SIGMA - FINAL CALL FOR TESTERS!

development and releases of new/rewritten text adventures
leenew

SIGMA - FINAL CALL FOR TESTERS!

Post by leenew »

Hi,
I have completed the final part of the final part of the SIGMA experiment. 8)
The Charlie Finale part 2.
Once this final bit has been debugged, the full game will all get stitched together.

Normal rules apply. Try and break it.
Please report anything that doesn't seem right. Poor messaging, unexpected errors or actions or outcomes.
Anything you don't like.
The "finale" bit makes more sense if you have played the earlier instalments of the game, but this final section can be played as a little self-contained game without any knowledge of the previous parts.
These have all been in the "style" of an early 80s text adventure, so expect to die a few times before you gain enough knowledge to complete the game.
Just to be extra-sneaky, this final part has a time limit (a "move" limit actually) so you may have to optimise your route...

As the game gets debugged I will keep the latest version here in this first post.

PLEASE PLAY ON A STANDARD BBCMICRO WITH PAGE AT &1300 OR IN AN EMULATOR WITH PAGE AT &1300.
IF YOU ARE PLAYING IN AN EMULATOR PLEASE TURN OFF ANY CO-PROCESSOR FOR NOW.
Thanks!

PAGE=&1300
CHAIN "C2PACK"
C2beta5.ssd
(200 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Lee.
Last edited by leenew on Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
leenew

Re: SIGMA - FINAL CALL FOR TESTERS!

Post by leenew »

Updated to beta 2 after some good feedback from iamaran.
Please always try to use the latest image.

Thanks!

Lee.
leenew

Post by leenew »

I hereby declare Aran to be the first human to complete the SIGMA experiment. Well done!!!
I will be updating to beta 3 probably tomorrow (I have had a glass of wine so probably best I don't mess with it tonight)!

Lee
iamaran

Post by iamaran »

I thoroughly enjoyed it, really well done!
leenew

Post by leenew »

Thanks Aran :D
Updated to Beta3 which hopefully fixes all your niggles.

Lee.
leenew

Post by leenew »

Fixed a couple of silly bugs and poor messages.
Updated to beta4 in the first post.

Lee.
melchett

Post by melchett »

Unexpectedly had some free time last night Lee and managed to load this up and play with it. All these comments are based on RC1.

Firstly, well done on the ending, it didn't disappoint and I like what you did immensely. It all makes sense now!

<rot13>
1. Ertneqyrff bs jurer lbh hajenc gur fnaqjvpu, gur gvasbvy nyjnlf nccrnef va gur oevtugyl yvg erprcgvba. Ohg vs V hajenc gur pneq vg fgnlf va zl vairagbel. V xabj vg fnlf V qvfpneq vg jura V hajenc gur fnaqjvpu ohg frrzf bqq sbe vg gb tb gb gur erprcgvba ertneqyrff bs jurer V qvq gung.

2. Gur ybpxrq frphevgl qbbe vf "ba gur Fbhgu jnyy" ohg bapr haybpxrq V unir gb tb Qbja - whfg frrzrq n fgenatr punatr bs qverpgvba gung n qbbe jbhyq bcra gung abj jnfa'g Fbhgu.

3. V fgvyy unir gur fgevat nsgre V unir gvrq gur xrlf naq chyyrq gur fgevat. Naq gur xrlf ner qrfpevorq nf gvrq gbtrgure. V rkcrpgrq vg gb qvfnccrne sebz zl vairagbel.

4. Ng bar cbvag, V pbhyq abg cvpx hc gur sbvy nsgre V unq ghearq gur xrlf. Fgehttyvat gb ercebqhpr gung abj. Ohg V jnf ybpxrq va n fgngr jurer V pbhyqa'g cebterff (ohg gur rkcybqvat obzo fbba fbyirq gung sbe zr). V'yy gel guvf ntnva naq frr vs V pna trg erperngr ng gur jrrxraq.

5. Nsgre gnyxvat gb Vinabi naq ernccrnevat va gur Sblre, gurer vf n "Uhu?" zrffntr cerfrag.
</rot13>

And great humour throughout - I groaned loudly when I worked out the <rot13>obzo pbzovangvba naq jul</rot13>. I also liked the presence of the <rot13>oop zvpeb</rot13> and references to physics and the <rot13>Npbea uneqjner anzrf</rot13>

I think the <rot13>nyzbfg Zngevk yvxr grkg navzngvba</rot13> at the end is a first for an adventure game - nice touch and adds a great deal what you were told prior to that.
leenew

Post by leenew »

Hi melchett,
Glad you found some time!

1)Bbcf! V unq znqr n glcb. Guvf fubhyq qvfpneq gur sbvy vagb nal ebbz lbh ner va abj. Guvf fubhyq nyfb svk cbvag 4 gbb.
2)Uzzz... lrf. Guvf vf n ol-cebqhpg bs zl "gvtug" znc qrfvta.
V jnagrq n syvtug bs fgnvef qbja, naq gur jnl V cvpgherq vg jnf n qbbe ba gur fbhgu jnyy gung fyvqrf bcra erirnyvat n fgnvepnfr tbvat qbja.
V qba'g ernyyl jnag na rkgen ebbz naq V qvqa'g jnag gb qrfpevor gur qbbe nf orvat va gur sybbe yvxr n ungpu!
V pbhyq fvzcyl nqq nabgure zrffntr fnlvat "*GUHAX* Gur qbbe fyvqrf bcra erirnyvat n fgnvepnfr". V jvyy qb gung vs V unir ebbz, ohg vg vf n yvggyr gvtug (nf hfhny).
3) V cvpgherq vg nf n onyy bs fgevat, gung lbh unir hfrq fbzr ohg abg nyy bs!
V pna "qvfnccrne" gur onyy bs fgevat sebz lbhe vairagbel, ohg guvf unf bgure fvqr-rssrpgf, fb V unir punatrq gur qrfpevcgvba gb "n fznyy onyy bs fgevat"!
4) frr 1
5) FIXED
UPDATED TO BETA 5 IN THE FIRST POST.

