Manic Miner (Electron)

developing/porting a new game or gaming framework? post in here!
uniforix

Re: Manic Miner (Electron)

Post by uniforix »

uniforix wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:08 pm
0xC0DE wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:11 pm
0xC0DE wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:52 pm

Thanks for reporting. Sorry about that. I will test different configurations and fix that!
I just tested on Elk + Plus1 + ElkSD Plus1 and it works without any problems.
Is your configuration: Elk + Plus1 + Peg400? And are you loading the game from a real disc?

Yes, Elk + Plus 1 + Pegasus 400. Could be a fault with my Elk I guess but not had issues with other games or your other demos.
Sorry forgot to say, tried SSD from Gotek and real disc, was same both ways.
roland

Post by roland »

0xC0DE wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:58 pm The loader executes on the bottom of the stack at &0100.
I moved my workspace from &100 to &A00 (which I was using anyway to prepare the HTTP headers) and now I can load Manic Miner over WiDFS \:D/
The only thing I have to do is to practise to pass the first screen :oops:
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

roland wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:21 pm
0xC0DE wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:58 pm The loader executes on the bottom of the stack at &0100.
I moved my workspace from &100 to &A00 (which I was using anyway to prepare the HTTP headers) and now I can load Manic Miner over WiDFS \:D/
The only thing I have to do is to practise to pass the first screen :oops:
Well done, Roland! I am still thinking about a different loading mechanism but memory is tight.
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro
Snuggsy187

Post by Snuggsy187 »

I am still thinking about a different loading mechanism but memory is tight.
1 Page of 'Wallpaper' Loader @ &7F00, with your logo, in the style of Elementum / ElectroBots ? :-k
DROP PARCHMENT > POKE LOCK > PULL PARCHMENT > CURSE > BARGE DOOR > GO DOOR
Twitter: @snuggsy187
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

Snuggsy187 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:26 pm
I am still thinking about a different loading mechanism but memory is tight.
1 Page of 'Wallpaper' Loader @ &7F00, with your logo, in the style of Elementum / ElectroBots ? :-k
I tried just that but forgot that the loader moves a chunk of memory to $380 and another chunk of memory to the very end of screen memory :lol:
0xC0DE
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro
Snuggsy187

Post by Snuggsy187 »

I tried just that but forgot that the loader moves a chunk of memory to $380 and another chunk of memory to the very end of screen memory
Just a thought - how about changing to Mode1 at the end of "MANIC", then *RUN MINER, which executes at &4938 (where there's space to put your relocation code) ? :-k

.....unless that free space is there for a reason.....! :shock:
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

Snuggsy187 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:28 am
I tried just that but forgot that the loader moves a chunk of memory to $380 and another chunk of memory to the very end of screen memory
Just a thought - how about changing to Mode1 at the end of "MANIC", then *RUN MINER, which executes at &4938 (where there's space to put your relocation code) ? :-k

.....unless that free space is there for a reason.....! :shock:
I was looking at that delicious gap of 256 bytes yesterday. It is used as a sprite cache in the game but can be used for relocation code. I think it will work once I give it a little more thought.
0xC0DE
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

@uniforix: Could you please try this version on your Peg400 system?
@roland: And you on WiDFS please?

The loader/relocator at the bottom of the stack has been moved into the main binary.

ManicMiner2021-0.07b.ssd
(200 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
0xC0DE
Snuggsy187

Post by Snuggsy187 »

I know it's small-fry, but I'm going to say top work again ! :D
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

Snuggsy187 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:26 pm I know it's small-fry, but I'm going to say top work again ! :D
Thanks! And now my head hurts from calculating relocatable addresses :mrgreen:
0xC0DE
uniforix

Post by uniforix »

0xC0DE wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:10 pm @uniforix: Could you please try this version on your Peg400 system?
@roland: And you on WiDFS please?

The loader/relocator at the bottom of the stack has been moved into the main binary.

ManicMiner2021-0.07b.ssd
hello!

Just tried it and the disc boots and game loads, but when I walk to the right and press jump, Miner Willy starts to jump and then the game freezes at this point. Looking awesome though =D>
IMG_20210501_160154_1.jpg
uniforix

Post by uniforix »

Just went back and tried it again, basically it seems jump works fine and left/right work fine, but the Elk crashes if you try to do a directional job ie. Z+RETURN or X+RETURN. Hope that points to where the issue may be?
roland

Post by roland »

I just tried with WiDFS, the game loads and starts. Jumping diagonally works fine on my Elk but the game freezes after fetching the first key. For WiDFS you don't need to change the game since the previous version works fine.
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

@uniforix @roland: I was able to reproduce the 'freeze' bug on my Electron (+Plus1 +ElkSDPlus1) and I think I fixed it in v0.08b: https://github.com/0xC0DE6502/manic-min ... /README.md
Can you please try it?
0xC0DE
rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr »

Great work! =D> First time I’ve ever played this game! I saw so many people playing it on their ZX Spectrum’s back at the computer club I attended in the early 80’s. Never knew it came out on Beeb.

I played it on the Elkulator, and at some point it started making whistling noise. Also I noticed it doesn’t fill the screen. I guess this is to keep the correct aspect ratio.

