ACORN WORLD @ Retro Reunited/12-13 Sep/Hudd'field

threads relating to past classic gaming/computing events
Arcadian
Site Admin

ACORN WORLD @ Retro Reunited/12-13 Sep/Hudd'field

Post by Arcadian »

From www.acornworld.co.uk:
Introduction

A little under thirty years ago saw the launch of a seemingly unassuming computer: the Atom.

The company behind it - Acorn Computers - went on to become a household name after the machine being developed as a successor to the Atom (which had the working title of The Proton) was adopted by the British Broadcasting Corporation as the system that would be used to promote the joint BBC / Department of Industry-backed Computer Literacy Project. Over the years that followed, Acorn drew some of the UK's most talented computer and software engineers to its Cambridge base.

Acorn World is an exhibition and gathering at the Cedar Court Hotel - Huddersfield on 12th-13th September 2009 that will celebrate the importance and legacy of this uniquely British company.

Over the course of the weekend, the Emley Suite at Cedar Court will be packed to the rafters with numerous examples of Acorn computers, charting the company's rise from the less well-known Acorn System series and Acorn Atom; through the various iterations of the BBC Microcomputer and the Electron to the ground-breaking Archimedes and RISC PC range; both of which were developed to take full advantage of Acorn's now-ubiquitous and phenomenally successful ARM technology.

On Sunday afternoon Professor Stephen Furber - a principal designer of both the BBC Microcomputer and ARM microprocessor - will give a talk on The Heritage of the BBC Micro. Topics covered will include construction of the prototype BBC machine and the design and manufacture of the ARM microchip.

Stephen will also give an insight into his current research interests, such as the SpiNNaker project: a bold attempt to emulate the interactions of the human brain, utilising an estimated one million ARM processors. This will be preceded by a presentation and demonstration from RISC OS Open Ltd - a group of volunteers who continue to make improvements to the RISC OS Operating System; originally written by Acorn for use with the Archimedes series.

This event forms part of the Retro Reunited Classic Gaming & Computing convention and weekend tickets (priced £13.00 each inclusive) cover entry to both Acorn World (Emley Suite) and Retro Reunited (Presidential Suite). All proceeds less costs will be donated to the Shelter charity and it is anticipated that tickets will sell out well in advance.

Tickets can be ordered from either www.acornworld.co.uk or www.retroreunited.info

Image Image

Peripherals

The installations on display will be augmented by many original peripherals, including the Hybrid 5000 music development system, as well as several rare/prototype systems such as the ARM Evaluation System and the R260 in addition to [the casing for] the Phoebe 2100: the proposed successor to the RISC PC which never saw a general release.

One such fully-working piece that will be on display and deserves a special mention is the BBC Domesday System. This visionary project inspired by William the Conqueror's historic 1086 Domesday survey and devised by the BBC, was the culmination of several years' data collection from UK school and charity groups, and comprises of - what was then - cutting edge laserdisc technology accessed through an upgraded BBC Micro Master Series computer. The final result was a system that could search a wealth of UK data which foreshadows many similar web applications popular today, such as Google Maps.

Amongst the many features now available as standard in modern computers that Acorn were amongst the first to pioneer, were Local Area Networks. Acorn's first home microcomputer, the Atom, was launched with a demonstration of Acorn's Econet networking technology. Acorn World will see the implementation of one of the most remarkable Econet networks ever built. As well as networking the standard Acorn machines, recent custom work by hobbyists should allow the Econet network to link up modern computers, even ones running BBC Micro emulators! If that wasn't ambitious enough, a Viewdata-based Bulletin Board System will be run from the event, with the intention that anyone with a remote BBC Micro and modem can dial-in and interact with visitors ... almost exactly how it would have been implemented a quarter of a century ago!

