Lady Bug

developing/porting a new game or gaming framework? post in here!
lovebug

Re: Lady Bug

Post by lovebug »

BTW did you know that at the start of the game the tune plays longer with a bit more variation if you don't start shooting aliens immediately as the alien dying sound effect cuts the music short :(
Image Image Image Image
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

I did something silly with the editor, I created a maze with only 1 dot that is right under ladybugs starting position and loaded this into all 3 maze slots

Now when the level starts ladybug will automatically collect the dot under her which ends the level
The level will then advance to the next and continue do this forever :rofl:

Screenshot from 2024-03-24 12-01-34.png
Image Image Image Image
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

Build 003385

When I originally wrote ladybug it was a single maze game like the arcade game where the central enemy box had a single upwards facing exit

Later I added the maze editor to allow players to create/edit many mazes on disk and select any 3 to play in game, this led to the possibility of the enemy central box having exit(s) in other directions or even none at all !

The game was originally hard coded to assume that there was only the upward facing exit so in this build I have fixed the .enemyRelease function in ladybug.asm to check for available exits and chose one at random, if none exist then the enemy is left inside the box and isn't released

Lady Bug.ssd
(51.25 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

ladybug title screen.png
Last edited by lovebug on Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

I just wondered what would happen if you

1) create a maze and save it
2) press break and *delete it
3) boot the disk and go back to the editor

well it doesn't like it ! maybe I should fix this ?
the editor is extremely low of free memory so I'm not sure it will be possible to add the extra code required

a work-around if this ever happens is to boot the disk, choose option 'R' and reset the maps to default
after this the editor will load correctly and you'll be able to load and edit your custom maps again

Screenshot from 2024-03-26 09-16-18.png
Image Image Image Image
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

I had a thought about this and I think the solution would be to do the file exists check in boot.bas which can replace a missing file name with a default map name to prevent this editor glitch

i'll add that tonight
Last edited by lovebug on Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

Build 003388

Added a test in boot.bas to check if the files named in _Maps actually exist on the disk, any files that are not found will have its filename in _Maps replaced with the default file name for that slot _Map1 _Map2 _Map3

This prevents the map editor going crazy if a map file was renamed or deleted from the disk but still referenced in the _Maps file

Lady Bug.ssd
(51.5 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

ladybug title screen.png
Image Image Image Image
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

Build 003392

I noticed that the changes to boot.bas has had an effect on reset.bas for some reason, when choosing the R option from the menu I saw that the screen kind of glitched a little so I have fixed this by changing the way the screen is cleared

Also in .enemySpawn (ladybug.asm) there were two loops to check if the enemy box was empty and if there was an available enemy to spawn into the box, I have combined these two loops into one saving 7 bytes :lol:

Lady Bug.ssd
(51.5 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

ladybug title screen.png
Image Image Image Image

Return to “new projects in development: games”