Technodream on emulation

subjects relating to classic games for the archimedes and risc pc
arakeen

Technodream on emulation

Post by arakeen »

Hi,

I'm keen to have another go through Technodream after 20+ years. Unfortunately I don't have any working Acorn hardware to use/extract my original disks and the copy protection is defeating me in emulation.

I've seen that an updated version has been available on CD with Nevryon from Matthew Thompson - he hasn't been active here for a while though, and I'm not yet approved to send PMs.

So, I have a few requests, one of which will hopefully get me going with this:

Does anyone know if Matthew Thompson is still supplying these CDs (whether physical or digital), and have alternative contact details?
Has anyone previously purchased one of the CDs and is willing to part with it (second hand purchase for at/around original price)?
Slightly grey area - does someone have working JFDs which they could supply offline (further proof of my ownership can be provided)?

(As I can't send or reply to PMs I'll need another way to get back to anyone who is able to help).

Thank you.
TechnodreamBoxDiscs.jpg
arakeen

Re: Technodream on emulation

Post by arakeen »

Thanks for the PM, sorry but still can't reply directly. Thanks for clearing up the situation, I think I must have misunderstood things (gleaned from various sources across this board and elsewhere).
MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson »

I have dug out this re-issue version I have , it was the original Superior packaging, but instead of the discs came with a ProAction CD-ROM which also contains the BBC version of Nevryon.

This version of Technodream does not require any floppy discs and runs perfectly on my ARMX6 (RISC OS 5.27) running in Acorn RISC OS 3 legacy mode.

I have attached a picture of what the product looks like and a picture of the game running on my ARMX6 .

Whether David Bradforth at ProAction still has any copies of this still available I don't know. I think he's still active in the RISC OS world in some capacity. But this is the version you need to run under emulation as it doesn't need any floppy discs to run.
Attachments
TD.jpg
MatthewThompson

the game running on ARMX6 (legacy mode - not the best picture but you can see it running)
Attachments
TDARM.jpg
arakeen

Post by arakeen »

Thanks for the extra info - I'll maybe try and track him down, but it's looking like I've just left it all a bit too late on all counts :(
acorndave

Post by acorndave »

There's one on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nevryon-and- ... Swp49exn3Y

£30 staring bid though + £5 postage.

Nearly 6 days to run, might be worth watching. ...

Or too pricey ? Guess it depends how keen you are on it.
arakeen

Post by arakeen »

Not quite that keen for something that was £6 originally :lol:

Thanks for letting me know though. I'm pretty sure that seller just puts it on repeatedly, every time I do another search for something I've missed I see it on there for the same price with a few days to run but still no takers... Next time I'm bored enough I might contact them to see if they'd put it on for less but it looks like they're holding out for the big profit.
MatthewThompson

I was going to mention I spotted that on Ebay , but that is just people out to cash in/rip off people, no need to sell it for that much,which is probably why it hasn't sold !!

There were another relase of Technodream later on, see the attached version that APDL/4th Dimension put out.

This maybe still available, i'm not sure, APDL does not really exist anymore, only a website here.

http://www.apdl.org.uk/

But it might be worth contacting CJE Micros who own 4D they might be able to help or might even one in stock - worth a try

http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/
Attachments
screen1.jpg
philpem

Post by philpem »

MatthewThompson wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:56 am But it might be worth contacting CJE Micros who own 4D they might be able to help or might even one in stock - worth a try
CJE don't own the 4D software any more -- it was sold to APDL some years before David Holden's unfortunate passing.
Questions about software preservation (BBC, RISC OS or other platforms)? Please feel free to ask.
Currently looking for RISC OS software to archive and preserve, please drop me a PM if you have any to offer.
MatthewThompson

philpem wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:36 pm
MatthewThompson wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:56 am But it might be worth contacting CJE Micros who own 4D they might be able to help or might even one in stock - worth a try
CJE don't own the 4D software any more -- it was sold to APDL some years before David Holden's unfortunate passing.
I didn't know that , they obviously just own the 4D name now, rather than the actual software, as the name is still used on their website.

Still worth asking them if they might have any of either re-issue in stock or could get one, they do have a lot of stuff !
arakeen

Post by arakeen »

I tried "sales" at the old and current apdl domains with no response, a previously active apdl-proaction domain no longer exists either. CJE don't have it available. Really appreciate all the suggestions, thank you.
acorndave

Post by acorndave »

The credits at the bottom of the apdl webpage mention Aaron Timbrell / 3QD. You could give him a try

http://www.riscos.com/contact_details/index.htm
MatthewThompson

acorndave wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:07 pm The credits at the bottom of the apdl webpage mention Aaron Timbrell / 3QD. You could give him a try

Certainly worth a try, as Aaron was involved with APDL and (maybe) Proaction, but he might have a recent contact for David Bradforth, he had his Alligata Media operation but that seems defunct now and the email address there doesn't work.

