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:53 pm
8bitAG wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:24 pm Can't spot a full review, but... mention...

That's it! I think "Detailed and enjoyable" was the quote that we used on the loading screen. The sequel never got off the ground, as we headed off to university and more, ahem, interesting pursuits...
Hey all! I thought I'd chip in here as the third developer of the game alongside Steve and Simon, who have already contributed some thoughts and memories on this thread which have been great to read.

I remember Simon & I walking around the village of Crich in Derbyshire with his digicam taking screenshots of various locations that were subsequently fed into a video digitiser card in my A3000 and used as screenshots in the game. The church, for example, is the church on the marketplace in Crich.

I worked quite hard on padding out the content of the game in the Archimedes version, expanding the number of locations that could be visited and vastly increasing the number of objects that could be examined. If an object was mentioned, it could be examined. I can also remember working on a very basic natural language parser for the game, so rather than inputting basic commands like 'GET DOG' or 'N' (for walking north) you could type a sentence like 'WALK NORTH, GET THE DOG AND THEN DROP THE KNIFE' which was then broken down into the constituent commands 'WALK NORTH', 'GET DOG', 'DROP KNIFE' and fed into the game one by one. It worked pretty well but I cannot remember whether it made it into the version of the game that was actually released. My monitor on my A3000 went pop in the summer of 1997, and my Acorning days ended on that day as my brother brought a PC home and, well, that was that.

I'd dearly love to get hold of the Archimedes version of the game again. If anyone happens to have it, please PLEASE get in touch.

Cheers all,
Tim.

PS. Yes, it's my Dad's CV - although I can't see where you're reading it!!

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”