I am glad you liked it :D
I don't know if the last puzzle is genius or the worst puzzle ever to find its way into an adventure game?
It is one or the other :lol:
I will fix up any other bugs that come to light.
All in all I have enjoyed writing it, even though some of it has been a bit of a slog.
A big thank you to everybody who has played the game and helped test it. =D>

Lee.
melchett

Post by melchett »

>I don't know if the last puzzle is genius or the worst puzzle ever to find its way into an adventure game?

I don't think the adventuring world will ever stoop below the Isle of Xaan sleeping guard puzzle... you are safe :D

Your puzzle is funny when you work it out in a good groan inducing way.

And thanks for the feedback and updates on the points I raised. I could work around them all so it wasn't a problem. Understand the staircase suggestion too - that makes sense, guess it just depends on if you have space for the extra bytes to describe it.

> I am glad you liked it

It's actually been a pleasure to be part of the process, to be able to feedback and watch this evolve - rather than just consume.

> All in all I have enjoyed writing it, even though some of it has been a bit of a slog.

Have you considered open sourcing your tools / code base with instructions?

And congratulations on the completion of what is an epic sequence of adventures!

Andy
leenew

Post by leenew »

Hmmm...
I have no problem in anybody using the code for their own adventures, but I am unsure whether it would be easier than someone writing one from scratch!
I will have a think about the best way to go about it.

Lee.
Rod C

Post by Rod C »

leenew wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:02 pm I hereby declare Aran to be the first human to complete the SIGMA experiment. Well done!!!
Lee
Well done indeed, but are non-humans playing too? :shock: Scary, considering some of the creatures you've introduced us to! :lol:

I've only gone a little way into this and greatly looking forward to it. However, I have found an inconsistency that you may want to know about, Lee.

<ROT13>
V erzbir birenyyf naq svaq gung zl VAI abj vapyhqrf n onqtr. V qebc gur birenyyf naq fgvyy unir gur onqtr. V pna'g rknzvar vg ohg pna jrne vg. V qebc gur onqtr naq vg qvfnccrnef naq vf ab ybatre va VAI. V trg gur birenyyf, jrne gurz, erzbir gurz naq gur onqtr ernccrnef va VAI, onpx gb jurer jr jrer orsber.
</ROT13>
leenew

Post by leenew »

Eek!
Why did nobody else spot that!
I will fix it ASAP.

V erzrzore jbaqrevat jung V fubhyq qb jvgu vg qrcraqvat vs vg jnf jbea orsber be nsgre jrnevat gur birenyyf be gur enqvngvba fhvg.
Gurer'f nyjnlf fbzrguvat gung pnhfrf n ceboyrz!!

Lee.
iamaran

Post by iamaran »

Jryy, jung fbeg bs crefba erzbirf gurve birenyyf orsber qbaavat n enqvngvba fhvg!?
leenew

Post by leenew »

Rknpgyl! fbzr xvaq bs snoevp crei...

Guvf unf bcrarq n pna bs jbezf.
Vzntvar guvf: (V jvyy or inthr fb nf abg gb fcbvy vg rira va EBG13!)

JRNE ONQTR
JRNE ENQVNGVBA FHVG
TB QBJA VAGB GUR "ONFRZRAG"
ERZBIR ONQTR

Va ernyvgl guvf fubhyq xvyy lbh nf lbh jbhyq unir gb bcra lbhe fhvg gb trg gur onqtr!!

Lee.
leenew

Post by leenew »

OK.
It seems the simple solutions are sometimes best...

Vg vf abj abg cbffvoyr gb erzbir gur birenyyf.
Jura lbh ner ba n qnatrebhf zvffvba, V qba'g guvax lbh fubhyq or fjnaavat nebhaq va lbhe haqvrf.
Lbh pnaabg abj erzbir gur onqtr vs lbh ner va "gur onfrzrag"...

I will upload a new image in a bit.
In the mean-time, try to complete your mission whilst wearing clothes... :wink:

Lee.
leenew

Post by leenew »

Uploaded a new version (8.26pm)
If you were the 1 person who downloaded the 7pm version, get this new 8.26pm version as yours is broken!
(I forgot a *DRIVE2 so it won't load the last part!!!!!)

Lee.
Rod C

Post by Rod C »

leenew wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:29 pm Uploaded a new version (8.26pm)
Lee, it looks like you updated the Disc999-SigmaExperiment.dsd in the other post. If I load those discs and chain C2 will that work OK?
leenew

Post by leenew »

Hi Rod,
Either boot the disc and choose option 5 for "Charlie part 2"

or

PAGE=&1300
CHAIN "C2" if you prefer.
*I just uploaded a very, very minor tweak which gives a different message to one action. Not a big deal..

Lee.
Rod C

Post by Rod C »

Ah, I hadn't even booted the disc because I thought it would start from the beginning. Much better to go that way and see the nice explosion pic!

Thanks.

Return to “new projects and releases: text and graphic adventures”