I don't actually know who owns the copyright to this re-issued Technodream release as it is different to the original Superior release, at a guess I would say Proaction/ADPL do , but I could be wrong.
MatthewThompson

acorndave wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:07 pm The credits at the bottom of the apdl webpage mention Aaron Timbrell / 3QD. You could give him a try

Certainly worth a try, as Aaron was involved with APDL and (maybe) Proaction, but he might have a recent contact for David Bradforth, he had his Alligata Media operation but that seems defunct now and the email address there doesn't work.

I don't actually know who owns the copyright to this re-issued Technodream release as it is different to the original Superior release, at a guess I would say Proaction/ADPL do , but I could be wrong.
arakeen

Post by arakeen »

Thank you again - I've popped him a message at the address on that page, I'll post again with any updates.
arakeen

Post by arakeen »

Aaron replied a few days ago after my email ended up in his spam folder. He's not in a position to help at the moment as he gets lots of queries looking for support, but it sounds like he doesn't have a stock of these CDs available anyway. He is still hoping to make "all the APDL software available as downloads" (suggesting that distribution isn't an issue) but has been struggling to find the time to complete the work needed.

He's happy for me to post this info, hope it's of interest to know that this and other APDL software may become available in the future.
dmitrysimlyansky

Post by dmitrysimlyansky »

I have 3 ADF of Technodream! But I can use them with GOTEK on real hardware only.
wmd

Post by wmd »

MatthewThompson wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:10 pmI don't actually know who owns the copyright to this re-issued Technodream release as it is different to the original Superior release, at a guess I would say Proaction/ADPL do , but I could be wrong.
When you say the releases are different, in what way?
wmd

Post by wmd »

Technodream is on the APDL Shoot-Up Games Collection.iso.zip 4.58 MB:

http://www.arcarc.nl/games.html

However, I can not get the installer working. After reading the ISO on Windows, then copying to HostFS on Arculator, you get this:

Note that there is no icon to drag! Anyone know how to fix this? I tried using CDFaker within RISC OS to read the ISO directly, but it does not work. For reference, for all the data files in the DATA folder, when transferring to HostFS I set the data type to FFD (Arbitrary data type). Not sure if that has any bearing on things. Maybe someone could check if they can read the ISO on real hardware?
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

wmd wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:54 pm Note that there is no icon to drag!
What do you mean? It's right there - the joystick icon. Do you mean, it's undraggable for you? It might just appear as a dotty drag-box, depending on your machine settings.

Look, here's me dragging it... woo!
drag.png
drag.png (34.16 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
wmd

Post by wmd »

That icon isn't draggable on Arculator running RISC OS 3.11.
IanS

Post by IanS »

I don't have a CD setup in arculator, but using RPCEmu to open the ISO image and copy the !Install to hostfs, and then transferring that to a arculator hostfs folder, it happily allowed me to drag the joystick icon and install the games.
apdl.PNG
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

wmd wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:18 pm That icon isn't draggable on Arculator running RISC OS 3.11.
That's a rather strong statement :lol:

Can we change your mind?...
dragging.png
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

With no !Boot or other stuff loaded - just the bare OS - and in low resolution mode too - it still seems fine too...
dragging2.png
wmd

Post by wmd »

Not working here, using Arculator v2.0. What are the file types for the files in your DATA folder? I wonder if they need to be set to a certain type and I have them as the wrong type.
wmd

Post by wmd »

I also suspect it's because I am running the installer from HostFS.
wmd

Post by wmd »

Nope, got it working. Simply upgrading to Arculator v2.2 fixed it. Weird.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

wmd wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:35 pm Nope, got it working. Simply upgrading to Arculator v2.2 fixed it. Weird.
Interesting, though Arculator 2.0 is over 3.5 years old at this point.
wmd

Post by wmd »

Got it onto my A3020, but not working, I get an error:

Code: Select all

Message from Pro Action

Please click on your monitor type
But nothing else is shown on screen to select monitor type from. Clicking OK on that error brings up another error:

Drive Empty
Same errors on Arculator too.
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

wmd wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:25 pm

Message from Pro Action

Please click on your monitor type
!Setup requires a newer version of Window Manager to show the Monitor selection buttons.

If you update !Boot.Resources.!System.310.Modules.Wimp with the latest version from System resources, it might run okay. Don't be tempted to perform a !System merge, just copy that one Module across...and assuming you have a proper !Boot sequence, it should update the Wimp during start-up.

That said, there might be other dependencies, but it runs okay for me under RO3.1x

Return to “32-bit acorn software: classic games”