Mirror Of Khoronz New Expanded RISC Version Of Derek Haslam’s Gateway To Karos Sequel

development and releases of new/rewritten text adventures
Canalboy

Mirror Of Khoronz New Expanded RISC Version Of Derek Haslam’s Gateway To Karos Sequel

Post by Canalboy »

A game previously discussed on this forum, Mirror Of Khoronz was originally written for the BBC in 1987 as a sequel to Derek’s excellent Gateway To Karos which was published by Acornsoft. Sadly the BBC’s software arm were no longer interested in publishing IF by then.

With added memory available via the RISC OS he was encouraged to rewrite and restructure Mirror, expanding and improving it to well over 300 locations.

I have recently play tested this new expanded 222K version and the result is an even bigger, cleaned up RISC version which Derek has kindly sent me and would like me to upload.

An interesting logistical feature is that FORWARD, BACK, LEFT and RIGHT work indoors and the standard compass rose directions al fresco.

Definitely fun to play but have your pen and paper / Trizbort close to hand.
mirror.zip
(766.83 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
fuzzel

Re: Mirror Of Khoronz New Expanded RISC Version Of Derek Haslam’s Gateway To Karos Sequel

Post by fuzzel »

Sounds like a great game to play over Christmas, Canalboy. I've downloaded it but can't get it to run in my Archimedes emulator - none of the folders seem to contain disc files. Could you tell me how to run it and on which emulator please?
Canalboy

Re: Mirror Of Khoronz New Expanded RISC Version Of Derek Haslam’s Gateway To Karos Sequel

Post by Canalboy »

Hello Fuzzel

I got it working on RPCEmu 0.9.3 which has !Sparkplug ans all you need contained in it if you downloaded it from the below site. I copied the zip file to the HOSTFS directory and then dragged it on to !Sparkplug, then created a new directory and moved the unpacked file on top it and it seemed to work.

Try this

http://www.marutan.net/rpcemu/easystart.html

Canalboy
ash73

Post by ash73 »

Not working for me in Arculator.

Copied the zip onto the hard drive, reset the type manually to Zip and unpacked it with !SparkFS, no problem getting it installed.

But it says it needs 3000K to start up, so I reconfigured the machine (A3000/RISCOS3.11) to 8GB and now it says "L0 error: no room to extend fixed heap during initialisation at line 1331". I tried dragging the system/heap all the way out to 2048K but no dice.
Canalboy

Post by Canalboy »

Mirror.jpg
It only worked when I dragged the icon to a new directory after unpacking it. I am not sufficiently au fait with RPCEmu to understand its intricacies.
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

ash73 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:50 pm Not working for me in Arculator. Copied the zip onto the hard drive, reset the type manually to Zip and unpacked it with !SparkFS, no problem getting it installed. But it says it needs 3000K to start up, so I reconfigured the machine (A3000/RISCOS3.11) to 8GB and now it says "L0 error: no room to extend fixed heap during initialisation at line 1331".
Yes, I think I also had that error in Arculator.

But even in RPCEmu the game didn't work (can't remember the error details) till I'd installed !Sparkplug and Universal Boot.

:idea:
ash73

Post by ash73 »

I tried adding Universal Boot (is there a thread on that somewhere? I'd love to know what all that stuff is) and I still get the same error in Arculator.
Attachments
error.png
Canalboy

Post by Canalboy »

I don 't know if this is of any use but these are the RPC 0.9.3 settings that I have.
RPCConfig.jpg
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

To save us all a lot of trouble, does anyone have the expertise to take the zipped files and put them on a blank adfs disc which could then be loaded into Arculator (or am I being naive that it's that simple?) Perhaps we could ask the kind folks at the "32-BIT ACORN" sub-forum for help with this ?
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

fuzzel wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:06 pm To save us all a lot of trouble, does anyone have the expertise to take the zipped files and put them on a blank adfs disc which could then be loaded into Arculator (or am I being naive that it's that simple?)
I don't think the issue is that no one has tried putting the files on an ADFS disc-image. I think the issue is that the game doesn't seem to work in Arculator even if you do put the files on an ADFS disc-image.

However, if you download and install RPCEmu and then install !Sparkplug and Universal Boot in RPCEmu, then the game should work in that setup.

Or am I missing the point? Is there a reason why someone would prefer to run the game in Arculator rather than RPCEmu? I confess I know little about the whole world of RISC OS.

:?:
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

I think I'll have a go at the beeb version first and if it floats my boat I'll make a proper effort to get it working on RPCEmu. Of course, in the meantime, some clever soul may have got it working in Arculator.
By the way, the reason I personally like Arculator is that it's so damn easy to use, although having two mouse pointers on screen at the same time takes a bit of getting used to (I seem to recall cursing, "I hate those meeces to pieces...")
Canalboy

Post by Canalboy »

Yes I'm sorry people have been having trouble. I have never used Arculator so I can't be of much help. It definitely works straight off the bat via the RPCEmu easy start bundle.
Canalboy

Post by Canalboy »

By the way this is what it looks like at startup in RPCEmu 0.9.3
Mirror2.jpg
Canalboy

Post by Canalboy »

Just a new heads up that Derek has tweaked the latest version slightly and squashed a couple more lingering bugs involving a candle and a narration by one of the NPCs. My map is now up on the CASA web site.

The definitive version of the game is now on Derek's web site (765kb in size) as indicated below.

http://www.boulsworth.co.uk/intfict/

Canalboy

Return to “new projects and releases: text and graphic adventures”