Mountain Panic NuLA Edition

sbadger

Mountain Panic NuLA Edition

Post by sbadger »

Hi,

It's about time to release to the wild a little mod I've been working on.

I started back in 2018 when Dave Footitt released his source code to Mountain Panic on github https://github.com/dave-f/panic.

I'd had fun converting Galaforce to the NuLA (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13762) and fancied something else.

I redrew the sprites and did the palette switching work and it started to look quite nice, though I faced memory constraint problems (as did Dave originally) trying to fit the elaborated sprites all in. The game essentially worked but there was graphic corruption when decompressing and swapping between tilesets as you delved deeper into the mountain. My 6502 was really not well versed enough to dig me out. I'd asked for help a couple of times here and there but never got anywhere and it ended up shelved.

Roll on to the virtual ABUG on the 6th of June 2020. 0xC0DE did a session on his conversion of Mountain Panic for the Electron (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQpus_5GERw). When he described how he'd found that not using any compression and loading in tilesets directly was in fact slightly smaller :idea: it was game on again!. 0xC0DE kindly shared his optimisations with me and my project was unblocked!

It was still a fair squeeze getting the palette adjustments included in the loader (and the fancy fade!), the story text seems to really push the poor Beeb's BASIC Interpreter, to the point of removing spaces and shortening variable names to avoid a dreaded 'No Room' message.

I've tested on emulation B2 and B-em as both have NuLA support, Models BBC B (Page&1900) and Master 128 (&E00) with standard DFS. Also tested on a real Master with a DFS/Gotek (Gotek's are great BTW!)

It's a shame Acorn didn't make the Master with an upgraded ULA BITD... a real shame.... :roll:

Naturally thanks to Dave F (and his blessing) and the original team for writing the game and releasing code.
Special thanks to 0xC0DE (Kelvin) and his optimisation work, it wouldn't exist without that and him graciously sharing his work. Also thanks to Tom Seddon for his sneaky Video NuLA detection routine (and the recent NuLA support in B2). Dave M for my original copy of Mountain Panic in the first place!

A couple of pics from my CRT
MP1.jpg
MP2.JPG
Attachments
Mountain Panic NuLA v1.0.ssd
(88.5 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
So many projects, so little time...
tricky

Re: Mountain Panic NuLA Edition

Post by tricky »

Looks great, I'll definitely have that on display next show I do (probably next year at the earliest).
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

Excellent work and wonderful that you were finally able to finish this to your liking! =D>
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro
RobC

Post by RobC »

Wow - this looks amazing =D> =D>

I always thought Mountain Panic was the best-looking Beeb game I'd ever seen but this is even better!

As you say, if only Acorn had extended the palette on the Master...
Yrrah2

Post by Yrrah2 »

This looks really nice!!
Well done! =D>
Happy with my BBC Master
www.mybbcmaster.nl
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

This does look rather awesome!
Adventure Language on GitHub
Atom, issue 5, YARRB + video noise killer
Elk
A number of econetted (is that a word?) Beebs
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA
Dave Footitt

Post by Dave Footitt »

Looks really nice, top job that man!

Yes I had a lot of memory issues and the game ended up being a lot smaller than I originally intended. Ho hum!

This is crying out for a blog post / presentation about how you did it - some details on the NULA itself would be great as well because if I ever do another game I think it'd be great to support the NULA and it would be nice to understand what colours it offers / how you program them / how you detect it etc etc

=D>
Stwert

Post by Stwert »

This looks really great, well done. I absolutely love this game, so this is going to give me another excuse to play it again.....

..... as if I needed an excuse :lol:

..... That’s what I get for posting when I haven’t slept in two days, I forgot to add, when my coffers refill and I can put my name down for a VideoNuLA.
I'll be highly medicated and my humour can be twisted, so when I offend you, its not intentional, honest :lol:

Return to “new bbc and electron games from 'retro software'”