For some reason ElectrEM wouldn’t play with it. B&W screen and then crash.
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and 6, MRB, Plus 1 x2, Plus 3, AP6 x2, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi Co-processor, GoSDC MBE.
BBC B+ 64K (128K upgraded) with Duel OS, Raspberry Pi Co-processor and Gotek.
roland

Post by roland »

0xC0DE wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:55 pm @uniforix @roland: I was able to reproduce the 'freeze' bug on my Electron (+Plus1 +ElkSDPlus1) and I think I fixed it in v0.08b
Can you please try it?
I did try it and the game didn't freeze any more. But I am terribly bad in playing games (too difficult for me :mrgreen: ) so I never passed the first screen. Mind you that this is not related to a(ny) bug in your game. It's just me......
uniforix

Post by uniforix »

0xC0DE wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:55 pm @uniforix @roland: I was able to reproduce the 'freeze' bug on my Electron (+Plus1 +ElkSDPlus1) and I think I fixed it in v0.08b: https://github.com/0xC0DE6502/manic-min ... /README.md
Can you please try it?
Apologies for delay, I only dip in and out of the forums now and again, but AMAZING! Thank you so much, it works perfectly and finally you've fulfilled my childhood dream of being able to play Manic Miner on my Electron! =D> And via Pegasus SSD to boot! Perfection!
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

@roland @uniforix Wow, I'm really happy with that!! Thank you for testing again =D>
0xC0DE
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

rmbrowngr wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:44 pm Great work! =D> First time I’ve ever played this game! I saw so many people playing it on their ZX Spectrum’s back at the computer club I attended in the early 80’s. Never knew it came out on Beeb.

I played it on the Elkulator, and at some point it started making whistling noise. Also I noticed it doesn’t fill the screen. I guess this is to keep the correct aspect ratio.

For some reason ElectrEM wouldn’t play with it. B&W screen and then crash.
Thanks for playing/testing! Can you reproduce these 2 things, so I can possibly reproduce and fix them? Did you try the latest version v0.08b? And on what operating system?
0xC0DE
rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr »

0xC0DE wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:18 pm Thanks for playing/testing! Can you reproduce these 2 things, so I can possibly reproduce and fix them? Did you try the latest version v0.08b? And on what operating system?
Downloaded from your GitHub page this afternoon. Running on Windows 10.

I’ll try them again tomorrow.
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and 6, MRB, Plus 1 x2, Plus 3, AP6 x2, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi Co-processor, GoSDC MBE.
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

rmbrowngr wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:58 pm I’ll try them again tomorrow.
That would be really helpful, thanks!
0xC0DE
rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr »

Managed to find some time today to test again.

ElectrEmWin32v06c, with uef, worked fine today. Made sure that all disc options were disable before testing.

Elkulator, with uef file, works, but I get a continuous whistle after a while. By chance it seem to happen when Elkulator loses focus. Bug in Elkulator? The disc version doesn't seem to have this problem.

Will try them on a real hardware at some point.

Question, I guess the use of only the bottom half of the screen is by design?
Richard B
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

Thanks for testing again! So, it seems no apparent bug in the game itself I hope.
rmbrowngr wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:43 pm Question, I guess the use of only the bottom half of the screen is by design?
Yes, by design. The screen is just about the same size as the Beeb version. But on the Beeb it is centered on the display. I chose to put it at the bottom for technical reasons.
0xC0DE
Eleccy

Post by Eleccy »

Amazing conversion of manic miner. Didn't think i'd ever see this on the electron, didn't think electron was really capable in fact.

I used to be able to complete all the levels at one time (on speccy). This is very faithful to that version. One small thing I miss is the extra life. Normally when reaching 'the vat' level on the speccy the screen would flicker as you receive a bonus life. Just nitpicking though thats only a small detail.

Currently i can reach the mutant telephones quite easily, need to keep trying to get beyond that. looks like the last couple of levels will be new to me.

btw I've played this on Clk Signal emulator and today on my real hardware. Works perfectly in both. I did notice that when slogger ram board is set to turbo mode the air bar is a bit garbled/hidden but that doesn't really matter, still plays, however it's fast enough in normal mode to forget about turbo mode anyway.

Fantastic
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

Eleccy wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:34 pm Amazing conversion of manic miner. Didn't think i'd ever see this on the electron, didn't think electron was really capable in fact.
I'm glad you're enjoying the game! It looks like you are much better at it than I am :mrgreen:
0xC0DE
Fraser

Post by Fraser »

On Eugene's lair if you get the last item as Eugene is at the top of his movement area he gets stuck there. The exact point that triggers this might actually be just under the top. I think scrolling would be better than the pages of writing. Also the comma after 'ancient' is missing and some capitalisation.
Fraser

Post by Fraser »

Another bug I've encountered is the sound sticking on. I've only seen this once. I think there was the long fall sound as well as something else. Will there be any more versions of this game?
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

Fraser wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:03 am Another bug I've encountered is the sound sticking on. I've only seen this once. I think there was the long fall sound as well as something else. Will there be any more versions of this game?
Thanks for testing and reporting this and other bugs. If I can reproduce these I may release a new version one day! (not top of my list though)
0xC0DE
Fraser

Post by Fraser »

I encountered the sound bug again on the Skylab landing bay level. You make some big falls there. You can see what I mean about the writing being different here:
ManicMiner_Back(3).jpg
Would mode 0 be better for it or is that not recommended?
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

Fraser wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:13 pm I encountered the sound bug again on the Skylab landing bay level. You make some big falls there. You can see what I mean about the writing being different here.... Would mode 0 be better for it or is that not recommended?
Also note that the Electron version is based on the improved Beeb version here: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=22323
0xC0DE

Return to “new projects in development: games”