Acorn Archimedes game recomendations

subjects relating to classic games for the archimedes and risc pc
dmitrysimlyansky

Re: Acorn Archimedes game recomendations

Post by dmitrysimlyansky »

I think Jon plays in full version, because demo version gives 5 minutes for gameplay only! The same situation in Warlocks demo. Some of these enemies can't be in first five minutes of gameplay. But that's a first level! The music is different too. :shock:
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

IanJeffray wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:01 am I have a boxed copy in the loft. I also have the original unprotected RISC OS 2-only version, as I did the RISC OS 3 "conversion" and copy protection (sorry...). But when someone else asked about this last month, I couldn't get any version that's on my server to run past the loading screen on RISC OS 3.1, which is puzzling. The game runs in a nonstandard (widescreen) mode, so it's possible it just doesn't like my AKF85 or AKF17 - it was developed with an AKF12.
What else do you have squirrelled away in your loft that we might want to archive :o

I wasn't aware there were RO2 and RO3 versions. I believe the image I have archived was emailed to me, so I'm unsure of its origins. Quark certainly took a lot of work to get running on modern kit due to timing issues. If you look at the script ADFFS uses to get it working (obey/zip.F1029601) I'm going through the 2 stage decrypt so it can fix its bespoke MODE 51. Under StrongARM if stops it directly branching to the SWI vector and on RO5 it modifies the Mode44 and Mode99 Modules.
dmitrysimlyansky wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:39 pm I think Jon plays in full version, because demo version gives 5 minutes for gameplay only! The same situation in Warlocks demo. Some of these enemies can't be in first five minutes of gameplay. But that's a first level! The music is different too. :shock:
Yes, I have the full version which looking at my spreadsheet is possibly Ian's RO3 fixed version as it includes an HD installer which I wouldn't expect on a RO2 version.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

sirbod wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:44 pm
IanJeffray wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:01 am I have a boxed copy in the loft.
What else do you have squirrelled away in your loft that we might want to archive :o
Just the Oregan stuff.
sirbod wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:44 pm I wasn't aware there were RO2 and RO3 versions.
There aren't. The published version was RO3 compatible, after I'd had at it. I can't even remember what I had to do, but literally burned a set of RO2 ROMs in the process [many ROM swaps, and one time forgetting to change the option links... pop!].
sirbod wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:44 pm I believe the image I have archived was emailed to me, so I'm unsure of its origins.
I have the full version which looking at my spreadsheet is possibly Ian's RO3 fixed version as it includes an HD installer
Yeah, there's only one full version -- but where's the menu with the skeleton hand and all the authors digitised faces gone? Your video goes straight from Quark logo in to the game.

Damnit... <digs out box not seen for 18 years> ...
IMG_3509.JPG
Factory-fresh floppies even had the rotten rubber band remnants round them...
IMG_E3510.JPG
Ahhh... Right... I forgot that you have to hit F12 to get to the menu. Boy that's a stupid design. I bet most folks don't even realise it's a 2 player game...
IMG_3512.JPG
Yes, the screen really is designed that lop-sided. Frenchies, eh... :lol: And that's all their pretty faces you can scroll through to select who to play as.
IMG_3514.JPG
I should scan the manual in some time I guess. Are you also archiving stuff like box covers, manuals and stuff?
dmitrysimlyansky

My small collection! :wink:
Attachments
IMG_4524.JPG
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

dmitrysimlyansky wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:08 am My small collection! :wink:
TWO Sally and Wally ?! Yet no Burn 'Out. Oh dear. :lol:
dmitrysimlyansky

IanJeffray wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:51 am
dmitrysimlyansky wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:08 am My small collection! :wink:
TWO Sally and Wally ?! Yet no Burn 'Out. Oh dear. :lol:
One for trade! ;)
Duglor

Post by Duglor »

sirbod wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:44 pm I believe the image I have archived was emailed to me, so I'm unsure of its origins.
I have the full version which looking at my spreadsheet is possibly Ian's RO3 fixed version as it includes an HD installer
Yeah, there's only one full version -- but where's the menu with the skeleton hand and all the authors digitised faces gone? Your video goes straight from Quark logo in to the game.
[/quote]

Is there an adf or hfe of the full version of Quark anywhere?
jubber

Post by jubber »

Ooh, an opportunity for a list! Top Ten Archimedes exclusives - in no particular order

10) Pandora's Box
pandora.jpg
Charming isometric adventure with solid graphics and some tricky puzzles.

