Elementum for Electron and BBC Micro/Master

0xC0DE

Elementum for Electron and BBC Micro/Master

Post by 0xC0DE »

In a strange, hostile world electronic components have taken the 6502 cpu hostage.
Its 8 status flags are scattered all over each of the 32 levels.
You, a brave electron, have to collect the flags and free the 6502.
Watch out for your nemesis: the positron.
Welcome to Elementum!

elementum.png

Most recent release:

v1.04 - minor update: fixed high score bug, tweaked number of lives

elementum-v1.04.ssd
(22.75 KiB) Downloaded 299 times

elementum-v1.04.uef
(25.6 KiB) Downloaded 245 times

Previous releases:

v1.02 - an option for redefining keys has been added, as well as a "hard mode" with a finite number of lives.

elementum-v1.02.ssd
(22.75 KiB) Downloaded 183 times

elementum-v1.02.uef
(25.59 KiB) Downloaded 182 times

v1.00 (initial release)

elementum.ssd
(20.5 KiB) Downloaded 240 times

elementum.uef
(23 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
Last edited by 0xC0DE on Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro
Andrew_Waite

Re: Elementum for Electron and BBC Micro/Master

Post by Andrew_Waite »

Brilliant and original game.

My only suggestion is to make additional keys, such as A and S keys, move the electron left and right as well as the Z and X keys. This way, the game can be played under emulation on PCs with foreign keyboards such as the German QWERTZ keyboard.

Andrew.
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

Thanks Andrew!
How do you cope with other games? Can you for instance remap keys in your emulator of choice?
0xC0DE
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro
Snuggsy187

Post by Snuggsy187 »

Excellent stuff Kelvin, congratulations on your V1 release ! :D =D> =D> =D>
DROP PARCHMENT > POKE LOCK > PULL PARCHMENT > CURSE > BARGE DOOR > GO DOOR
Twitter: @snuggsy187
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

Snuggsy187 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:24 pm Excellent stuff Kelvin, congratulations on your V1 release ! :D =D> =D> =D>
Thanks Neil, next time it will be your turn!
0xC0DE
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

Old habits die hard... First thing I did was examine the disc image, the level names were easy to spot but I'm still looking for the password table :D

I better get back to playing the game, I'm still finding level 8 damned hard to complete.

I see you've been tweaking the scoring again, the time bonus now starts much higher.

I've no idea if you've messed with the music as my machine is back muted again but I have to say it's a very polished game =D> =D> =D>
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

Marvin wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:52 am Old habits die hard... First thing I did was examine the disc image, the level names were easy to spot but I'm still looking for the password table :D
I think I would do the same!
Marvin wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:52 am I better get back to playing the game, I'm still finding level 8 damned hard to complete.
Thanks for giving it a try, Marvin.
Marvin wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:52 am I see you've been tweaking the scoring again, the time bonus now starts much higher.
Bonus starts at 200. In later levels it was really hard to have some bonus points left after finishing the level.
Marvin wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:52 am I've no idea if you've messed with the music as my machine is back muted again but I have to say it's a very polished game =D> =D> =D>
This is weird! Have you tried pressing Q (quiet) and S (sound)? There should be a tune when you're at the title screen. And sound effects when you're playing. I have tested many emulators but can't test on every conceivable real machine out there. I would be very interested to hear if others have problems with sound!
0xC0DE
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

0xC0DE wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:34 am
Marvin wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:52 am I've no idea if you've messed with the music as my machine is back muted again but I have to say it's a very polished game =D> =D> =D>
This is weird! Have you tried pressing Q (quiet) and S (sound)? There should be a tune when you're at the title screen. And sound effects when you're playing. I have tested many emulators but can't test on every conceivable real machine out there. I would be very interested to hear if others have problems with sound!
:oops: :oops: :oops: Sorry if you've wasted time because of me, I don't have a problem with sound on my machine, it works just fine when I un-mute.

30+ years ago I modified my machine to have a headphone jack to stop my parents knowing I was having a late night gaming session, if I'm on headphones it mutes the internal speaker. Nowadays I usually have a blank plug inserted that just mutes everything. :oops: :oops: :oops:
jms2

Post by jms2 »

Just tried it for the first time since playing the demo - it's really good, and certainly has a thoroughly "modern" feel. It's also very addictive to play. That said I have only got to level 3 so far...
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

Marvin wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:55 am
0xC0DE wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:34 am
:oops: :oops: :oops: Sorry if you've wasted time because of me, I don't have a problem with sound on my machine, it works just fine when I un-mute.

