All-day 'Virtual' ABug session #7, Sat 5th September 2020, 9am - 11pm. Supporting CCfCH. *ACORN/ACORNSOFT Special*

threads for previous all-day 'virtual' ABug events
Arcadian
Site Admin

Re: All-day 'Virtual' ABug session #7, Sat 5th September 2020, 9am - 11pm. Supporting CCfCH. *ACORN/ACORNSOFT Special* F

Post by Arcadian »

Apologies for that Ian, it didn't dawn on me that it might be an issue, I've removed your details from the Calendar entry and will continue to PM the login details to you instead (if anybody else attending the meeting on the 5th would prefer to continue to receive the Zoom login info via PM rather than calendar invite - please let me know. However one of the other advantages of doing it via calendar invites was that it speeds up the administration process, and the ABug organisation, video editing etc is already taking up a huge chunk of time).

Is anyone aware of another way that Zoom invites could be issued as calendar invitations, without involving a third party such as Google?

Outlook is on one PC I have access to (though I've never used it). Subject to permission from each participant, if I were to set up an event on a local Outlook client - using the Stardot email address (i.e. a non-Google/non-Microsoft address) would that work? Or are Outlook Calendars effectively the same as Google Calendars i.e. an invitee's address may pass through the Microsoft servers?

I guess an alternative would be to try and setup a calendar system on a Web page that allows participants to add themselves to an event and in turn save/generate an ical entry in their calendars. Any pointers towards such a system? The ABug website uses WordPress so I could see what calendar plugins are available.
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
IanS

Re: All-day 'Virtual' ABug session #7, Sat 5th September 2020, 9am - 11pm. Supporting CCfCH. *ACORN/ACORNSOFT Special* F

Post by IanS »

Arcadian wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:08 pm Apologies for that Ian, it didn't dawn on me that it might be an issue, I've removed your details from the Calendar entry and will continue to PM the login details to you instead (if anybody else attending the meeting on the 5th would prefer to continue to receive the Zoom login info via PM rather than calendar invite - please let me know. However one of the other advantages of doing it via calendar invites was that it speeds up the administration process, and the ABug organisation, video editing etc is already taking up a huge chunk of time).
Your own GDPR statement says you need explicit consent before handing user data over to a third-party. Have you now got that permission from everyone else?
cjpinder

Post by cjpinder »

Arcadian wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:27 am We've been asked whether it was possible to issue meeting invites as calendar invitations, to enable users to add events to their calendars.

Edit - Apologies for any oversights, I'm contacting all participants to check whether they are happy to receive future Zoom login info in the form of email calendar invites sent from the 'ABug Events' Google account. If any users object then the calendar invite for the 5th Sept event will be deleted and Zoom logins will be provided to that user via forum PM instead.
I haven't posted enough to reply to your PM so I hope replying here is okay. I'm fine with you using the Google calendar for invites to me. I use Gmail and have a Google phone, they already have all my personal data. :D

Thanks,
Christian.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Full schedule now added to the top post, as follows:

09.15 - 09.45 The A-Team (Acorn Computer surgery)
09:45 - 10.15 Wifi on the Acorn Electron (Roland Leurs)
10.15 - 10.30 Introduction to the Acorn/Acornsoft Special

10.30 - 11:45 Brian Cockburn - How did an Australian come to be working at Acorn and WHY was he left in charge of Econet?

11:45 - 12:00 Open chat
12:00 - 13:00 Lunch break

13:00 - 14:15 Hugo Tyson - My Time at Acorn: From Market Hill to the Silver Building (via DFS, ADFS and the ARM)

14:15 - 14:30 Open chat
14:30 - 14:45 The Centre for Computing History's Video Game Preservation Initiative - Sponsored by Frontier
14:45 - 15:00 Open chat

15:00 - 16:15 Acornsoft Reunion: Paul Fellows, Stuart Swales, Tim Dobson, Jonathan Griffiths

16:15 - 16:30 Open chat
16:30 - 16:45 The Centre for Computing History's Acornsoft Collection
16:45 - 17:00 Open chat

17:00 - 18:15 Jon Thackray - Everything you wanted to know about the BBC Micro O.S. but never dared to ask!