9) The Dungeon
dungeon.jpg
I played this on my A3010 back in the day, and loved it. A dungeon crawler like Dungeon Master or Bloodwych, but with free rotation - which was a rather nifty feature at the time. An Archimedes-only title that doesn't get nearly enough love.

8 ) Quark
quark.jpg
I have an original Quark disk, but it won't work anymore - a pity, as that was a good game, as many have mentioned. Graphics would have looked good on any platform, so a real treat for Acorn users.

7) Starfighter 3000
star-fighter-3000-archimedes-73_png_92.jpg
This was ported to the 3DO and was one of the few good games on that benighted platform. Holds up really well, although the framerate might be more of a sticking point than back in the day. There's a lot of depth and variety in the missions.

6) Gyrinus 2: Son of Gyrinus
gyrinus.jpg
A PD effort by Tom Cooper that had lovely smooth movement and nicely animated visuals. Better than many full scale releases

5) Drop Ship
drop.jpg
Incredibly sharp visuals, that this screenshot does no justice to. Everything's animated, the game is slick and the controls are responsive. Hard as nails in places, but with its Xenon 2 style shop and excellent sound design this a top notch title.

4) Repton 4
ego-repton-4_5.png
ego-repton-4_5.png (26.62 KiB) Viewed 3677 times
A slow paced puzzler that riffs on the original Repton formula with a very different type of game. This is still playable today because a good puzzle formula doesn't really die. The graphics are colourful and the presentation holds up well.

3) Fervour
fervour.jpg
Hooky 12-bar tunes accompany fast and challenging ball-onna-path gameplay.

2) Axis
axis.jpg
Tough game but once you get in to it, it's very playable. Fully rotating screen is a unique feature but it takes a while to get used to.

1) Spheres of Chaos
Spheres-Of-Chaos.jpg
Spheres of Chaos was the Arc's best home-grown title, with up to four players and a host of modes.

Very honourable mentions:
Stunt Racer 2000, !Patience, MoonQuake, Invaders, Rotor, Zelanites, !MineHunt (bogus! Excellent!), Chocks Away, Styx, Cataclysm (Also Cascade?)
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

Duglor wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:26 pm Yeah, there's only one full version -- but where's the menu with the skeleton hand and all the authors digitised faces gone? Your video goes straight from Quark logo in to the game.
I started the game with F8 (Quick start) instead of F12 (Ship selector)

If anyone has an untouched original, I could do with a copy of the high-score table as the copy I archived is full of junk. Going by the file dates, I think it's disc 2 $.Data.Qa32
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

sirbod wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:01 pm If anyone has an untouched original, I could do with a copy of the high-score table as the copy I archived is full of junk. Going by the file dates, I think it's disc 2 $.Data.Qa32
Anyone? :-
Will the source code do? :mrgreen:

Code: Select all

file$="SCSI::Ian.$.Commercial.Oregan.Quark.!.Data.Qa32"
Points=60000
DIM CODE 2000
Z=CODE
FOR X=1 TO 50
!Z=Points:Points-=1000
$(Z+4)=STRING$(80,CHR$&D):$(Z+4)="THE ZYGOTIC":Z+=32
NEXT
OSCLI"SAVE "+file$+" "+STR$~CODE+" +640"
OSCLI"Settype "+file$+" &000"
Does the "Junk" in your copy say "WILLIAM" btw?
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

IanJeffray wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:43 pm Will the source code do? :mrgreen:
Yes please :wink:

I've recreated the high-score file with that. All good now.
IanJeffray wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:43 pm Does the "Junk" in your copy say "WILLIAM" btw?
Yes, it looks like the first twelve were WILLIAM's at one point, but have since been overwritten with other, shorter names.

Is that significant in some way?
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

sirbod wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:09 pm
IanJeffray wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:43 pm Does the "Junk" in your copy say "WILLIAM" btw?
Yes, it looks like the first twelve were WILLIAM's at one point, but have since been overwritten with other, shorter names.

Is that significant in some way?
Hmm. That's what I guessed. That's actually the original developers' original highscore file as presented to Oregan.
joachim

Post by joachim »

jubber wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:22 am 3) Fervour
fervour.jpg
For that genre, I always preferred Phaethon — although I was never able to play it after I upgraded to an A7000.
jubber

Post by jubber »

joachim wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:29 pm
jubber wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:22 am 3) Fervour
fervour.jpg
For that genre, I always preferred Phaethon — although I was never able to play it after I upgraded to an A7000.
Phaethon's presentation is great - the whole game feels like it was put together by a demo crew from a different platform. However I always found Fervour's controls more precise - phaethon always felt more floaty like the game was broadly aware of my inputs. But it definitely makes it into my top 30 - assuming it's possible to create a top 30
Duglor

Post by Duglor »

So is Quark a game that has no .adf or .hfe full version that ever was dumped to share?

