Weeknight 'Virtual' Dev session #2, Thursday 10th September 2020, 7pm - 10pm

threads for previous weeknight 'developer' sessions
Arcadian
Site Admin

Weeknight 'Virtual' Dev session #2, Thursday 10th September 2020, 7pm - 10pm

Post by Arcadian »

As the new games and demo coding sections of the forum are currently very active, we have launched a new, weeknight "Dev session" on Zoom, that will primarily be focused on the development of new games and graphics/music demos for Acorn computers as well as development tools, emulators and debuggers.

They take place the week in-between the 2 x Tuesday night 'general' sessions on the Thursday evening, between 7pm and 10pm.

The sessions are intended for developers to share progress updates and request/offer help and feedback. We hope that these sessions will help motivate and encourage developers to see projects through to completion.

Just to be clear - these sessions are open to everyone: programmers, graphics artists and musicians, even if you've just got an interest/appreciation of - or ideas for - new games and demos, please come along for moral support - there may be opportunities to beta-test new versions of upcoming projects :). There really isn't a limit to the number of places available - well, the maximum we can host in a Zoom meeting is 100 but it's unlikely we'll ever get anywhere near that figure!

If there are any issues you'd like help with - or would like to demonstrate something - please leave details in the thread and we'll add them to the lists of items to be covered.

The Masterclass section will again be presented by KieranHJ - who will deliver Part 2 of his talk about Interrupts on the BBC Micro (see here for videos of Part 1).

If you are new to Zoom, forum member JudgeBeeb has written a handy guide to getting set up and logged in.

Schedule

Attending
  1. Arcadian (Dave). Moderating (host). Zoom calendar invite accepted
  2. KieranHJ (Kieran). Co-host. Presenting: Masterclass - Interrupts Pt 2 Zoom calendar invite received
  3. dudleysoft71 (James). Zoom calendar invite accepted
  4. tricky (Richard). Presenting: Interrupt routines demo. REVEAL: new game conversion Zoom calendar invite accepted
  5. BigEd (Ed). From 20:30. Zoom calendar invite accepted
  6. Snuggsy187 (Neil). Update: Pooyan Zoom calendar invite accepted
  7. markdryan (Mark). From 20:00. Update: Subtilis Zoom calendar invite sent
  8. Dave Footitt (Dave). Zoom calendar invite accepted
  9. SimonSideburns (Simon). Zoom calendar invite accepted
  10. 0xC0DE (Kelvin). REVEAL: new platformer for the Elk Zoom calendar invite accepted
  11. oss003 (Kees). Help needed: DIS6502 Update: Atom Hobgoblin Zoom calendar invite accepted
  12. flibble (Peter). Zoom calendar invite accepted
  13. SarahWalker (Sarah). Zoom calendar invite sent
  14. chrisn (Chris). Zoom calendar invite sent
  15. JIM (James). Help needed: scrolling Update: Pac-ton demo Zoom calendar invite accepted
  16. Zarchos (Xavier). [Discord] Update: Arc SOTB demo & Arc vertical shooter concept Zoom calendar invite accepted
  17. 1024MAK (Mark). Zoom calendar invite accepted
  18. jubber (Robin). Zoom info emailed
  19. pernod (Nigel). Zoom calendar invite accepted
  20. IanS (Ian). Zoom info pm'd
  21. sa_scott (Stephen). Zoom info pm'd - can hopefully attend some of the session
  22. Retrobob (Bob Bailey). [Acorn Facebook group member] Zoom info sent via Messenger
  23. RobC (Rob). Zoom info emailed
  24. DamienSturdy (Damien). Zoom calendar invite accepted
  25. fwibbler (Graham). Zoom info pm'd
  26. nighttracker (David). Zoom calendar invite sent
  27. jzcoder (David). Zoom calendar invite sent
  28. helpful (Bryan). Zoom calendar invite sent
  29. spanners (David). Zoom info emailed
  30. SPhilMainwaring (Phil). Zoom info emailed
  31. Kevin Edwards (Kevin). Zoom info sent via Messenger
  32. Orlando (Nick). [Twitter] Zoom info DM'd via Twitter
Attachments
vABugAgenda_DevNight_02_September10th2020_PNG_v100_Live.png
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
dudleysoft71

Re: Weeknight 'Virtual' Dev session #2, Thursday 10th September 2020, 7pm - 10pm

Post by dudleysoft71 »

Hi, not got anything to show this time, but I'd like to attend again, enjoyed the last one.
James Watson - DudleySoft

BBC Model B 32K - PiTubeDirect, Pi1Mhz, Smally Mouse, Gotek, DFS/ADFS, 4xSWRAM.
tricky

Re: Weeknight 'Virtual' Dev session #2, Thursday 10th September 2020, 7pm - 10pm

Post by tricky »

I'll be there and can show a couple of my interrupt routines if people aren't bored of them by then.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

If there's room for a part-timer, I'll be able to join after my book group - maybe at half eight or nine. But I'll willingly give up my place to anyone with a bit more commitment!
Snuggsy187

Post by Snuggsy187 »

Yes please ! (If I can tear myself away from destroying Elite space stations !) :D

Looking forward to Kieran's Masterclass part 2, and any other run throughs (Interrupt demos are fine with me Tricky !)

May have a vague Pooyan update..........
DROP PARCHMENT > POKE LOCK > PULL PARCHMENT > CURSE > BARGE DOOR > GO DOOR
Twitter: @snuggsy187
markdryan

Post by markdryan »

I'd like to join as well, from 8pm onwards. I can give a brief update on Subtilis, my perpetually unfinished BASIC compiler.
Dave Footitt

Post by Dave Footitt »

Yes pop me down too please, enjoyed the last un
SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns »

I'll happily attend. I'm not currently working on anything in particular, but will happily observe.