18:15 - 18:30 Open chat
18:30 - 19:30 Tea break

19:30 - 21:15 Chris Turner - Acorn & The BBC Micro: Chris Turner's Mémoire

21:15 - 21:30 Short break

21:30 - 22:15 Mel Pullen - The BBC Micro & Acorn: A contractor's perspective
22:15 - 23:00 Mel Pullen - Viewdata, Softmachinery and The Gnome @ Home

(Special guest talks marked in bold)
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

As I am not going to be able to make this now, please can you take my name down and make my space available to someone else.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Ok that's done - one place available!
Snuggsy187

Post by Snuggsy187 »

Cor..... The Gnome at Home, I remember that ! :D

That's goigng to be ignterestigng (alogng with everything else, as gnormal !)
DROP PARCHMENT > POKE LOCK > PULL PARCHMENT > CURSE > BARGE DOOR > GO DOOR
Twitter: @snuggsy187
hyperfan

Re: All-day 'Virtual' ABug session #7, Sat 5th September 2020, 9am - 11pm. Supporting CCfCH. *ACORN/ACORNSOFT Special*

Post by hyperfan »

Hi

Can i take this place please if still available?

Morning, Afternoon
1024MAK

Re: All-day 'Virtual' ABug session #7, Saturday 5th September 2020, 9am - 11pm. Supporting CCfCH. *ACORN/ACORNSOFT Speci

Post by 1024MAK »

1024MAK wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:59 pm Can you please add me for the afternoon session only. I can only join for a couple of hours between around 3pm and around 5.30pm.
I will now be (intermittently) joining from early afternoon through to late evening.

Mark
daveejhitchins

Re: All-day 'Virtual' ABug session #7, Sat 5th September 2020, 9am - 11pm. Supporting CCfCH. *ACORN/ACORNSOFT Special*

Post by daveejhitchins »

I've not received a Zoom link, as yet?

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

(Caught me out too: it's part of the calendared event)
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

DaveH: judgebeeb is on it, you'll have the details via PM soon
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

daveejhitchins wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:04 am I've not received a Zoom link, as yet?

Dave H.
PM sent
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:10 am
daveejhitchins wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:04 am I've not received a Zoom link, as yet?

Dave H.
PM sent
To everybody or just Dave? I've not had a link yet.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Just to point out, all zoom login information (bar the last sign up) was issued via email on 23 August.

If you accepted the invite, the meeting invite (and Zoom login info) will have transferred from your inbox into your calendar.

If you didn't accept the invite, the email will still be in your email inbox (check emails sent 23 August).

If anyone can't find the login info that has signed up, please post in this thread (don't PM) and me or another mod will PM you the login info. (Sarah I'll PM you now).

In future, I'll send out the Zoom info both via Calendar invite email as well as forum PM (the old method) as a precaution.
billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 »

I thought I'd accepted the invite, although can't find anything now :D
roland

Post by roland »

Thank you all for your attention and for organizing this session again. It was a pleasure to attend and listen to all those Acorn(soft) people. There was a lot of (to me) unknown Acorn history.

=D>
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
davidb

Post by davidb »

Arcadian wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:19 pm First video edited and online :)

WiFi on the Acorn Electron - Roland Leurs.
Thanks for uploading it. I will enjoy it at my leisure. :)
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Thanks Roland for presentation - and also for all the work you've put into the Wifi project itself - I couldn't believe it at the end when I saw Daredevil Dennis loading over the airwaves!

Thanks also for your comments about the event - if anybody else has any thoughts or comments about the talks they'd like me to pass on to the presenters (whether individual presentations or collectively as a whole) please jot them down in this thread and I'll forward them along ...

DavidB: thx! :)
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Chris Turner's talk has now been uploaded to the Centre for Computing History's Youtube channel: Acorn and the BBC Micro: Chris Turner's Mémoire

The remaining talks from the 5th September event should be uploaded to the ABug site this week.
jregel

Post by jregel »

Another really interesting video. Thanks to everyone involved for sharing.
BBC Master Turbo, Retroclinic External Datacentre, VideoNuLA, PiTubeDirect with Pi Zero, Gotek USB Floppy Emulator
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Fantastic! Many thanks, Dave!
davidb

Post by davidb »

Excellent! Thanks to Dave, the moderators and the presenters themselves for sharing these presentations online. :D

It's interesting to get all the different perspectives around Acorn and other companies of that time.

Return to “past all-day virtual ABugs”