Any full version Quarks anywhere? or a path towards finding one? :p
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

IanJeffray wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:26 pm Hmm. That's what I guessed. That's actually the original developers' original highscore file as presented to Oregan.
Did it ship that way then, or did I receive images from a pre-release/review copy?

I've not managed to source an original boxed copy yet, so can't vouch for its authenticity.
Duglor wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:46 am Any full version Quarks anywhere? or a path towards finding one? :p
Getting approval from one of the Oregan Directors so I can release their games would be the correct path. I've emailed various addresses over the years, but not received a response to date.

It will probably require someone that knows one of them to introduce me, so I can formally request permission to release their games.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

sirbod wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:41 am
IanJeffray wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:26 pm Hmm. That's what I guessed. That's actually the original developers' original highscore file as presented to Oregan.
Did it ship that way then .. ?
Very likely.
Duglor

Post by Duglor »

Isn't Ian an Oregan guy ? Ian, can you give permission to release the Oregan games-Quark, Buggy (that you did?) Arcturus, Magnetoids, Sally and Wally?
Duglor

Post by Duglor »

Burn 'out, excuse me. not Buggy. Very sorry.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

Duglor wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:32 pm Isn't Ian an Oregan guy ? Ian, can you give permission to release the Oregan games-Quark, Buggy (that you did?) Arcturus, Magnetoids, Sally and Wally?
I'm an author, not a rights holder. I can't make that choice.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

Duglor wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:39 pm Burn 'out, excuse me. not Buggy. Very sorry.
Burn 'Out has been released free for many years : http://ian.jeffray.co.uk/riscos/BurnOut/
Duglor

Post by Duglor »

IanJeffray wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:57 pm
Duglor wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:32 pm Isn't Ian an Oregan guy ? Ian, can you give permission to release the Oregan games-Quark, Buggy (that you did?) Arcturus, Magnetoids, Sally and Wally?
I'm an author, not a rights holder. I can't make that choice.
Ahah. Ok :) Wasn't sure if you guys were a group that held rights and also authored. Like ACtivision's authors, etc..ok. thanks for the game!!!!!!!!
Duglor

Post by Duglor »

IanJeffray wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:58 pm
Duglor wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:39 pm Burn 'out, excuse me. not Buggy. Very sorry.
Burn 'Out has been released free for many years : http://ian.jeffray.co.uk/riscos/BurnOut/

Do you have this game in .adf disk files?
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

Duglor wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:30 pm Do you have this game in .adf disk files?
No. The final 'StrongARM' version was for use from a hard disc only. It was never really sane to run it from floppy in the first place - it really needs an ARM3 machine, and if you have an ARM3, it's pretty likely you have a hard disc anyway.
BrokenARM

Post by BrokenARM »

:D in fairness we were all very much aligned with the Arc / ARM platform but at least two of us were really into the Amiga which very much set the bar back in those days on the game/demo front. I remember the final weeks of development for Phaethon were pretty intense and perhaps it could have undergone more play testing. I ended up writing a crazy amount of !Tracker music for the game in a very short space of time and I'm glad it all ended up being used. I remember agonising about the music module for the Shop as it had to be very small indeed to allow for fast loading times...
jubber wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:02 pm For that genre, I always preferred Phaethon — although I was never able to play it after I upgraded to an A7000.

Phaethon's presentation is great - the whole game feels like it was put together by a demo crew from a different platform. However I always found Fervour's controls more precise - phaethon always felt more floaty like the game was broadly aware of my inputs. But it definitely makes it into my top 30 - assuming it's possible to create a top 30
My personal faves from the platform were Nevryon (great music and a good R-Type genre game), Zool and Mad Professor Moriarty (I just love music in that game by Matt Furniss).
iomanoid

Post by iomanoid »

This is a great thread! That Quark’s gone straight to the top of my “must-find” list now…
BrokenARM wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:13 pm My personal faves from the platform were Nevryon (great music and a good R-Type genre game), Zool and Mad Professor Moriarty (I just love music in that game by Matt Furniss).
Don’t think anyone’s mentioned Blowpipe yet, which preceded Nevryon by a year I think, or came out at exactly the same time, not sure now. Matt Furniss did the music for that too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZn8WycUJ4c

Return to “32-bit acorn software: classic games”