SubForum - Networking

feedback, comments and suggestions pertaining to the stardot forum

SubForum - Networking

Post by 8271 »

Just a thought; Would it be a potential idea to have a forum dedicated to networking (Econet/ AUN / Access / TCPIP etc) for us netnerds?
Serial computer hoarder & econetophile
4 x BBC-B, 2 x Master128, Master Viglen, Master Domesday, Master Compact, A310, A440/1, A4, 2 x A5000, A7000, RPC_SA233 & RPC_SA200 (L4 Server), RiscOS_Pi, Econet & Ethernet
RobC

Re: SubForum - Networking

Post by RobC »

I'm not likely to contribute much but I think it's a very good idea.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

8271 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:48 pm Just a thought; Would it be a potential idea to have a forum dedicated to networking (Econet/ AUN / Access / TCPIP etc) for us netnerds?
Would that only be for wired netnerds that NEED their morning coffee... :lol:

<I’ll get me coat...>

Mark
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Arcadian already turned me down:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2477
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Hmm... that was eleven years ago, when there was only a handful of forums.

Could someone do a quick search through the forums to see how many econet/networking posts there have been, say, this year - just to make sure there are enough topics to warrant creation of another forum.

Also, it would mean all networking topics would be lifted from the 8-bit and 32-bit sections and moved to the new forum, which would have to be located in the 'miscellaneous' section.

Any other opinions? (Whether for, against or indifferent).
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
roland

Post by roland »

I think it might be confusing. For example, my Electron WiFi project: is it 8 bit hardware or networking? There are also other networking projects like a WiFi modem for the Beeb.

On the other hand, Econet involves both 8 and 32 bit computers.

So IMHO a networking subforum is only suitable for platform independent networking topics. Or topic starters could post their topic in "x bit hardware" and write a small referring topic in the networking subforum.
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
danielj

Post by danielj »

I'd concur with Roland on this one - networking crops up in all sorts of places and things might end up even more spread about than they are at the moment.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

I don't mind really leaving things as they are. My original thought of an Econet only sub-forum might have worked once upon a time because there's a lot of 8-bit and 32-bit cross-over, but including other forms of networking might make it unwieldy.

What I don't understand is why the index page is still showing this:

Screenshot_2020-08-30_11-29-02.png
Rich Talbot-Watkins

Post by Rich Talbot-Watkins »

I moved the topic into a more appropriate forum, but left a shadow topic in place so the OP would be able to find it! I guess... quirk of the phpBB code?
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

That’s because the topic was moved from new ideas wishlist & general chat to stardot FORUM, but a shadow topic was left so that users can still be linked to the now moved topic.
1596F673-2F9A-4A41-91C6-63148E00A5B4.jpeg
Hence the different icon on the left.

Maybe you accessed the site while this operation of moving the topic was still in progress...

Mark

Post by 8271 »

What about if you have it solely for econet and that covers both 8, 16* and 32bit ?

*(although I have never seen the PC ISA Econet card except on google)
Serial computer hoarder & econetophile
4 x BBC-B, 2 x Master128, Master Viglen, Master Domesday, Master Compact, A310, A440/1, A4, 2 x A5000, A7000, RPC_SA233 & RPC_SA200 (L4 Server), RiscOS_Pi, Econet & Ethernet
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

I'd suggest 'General' forum, which is for on topic (i.e. Acorn) subjects that don't fit into the other forums. As a general 8-bit/32-bit Econet post wouldn't specifically fall into a /single/ existing forum, I'd say General is fine.
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
Stwert

Post by Stwert »

1024MAK wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:20 pm
8271 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:48 pm Just a thought; Would it be a potential idea to have a forum dedicated to networking (Econet/ AUN / Access / TCPIP etc) for us netnerds?
Would that only be for wired netnerds that NEED their morning coffee... :lol:

<I’ll get me coat...>

Mark
Is there someone who doesn't need a morning coffee?
Ok, I'm biased as I drink over 4L of the glorious beverage a day, but still.
I'll be highly medicated and my humour can be twisted, so when I offend you, its not intentional, honest :lol:
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Stwert wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:40 am Is there someone who doesn't need a morning coffee?
Yes, I don’t much like coffee, so never make it myself or ask for it.

Mark
Stwert

Post by Stwert »

1024MAK wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:00 pm
Stwert wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:40 am Is there someone who doesn't need a morning coffee?
Yes, I don’t much like coffee, so never make it myself or ask for it.

Mark
To be fair, I know a lot of people who don’t much care for it.
I’m just not a fan of fizzy drinks, or tea - unless I have a pack of tea biscuits to dip in it :D

Never started coffee until I was a teenager, getting stoned at my friends, it’s what we would drink. Then when I was a roadie and not sleeping for days, coffee was a nice refresher. So I’ve evolved to like it. Nowadays I’ve moved on from instant to freshly ground beans, some obscenely expensive ones - of which I actually preferred the cheaper ones, go figure.

There’s a lovely little artisan place down south who freshly roast beans for you on the day they post them. So they arrive the next day in the best possible way they could.

And I’m waffling - damn morphine :D
I'll be highly medicated and my humour can be twisted, so when I offend you, its not intentional, honest :lol:
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

I'm a tea man myself, the last time I drank coffee was at an Ambassadors' Reception at the Czech Embassy when I was working in London in 1997/1998. They had this antiquated communist-era coffee machine which rattled about like an old washing machine, so I just had to try it.

The funny thing was...there was no Ambassador (as he'd just resigned and the new one hadn't arrived) and no Ferrero Rocher!

When I was in Turkey more recently (probably 2015) I was told that if the hotel owner liked you he would offer you coffee on the last morning whilst you were waiting for the bus back to the airport, and it would be disrespectful to refuse. I did decline very politely, and stayed there again the following year.

The funny thing was...when I went back 18 months later to the same resort, the hotel had been demolished, swimming pool filled in, and holiday apartments built in its place, and already occupied. It takes longer to get planning permission for that in this country!
Stwert

Post by Stwert »

No Ferraro ferrerro farero furryero wee choccies? That’s outrageous!!!

It is incredible how other countries can rattle through the entire design, plan, build and sell process, in the same time it takes our local authorities to spell-check your planning permit. It’s a house, in the middle of sodding nowhere, I doubt that the cows in the adjacent field will complain that a summerhouse is blocking their sun #-o

The thing with myself and coffee, I don’t get any kind of caffeine related effects, been drinking it for too many years, in vast quantities for that anymore. It’s all about the flavour now. I suppose it would be how some people would treat wine, or craft beers, or whatever (I don’t drink alcohol..... anymore). It’s amazing just how different even the same variety of bean, roasted in a slightly different style, can taste so different.

And once you get into roasting your own beans, and making your own blends, well, that’s just coffee nirvana.....

.... Incidentally, I avoid places such as Costa like the plague now. I have yet to be in one where they even have a vague idea of how to actually make coffee. I’m not even a coffee snob, I’ll happily drink instant coffee, but those places, jeez, never has something so simple bean (deliberate) done so completely and consistently bad.

Return to “stardot FORUM”