The BBC Micro Model B was fitted with a number of expansion sockets as standard, and this gained the BBC B the reputation of being the most versatile home micro available at the time. The User Port was one such expansion socket and this instantly opened up the world of Robotics to home users, schools and industry. Neil Fazakerley of the BeebControl website will demonstrate a number of Robotic Arms (including the Cyber 310, the Atlas and the gargantuan, hydraulically-driven Feedback HRA933) in what promises to be the most visually spectacular attraction at Acorn World 2009. The infamous BBC Buggy will also be given a runout at some point during the weekend.

As well as examples of original Acorn hardware, there will be several designers on-hand who have continued to create modern hardware upgrades for the machines, including larger capacity, physically smaller and faster storage devices, new second processor upgrades and many others, such as the USB interface for 8-bit machines provided by DataCentre and the 8580 SID Audio add-on. Several computers with fitted upgrades will be on display and, in many cases, available for purchase at discounted rates.

Image Image Image

Gaming & Programming

Most pupils at school in the 1980s will remember the classic games Chuckie Egg, Frak, Granny's Garden and the legendary Elite, many of which will be available to play at Acorn World with the benefit of lightningly fast loading times courtesy of the advances in modern memory card technology.

The event will also see a presence from Retro Software; the Acorn-focused publishing label that recently launched Zap! - the first commercially-released BBC Micro game in years.

Their second title - The Krystal Connection - will be launched at Acorn World and attendees will have the opportunity to purchase copies at discounted prices.

They will also provide Work-In-Progress demonstrations of upcoming titles such as Arcade Adventure Design Kit, White Light, Mountain Panic and Repton: The Lost Realms.

The venue will also stage the second meet-up of the Homebrew Coding Association - a gathering of independent programmers from across the UK who share an interest in developing new software for commercially-obsolete computer systems such as the BBC Micro, Sinclair Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, Commodore 64/Amiga and Atari ST. Anybody with a ticket for Acorn World/Retro Reunited is welcome to attend the coding workshop.
Floorplan:

Click here for a high res version.

Guests:

Matthew Atkinson
Kenton Price +1
Jamie Woodhouse
Mel Pullen
Steve Furber (Sunday only)

Eventual attendees from within the Acorn Community:

Arcadian [Dave Moore]
Tom Walker
Woody.Cool [Duncan Woodward]
Samwise
Alan D [Alan Daly] (staying at Cedar Court Hotel Fri+Sat night)
Dave Footitt (staying at Cedar Court Hotel Sat night)
+ Kevin Howe
+ Pete Sheppard
+ Mark Adamson
Greybeard [Geoff Hannis]
retroclinic [Mark Haysman]
CapnB [Joel Rowbottom]
StarshipUK [Steve Perry]
Lofarius [Keith Luthener]
MartinB [Martin Barr]
Jayne Barr
DaveH +1 [David Hunt]
Jeremy Grayson
TheKraken [Michael S Repton]
kingcobra [Jonathan Parkin]
firthmj [Michael Firth]
Gary Forrest /COMP/
regregex [Greg Cook]
AndyT31 [Andy Taylor] /COMP/
Antpotter +1 [Anthony Foulkes]
Witchfinder +1 [Mat Corne]
Merman [Andrew Fisher]
BlackPanther +1 [Mark Tapper]
IanS [Ian Stocks]
Prime [Phill Harvey-Smith]
Lesley Harvey-Smith
BeebMaster [Ian Wolstenholme] SUNDAY ONLY
Lion +1 [David Glover]
JIM +1 [James Watson]
JohnMcl [John McCloughlin] SATURDAY ONLY
DavidP [David Pope]
Docmartyn [Martyn Amos]
Andy_Hodgson [Andrew Hodgson] SATURDAY ONLY
broadcaststorm +1 [Daniel Jones] SUNDAY ONLY
Zeem [Alex Taylor]
Retro_Junkie [Alan McGill] SATURDAY ONLY
Derek Biddis
elaverick [Edward Laverick] SATURDAY ONLY
BeebInC [Dave Devenport] SATURDAY ONLY
Metaluna [Chris Pennington]
Andrew Roland
MarkB +1 [Mark Broughton]
Top Banana [Andrew Livens]