It might be the only chance I have to attend as the choir I belong to are restarting the following Thursday.
Just remember kids, Beeb spelled backwards is Beeb!
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

I'll be there. Looking forward to more in depth interrupt trickery. I would like to give a brief update on what I'm working on at the moment (yeah, yeah, new project): a very first working prototype of a platformer on the Elk.
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro
oss003

Post by oss003 »

Me too please ....

I have a question about DIS6502, a disassembler for the Atari with some nice options. There is a BBC port and it would be nice to also have the graphic viewing options available. The source is published ....

Also want to show a little progress in Atomic Hobgoblin.

Greetings
Kees
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Thanks everyone who's signed up so far, looks like we'll have another good turnout again.

List updated up to here and I've sent out the calendar invites containing the Zoom login info.

Please accept the invite when you receive it - as that way I know that you've received the logins. Note that accepting the invite /may/ transfer the email from your inbox and into your calendar, hence on Thursday evening you may need to check your calendar for the login details.

There's no limit on places so even if you can't code/design/compose for toffee (like me!) but have an appreciation for the output from geniuses such as Tricky, Sarah, Kieran, Kees, 0xC0DE et al, do come along if you can; it's always nice if those giving project updates have a wider audience to present to! :D There'll also be at least one, possibly two brand new work-in-progress game reveals ... ! :shock:
dominicbeesley

Post by dominicbeesley »

Thanks for the invite Dave, but I'm afraid I can't make tomorrow night.

D
tricky

Post by tricky »

I also have a "new game"/Emulator/Source-code-port-without-the-source thingy to demonstrate, but it can easily be fitted into my interrupt example (interrupts without an interrupt handler), which is from it anyway!
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

tricky wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:26 pm I also have a "new game"/Emulator/Source-code-port-without-the-source thingy to demonstrate, but it can easily be fitted into my interrupt example (interrupts without an interrupt handler), which is from it anyway!
* Excite *

Also, chrisn and JIM added to list and Zoom info emailed via Calendar invite (so we should have BOTH James Watsons online who write games for the Beeb ... could get confusing, heh).
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

I've updated the schedule as follows as there were a couple of additional items and also Kieran's prepared presentation may need 45 mins - 1hr including questions. Basically all presenters have 15 mins each (which we'll really need to stick to) with the exception of the masterclass slot which is now 1hr.

19.00 - 19.15 General chat
19.15 - 19.30 [Zarchos] Update: Arc SOTB demo. New vertical scrolling shooter for the Arc.
19.30 - 19.45 [JIM] Help needed: scrolling. Update: Pacton.
19.45 - 20.00 [oss003] Help needed: DIS 6502. Update: Hobgoblin for the Atom.
20.00 - 21.00 [kieranhj] Presenting: Masterclass - Interrupts Part 2 [RECORDED]
21.00 - 21.15 [tricky] Demonstrating: Example interrupt routines. REVEAL: New arcade emulator for BBC.
21.15 - 21.30 [0xC0DE] REVEAL: New Electron Platformer.
21.30 - 21.45 [Snuggsy187] Update: Pooyan
21.45 - 22.00 [markdryan] Update: Subtilis
22.00 - 22.15 <overspill>

I will be able to send Zoom invite out right up until 6.30pm on Thursday so if you'd like to add your name to the list feel free to request a place by posting in this thread.
Snuggsy187

Post by Snuggsy187 »

Thanks Dave, looking forward to it..... as long as my laptop behaves. It blew up twice on Saturday :evil:
All fixed now, I think.

BTW, excellent day, thanks as always to yourself and the other hosts.

More progress on Pooyan, so have something to show tomorrow ! :D
DROP PARCHMENT > POKE LOCK > PULL PARCHMENT > CURSE > BARGE DOOR > GO DOOR
Twitter: @snuggsy187
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Hi, I would like to listen in and watch.

Mark
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

1024MAK wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:25 am Hi, I would like to listen in and watch.
Great. Invite sent, please accept it so I know you've received the Zoom logins. Ta.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

I've created an agenda slide which we'll use this evening to help keep things on track (I'm also using it to create awareness of the session on Facebook, Twitter etc - so hopefully we'll see 1-2 new faces tonight).

IanS

Post by IanS »

Can you add me to the list, I can join later on. I'd be interested to see the update to Subtilis from Mark.
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

If some of us share this on social media I'm pretty sure we'll see some new faces indeed! I will retweet
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

IanS wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:14 am Can you add me to the list, I can join later on. I'd be interested to see the update to Subtilis from Mark.
Done and Zoom logins sent via PM.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

0xC0DE wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:20 am If some of us share this on social media I'm pretty sure we'll see some new faces indeed! I will retweet
I'm just updating the slide for Twitter now - except to see a tweet (with you 'tagged') in the next few minutes!
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

I'll try to join tonight too, am curious about the Tricky reveal.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Pernod wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:43 am I'll try to join tonight too, am curious about the Tricky reveal.
It's /very/ cool - trust me! Anyway, Zoom info sent via Google calendar invite.
nighttracker

Post by nighttracker »

I would like to attend if you can send an invite.
jzcoder

Post by jzcoder »

I would like to attend if possible. Thank you.
helpful

Post by helpful »

I'd like to drop in, probably won't make the start but hopefully be there in time for Kieran's interruptions :-)
RISC OS User Group Of London - https://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - https://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

Return to “past weeknight 'developer' sessions”