30+ years ago I modified my machine to have a headphone jack to stop my parents knowing I was having a late night gaming session, if I'm on headphones it mutes the internal speaker. Nowadays I usually have a blank plug inserted that just mutes everything. :oops: :oops: :oops:
No problem, I'm just glad it's not a bug in my game!
0xC0DE
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

jms2 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:17 am Just tried it for the first time since playing the demo - it's really good, and certainly has a thoroughly "modern" feel. It's also very addictive to play. That said I have only got to level 3 so far...
That's great to hear, thank you! Keep practicing though, much tougher levels ahead haha
0xC0DE
tricky

Post by tricky »

Great game, but I can't get used to falling off a lpatform and then jumping in mid-air, I guess I am just too old ;)
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

tricky wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:02 pm Great game, but I can't get used to falling off a lpatform and then jumping in mid-air, I guess I am just too old ;)
Thanks tricky! Yes, it takes some time to get used to "coyote time" but it may save you a few times in some levels.
0xC0DE
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

0xC0DE wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:55 pm
tricky wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:02 pm Great game, but I can't get used to falling off a lpatform and then jumping in mid-air, I guess I am just too old ;)
Thanks tricky! Yes, it takes some time to get used to "coyote time" but it may save you a few times in some levels.
Would I be correct in thinking that some later levels actually require you to jump once you've left the platform ? I'm fairly sure you can't make some of the jumps without the extra bit of length it gives you...
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

Marvin wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:34 pm
0xC0DE wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:55 pm
Would I be correct in thinking that some later levels actually require you to jump once you've left the platform ? I'm fairly sure you can't make some of the jumps without the extra bit of length it gives you...
You are correct. In fact, you can't even complete level 1 without it :mrgreen:
0xC0DE
tricky

Post by tricky »

It's a great game and a great achievement.
I think I am now having more trouble with getting past a slow bit and running off the end/jumping too far - maybe I shouldn't hold the turbo button down all the time!
Not trying to change your design, but do you think the turbo bits might work as a floor type? I know this would be a huge hint as how to do the level.
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

tricky wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:07 pm maybe I shouldn't hold the turbo button down all the time!
When I first started playing this game I never used the turbo button unless I needed it for a longer jump. As I got better at playing it I started using the turbo button to complete the level faster and get a higher bonus score.
tricky wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:07 pm Not trying to change your design, but do you think the turbo bits might work as a floor type? I know this would be a huge hint as how to do the level.
I don't think you need a turbo floor to give a hint as to how to complete a level, All I do is pause the level at the beginning and plan a route thinking of the length of jump required for each bit.

The jumps I use are as follows...

1) standing jump + direction (shortest)
2) walking jump
3) standing jump + turbo + direction
4) turbo walking + jump
5) either 2 or 4 but wait until off the end of the platform "coyote time" before jumping (4 + coyote time is the longest jump possible I think)

You can shorten a jump by stop pressing the direction whilst in the air or even press the opposite direction...

Occasionally I've managed to bounce off the top of a triac with another jump (is this a bug ?)
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

Marvin wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:54 pm
tricky wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:07 pm maybe I shouldn't hold the turbo button down all the time!
When I first started playing this game I never used the turbo button unless I needed it for a longer jump. As I got better at playing it I started using the turbo button to complete the level faster and get a higher bonus score.
tricky wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:07 pm Not trying to change your design, but do you think the turbo bits might work as a floor type? I know this would be a huge hint as how to do the level.
I don't think you need a turbo floor to give a hint as to how to complete a level, All I do is pause the level at the beginning and plan a route thinking of the length of jump required for each bit.

The jumps I use are as follows...

1) standing jump + direction (shortest)
2) walking jump
3) standing jump + turbo + direction
4) turbo walking + jump
5) either 2 or 4 but wait until off the end of the platform "coyote time" before jumping (4 + coyote time is the longest jump possible I think)

You can shorten a jump by stop pressing the direction whilst in the air or even press the opposite direction...

