ABUG Canada West Meetup #20 December 18 2020 - Socially Distanced for Covid

threads for previous physical ABug events held in Canada
klintworth

ABUG Canada West Meetup #20 December 18 2020 - Socially Distanced for Covid

Post by klintworth »

'Twas a stormy, rainy cold day that Ed drove to North Vancouver to get his snow tires fitted. We took the opportunity for an altogether too brief distanced meetup. Walking to the local coffee shop, we had to sit outside under cover from the elements to catch up on our news and projects. As is the Canadian custom (!) we exchanged gifts. I was knocked out when Ed gave me a copy of Acorn - a World in Pixels! Ed is a crazy gift giver, but it's the perfect gift for an Acorn nut! He also gave me some laminated pictures so that I can put them up in my Acorn den!
IMG_2718 2.jpg
The Acorn book under the tree
IMG_2726.jpg
BBC B Motherboard
IMG_2727.jpg
Board layout
IMG_2728.jpg
Chip Buster game layout
IMG_2715 2.jpg
The Masked Singer

What was also very special was a live performance by Ed with his ukulele, specially for my wife Melanie. Here it is:
https://youtu.be/YJh3yImsNG4 I hope this works! (Apologies for the traffic and rain noise!)

Let's hope for many more meetings in 2021 - I've especially missed Ed's company :D
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, Olivetti PC128S, Castle A7000+, A3020, Valiant Turtle, Trekker Robot
davidb

Re: ABUG Canada West Meetup #20 December 18 2020 - Socially Distanced for Covid

Post by davidb »

A lovely performance! I had to log in to YouTube just to give it a thumbs up!
richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey »

Enjoy the book!

But I think it needs to be wrapped, so you get a nice surprise on Christmas Day! :lol:
klintworth

Post by klintworth »

richardtoohey wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:04 am Enjoy the book!
But I think it needs to be wrapped, so you get a nice surprise on Christmas Day! :lol:
:lol: \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ :-#
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, Olivetti PC128S, Castle A7000+, A3020, Valiant Turtle, Trekker Robot
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

I'm a bit slow on the uptake but I want to thank Paul and Melanie (though I didn't see Melanie) for the wonderful time Paul and I had for a few short hours. We were socially distanced and just had a nice cup of coffee in an outdoor setting that was cool but invigorating.

So below are a few pictures and they are of some wonderful gifts from the 2 of them.
This calendar and card were the first things gifted to me through the mail, would you believe.  There was one other thing but it's in a different picture.
This calendar and card were the first things gifted to me through the mail, would you believe. There was one other thing but it's in a different picture.
The badge in this picture is that other thing gifted through the mail.  I have no other buttons so this is absolutely top shelf.  The Acorn mags are most wonderful.  I prefer paper over electronics and.....they even have cover disks.....wow!!!
The badge in this picture is that other thing gifted through the mail. I have no other buttons so this is absolutely top shelf. The Acorn mags are most wonderful. I prefer paper over electronics and.....they even have cover disks.....wow!!!
Now last but certainly not least was this beautiful mask that Melanie created and I am so grateful for it, especially during these times.  Thank you so much Melanie (Paul you may show Melanie this post if you wish).  This is my second mask from Melanie and I just love them.  They are very comfortable and easy to use.  The card in the picture is Melanie's business card for the masks if any of you need them.
Now last but certainly not least was this beautiful mask that Melanie created and I am so grateful for it, especially during these times. Thank you so much Melanie (Paul you may show Melanie this post if you wish). This is my second mask from Melanie and I just love them. They are very comfortable and easy to use. The card in the picture is Melanie's business card for the masks if any of you need them.
Since the writing on the card is backwards in the other picture and not very clear, I thought I would take a better picture and here it is.
Since the writing on the card is backwards in the other picture and not very clear, I thought I would take a better picture and here it is.
All in all it was a very nice day even though we had no kit involved this time. It's always heartwarming to be able to see good friends face-to-face and not over zoom when possible.

Thank You Paul and Melanie

Everybody please stay safe (I know you guys are having serious issues in the UK, prayers for you)

and.....Have as Merry a Christmas as is possible under these conditions everyone.

You are all in our thoughts and prayers.
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Oh wow is that a custom ABug calendar? Are there different images on the page for each month?

Anyway thanks guys as ever for the write-ups and photos! They're fascinating to read and I'm glad you're getting to meet up safely ...
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Arcadian wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:03 am Oh wow is that a custom ABug calendar? Are there different images on the page for each month?

Anyway thanks guys as ever for the write-ups and photos! They're fascinating to read and I'm glad you're getting to meet up safely ...
That is in fact a custom ABug calendar created by Paul and gifted to me. It's currently in my computer den what i can see it plainly.
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.

Return to “past physical ABug events (Canada)”