Chris Whytehead [BBC Micro Mailing List]
Neil Fazakerly [BBC Micro Mailing List]
Rob Sprowson [BBC Micro Mailing List]
Jason Flynn [BBC Micro Mailing List]
Jonathan Harston [BBC Micro Mailing List]
Dominic Beesley [BBC Micro Mailing List]

Steve Potts [Wakefield RISC OS Computer Club]
Steven Bass [Wakefield RISC OS Computer Club]
Terry Marsh [Wakefield RISC OS Computer Club]
Steve Fryatt [Wakefield RISC OS Computer Club]

Bryan Hogan [RISC OS User Group of London]
Paul Stewart [RISC OS User Group of London]

Phil Mellor [ICONBAR]

No shows: ;)
sorvad [Steve O'Leary]
Irrelevant [Rob O'Donnell]
RobC [Rob Coleman]
SirMorris [Charlie Robson]
Last edited by Arcadian on Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
Dave Footitt

Re: Retro Reunited / 12-13 Sept 2009 / Huddersfiel

Post by Dave Footitt »

At the risk of repeating myself, I'll probably be able to make this one too :D
woody.cool

Re: Retro Reunited / 12-13 Sept 2009 / Huddersfield

Post by woody.cool »

I'm definitely going to this one.
I'm taking my usual stuff (Amiga 1200) but I think this time round there's room for an Elk or my A3010.
SarahWalker

Post by SarahWalker »

Bought my ticket and booked the hotel. Looking forward to this one!
SirClive

Post by SirClive »

We now have a brand new website with more info on competitions, raffle prizes, auction lots and mucg more...

http://retroreunited.info
Dave Footitt

Post by Dave Footitt »

Looks good this one, just put an email to a couple of mates who may be interested and then I'll get me ticket.

Oh, looks like they've spotted we're coming:

"CEDAR COURT HUDDERSFIELD ARE CURRENTLY RECRUITING FULL AND PART TIME BAR STAFF"

=D>
Dave Footitt

Post by Dave Footitt »

Hotel room booked, bring it on! =D>
sorvad

Post by sorvad »

Put me down as a possible on this one.
woody.cool

Post by woody.cool »

Why am I still in the 'Would like to attend' section ... I bought and payed for my ticket ages ago! :lol:
SirClive

Post by SirClive »

Here is the current line up of guests...

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
sorvad

Post by sorvad »

Trying to book ticket, website down :-(
woody.cool

Post by woody.cool »

sorvad wrote:Trying to book ticket, website down :-(
SirClive's on holiday in Las Vegas .... so he probably doesn't know about the website going down yet.
sorvad

Post by sorvad »

woody.cool wrote:
sorvad wrote:Trying to book ticket, website down :-(
SirClive's on holiday in Las Vegas .... so he probably doesn't know about the website going down yet.
Oh no, gambling the tens of thousands in ticket money :lol:
SirClive

Post by SirClive »

Ha, if only!!!

Yeah, wasn't aware it was down, but all fixed now.
retroclinic

Post by retroclinic »

DaveM - Are we having Stands here etc like the Stoke show?
SirClive

Post by SirClive »

Sorry guys, have been away and extremely busy with work. Am back now so will be around more to answer questions and give updates on progress.
SirClive

Post by SirClive »

Oh yes, and if you are going to the Console Combat event in Manchester next month I will be selling tickets there if you would rather get them in person.
Dave Footitt

Post by Dave Footitt »

Excellent - Save a couple for me and I'll see you there :)

(For the benefit of everyone else I have of course now had a reply to my PM!)

Cheers,

Dave
sorvad

Post by sorvad »

I'll be at Console Combat too, please reserve one for me :) and I'll pick up there
SirClive

Post by SirClive »

It has been a while so I thought I would give a quick update on progress...