Occasionally I've managed to bounce off the top of a triac with another jump (is this a bug ?)
@tricky: I'm inclined to agree with Marvin :D
@Marvin: You've got all the jumps spot on! The jump off the top of a triac is a known bug, but I decided to leave it in :mrgreen:
0xC0DE
tone76

Post by tone76 »

This is a brilliant game! It's a lot of fun and oddly addictive... I'm really enjoying it! The monochrome aesthetic works well, and I enjoy the full-on nerdy theme. :D

Only one minor piece of feedback... using the Return key as a jump button seems a little unnatural to me, especially in proximity to the Shift key (required to speed up). I found myself either going for the Space bar to jump, or really having to concentrate when speeding up and jumping at the same time. Unless of course this is by design, in order to get the player to concentrate a bit more...

It still doesn't change the fact that this game is impressive, especially for a V1.0 release.
Acorn Electron
BBC Model B (either too many or not enough)
BBC Model B+ 128K
BBC Master 128 x 2
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

Thank you! I think I may add a "redefine keys" option
0xC0DE
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

The original post is updated with Elementum v1.02:
- added an option for redefining keys
- added a "hard mode" with a finite number of lives
0xC0DE
hicks

Post by hicks »

This looks great, will give it a go on the Elk. You mention adding finite lives mode, have you also considered a running deaths counter. That way even when you don't complete the game you can feel a sense of achievement for getting to level X with only 176 deaths this time :) vvvvv (on steam) has a similar count and it adds to the addictiveness imo.
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

hicks wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:05 am have you also considered a running deaths counter.
Noooooo!

I really don't want to know how many times I've "died", It's got to be in the many hundreds by now... :lol:

And as for adding a harder mode, that's just sadistic :D
hicks

Post by hicks »

Marvin wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:36 am Noooooo!

I really don't want to know how many times I've "died", It's got to be in the many hundreds by now... :lol:

And as for adding a harder mode, that's just sadistic :D
If it only shows you at the end of each level, it might not be so demoralising :)
JasonStonier

Post by JasonStonier »

0xC0DE wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:39 pm You are correct. In fact, you can't even complete level 1 without it :mrgreen:
Yes you can :wink:

Have to say, this is by far my favourite game on the beeb at the moment (sorry, Tricky) - superb gameplay: just the right level of difficulty and I think you pitched the "just one more try" playability just right. It's the first game in a very long time that I'm itching to get back and play when I get a break from work.

Currently stuck on level 7, but that's probably because I have, literally just now on this thread, discovered that you can jump in mid air.

Awesome job.

0xC0DE - are you also responsible for a demo that was doing the rounds - Bad Apple I think it was called...? I'm in awe of your coding skills.
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

JasonStonier wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:03 am
0xC0DE wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:39 pm You are correct. In fact, you can't even complete level 1 without it :mrgreen:
Yes you can :wink:

Have to say, this is by far my favourite game on the beeb at the moment (sorry, Tricky) - superb gameplay: just the right level of difficulty and I think you pitched the "just one more try" playability just right. It's the first game in a very long time that I'm itching to get back and play when I get a break from work.

Currently stuck on level 7, but that's probably because I have, literally just now on this thread, discovered that you can jump in mid air.

Awesome job.

0xC0DE - are you also responsible for a demo that was doing the rounds - Bad Apple I think it was called...? I'm in awe of your coding skills.
I'm very happy to read that you are enjoying my game, thanks for the really kind words!
If you are referring to the Bad Apple demo on the Acorn Electron, that's indeed my work. The Beeb version was made by the Bitshifters.
Enjoy the rest of Elementum! :mrgreen:
0xC0DE
JasonStonier

Post by JasonStonier »

And here's you, inspiring the younger generation.
IMG_2306.jpg
My 9-year-old who started off by saying "looks a bit lame", and then an hour later was still shouting at the screen on level 6.

My teenager's response was "cool, that's basically Geometry Dash but from historic times..."
leenew

Post by leenew »

JasonStonier wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:55 am My teenager's response was "cool, that's basically Geometry Dash but from historic times..."
:lol:
sydney

Post by sydney »

Just wanted to add my praise for this game. It's great and captures the frustratingly brilliant one more go feeling I remember from so many games back in the day. I've nearly smashed the break key through the table several times, which is probably what killed my elk back in the day.
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

JasonStonier wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:55 am And here's you, inspiring the younger generation.

My 9-year-old who started off by saying "looks a bit lame", and then an hour later was still shouting at the screen on level 6.

My teenager's response was "cool, that's basically Geometry Dash but from historic times..."
=D>

That must be the ultimate test for any game, I love it! My two teenagers also show interest, so that gave me hope as well :D
0xC0DE

Return to “new bbc and electron games from 'retro software'”