There are only 81 days until Retro Reunited and I am already getting very stressed out, however I am really pleased to announce that the show is now being sponsored by the Centre for Computing History "a UK museum dedicated to preserving and presenting a collection of important computers and related artifacts. It spotlights the people behind the inventions and records the information necessary to inspire and enthuse future generations".
The centre will be having a large presence at the show and bringing along some of their wonderful oddities like Sir Clive's ill fated Sinclair C5!

The list of arcade machines is growing thanks to people like Colin from JAMMA+, Witchfinder and the legend that is Archer MacLean.

We all know that people love Rock Band and Guitar Hero at these get togethers, so this time we are taking it back in time to the 60s. A few days before the show will see the launch of Rock Band Beatles and we hope to have the game and a set of the Beatles inspired peripherals for you all to rock out on.

We will be testing out modern telecommunications with a live link up to Miami on Saturday.

We have a new forum for the show at http://retroreunited.info/forum

Ticket sales are going really well and it looks like we are going to have a great show.
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

Hi All

i will be there i have my ticket and have booked cedarwood fri/sat night

will be bringing ELK with IDE and FPGAELK
will also put together a few IDE interfaces before then a bring them along

Aland
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

SirClive wrote:There are only 81 days until Retro Reunited and I am already getting very stressed out ...
Only 77 days now, so you must really be climbing up the wall! Try to stay cool, Sir. It's always the best way.

I don't want to put anybody off ... but I had better let it be known that I've bought my ticket. But don't worry, as usual I shall be visiting incognito and heavily disguised as a human being! :)
sorvad

Post by sorvad »

AlanD wrote:will be bringing ELK with IDE and FPGAELK
Aland
Look forward to seeing the FPGAELK
retroclinic

Post by retroclinic »

Ordered my tickets and paid for the hotel too now....just need to book holiday with my work, or else it's gonna be a late arrival Friday night/Saturday morning!

Tentative list for things to bring:

1 x BBC B with External CF IDE Interface
1 x M128 with External DataCentre
1 x BBC B With Music 5000/4000 System
CUBs (and spare CUBs (and spare CUBs for the spares...you get the drift...))

Usual crop of goodies for sale at a discount:
Internal and External CF Upgrades
DataCentre Internal and External (Hopefully...should be ready by then)
1770 DFS Kits
DualOS Kits for Master 128 and BBC B+
...and anything else I can dig out...

Mark.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

The thought occurs that (perhaps nearer to the date of the event), if people attending are looking for anything particular (like old Cubs, parts for the Beeb etc.), if they make their requirements known ... then we could all load up the car a bit, as it were!

I guess that "the management" wouldn't be too happy with a fully fledged car-boot sale around the back of the hotel ... or would they?

The ways things are (not) going with my surplus kit on eBay at the moment, I reckon I'm still going to be stuck with a fair amount of kit myself! :(
SirClive

Post by SirClive »

Greybeard wrote:I guess that "the management" wouldn't be too happy with a fully fledged car-boot sale around the back of the hotel ... or would they?
Dave is managing the Acorn area at the venue, so it is up to him really.
retroclinic

Post by retroclinic »

SirClive wrote:Dave is managing the Acorn area at the venue, so it is up to him really.
Full-on Acorn bring-and-buy then \:D/

Mark.
SirClive

Post by SirClive »

Nice to see more of you guys geting your tickets bought :D
retroclinic

Post by retroclinic »

SirClive wrote:Nice to see more of you guys geting your tickets bought :D
SirClive, do we get "physical" tickets through the post, or are we just on "the list" for getting in the door?

Thx, Mark.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

You get tickets ... great big shiny ones!!!

Anyway, guess I'll have to add a table for 'Bring and Buy' to the plan, eh? :)

Return to “past events & exhibitions”