MMBExplorer released!

discuss pc<>acorn file transfer issues and the use of other utils
Becky

Re: MMBExplorer released!

Post by Becky »

robcfg wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:44 pm You’re welcome!

I’m glad you managed to get it working.

Don’t hesitate to ask if you have any other problem with it or if you find a bug.

Cheers,
Rob
Thanks Rob. I appreciate your help.
BBC Model B
"From little Acorns...."
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Hello everyone!

I've just made a new release that fixes a couple of bugs reported by Lurkio.

You can find it here: https://github.com/robcfg/retrotools/re ... tag/v1.2.2

I don't have any Windows machine at hand right now, so I cannot create a Windows executable file until mid-January. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Cheers,
Rob
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

robcfg wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:22 pm
I've just made a new release that fixes a couple of bugs reported by Lurkio.
I think you might have misunderstood one of my bug reports! I have already updated the Issue on Github.

:idea:
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Actually yes and no :mrgreen:

Yes, I misunderstood your report, but the same error also happens when trying to insert several disk images from the file browser.

Soooo, I'll fix the issue you reported today.

Thanks for reporting it!
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

I think I finally nailed the fix for the issues Lurkio reported, so here's a new release: https://github.com/robcfg/retrotools/re ... tag/v1.2.3

Best regards,
Rob
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Another small release!

This time I fixed the deletion of selected files from a disk image.

The new release is available here: https://github.com/robcfg/retrotools/re ... tag/v1.2.4

Thanks to lurkio for reporting it!
shifters74

Post by shifters74 »

Hi,

I am trying to build this on Ubuntu 20.04 following the instructions on the git page. I have installed FLTK 1.3 and 1.3 Dev (1.34) fine from default Ubuntu repo.

When i run make in the build folders i am getting lots of build errors (some of which below!) - any ideas what I am doing wrong?

[ 0%] Built target getscmversion
Scanning dependencies of target MMBExplorer
[ 14%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/MMBExplorer.dir/src/MMBExplorer.cpp.o
[ 28%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/MMBExplorer.dir/src/MMBFile.cpp.o
[ 42%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/MMBExplorer.dir/src/MMBE_Commands.cpp.o
[ 57%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/MMBExplorer.dir/src/MMBE_Gui.cpp.o
[ 71%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/MMBExplorer.dir/src/MMBE_Callbacks.cpp.o
In file included from /home/twri/Downloads/6.BBC/MMB/retrotools/mmbexplorer/src/MMBE_Callbacks.cpp:4:
/home/twri/Downloads/6.BBC/MMB/retrotools/mmbexplorer/src/MMBE_Callbacks.h:35:29: error: ‘bool ChooseFilename’ redeclared as different kind of entity
35 | bool ChooseFilename( std::vector<std::string>& fileNames, const std::string& filter, const std::string& preset, bool bSaveAsDialog, bool bDirectory = false );
| ^~~~~~
In file included from /home/twri/Downloads/6.BBC/MMB/retrotools/mmbexplorer/src/MMBE_Callbacks.cpp:4:
/home/twri/Downloads/6.BBC/MMB/retrotools/mmbexplorer/src/MMBE_Callbacks.h:34:8: note: previous declaration ‘bool ChooseFilename(std::string&, const string&, const string&, bool, bool)’
34 | bool ChooseFilename( std::string& fileName, const std::string& filter, const std::string& preset, bool bSaveAsDialog, bool bDirectory = false );
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/twri/Downloads/6.BBC/MMB/retrotools/mmbexplorer/src/MMBE_Callbacks.cpp:24:6: note: candidate expects 5 arguments, 4 provided

<-- snip -->

make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/MMBExplorer.dir/build.make:115: CMakeFiles/MMBExplorer.dir/src/MMBE_Callbacks.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:105: CMakeFiles/MMBExplorer.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:84: all] Error 2

cheers

shifters
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Hi,

I just fixed a couple of missing includes and it's now working for me on Mint 20.

Please update your repository and try to compile it now.
shifters74

Post by shifters74 »

Thanks!

It now builds and runs great on ubuntu 20.04

Many thanks for building this tool (especially cross platform!)

cheers

shifters
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

You're welcome!

Compilers can be tricky, that's also a good point for cross platform code. If you manage to get it working on different systems, it will most probably work everywhere :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Rob
Becky

Post by Becky »

Hi Rob,

I had the same trouble as Shifters74 on a new (to me) laptop. I was sure that it was something I was doing wrong and didn't therefore didn't want to ask for help. With your changes it works fine for me now.

For your info, I'm using Linux Mint 20.1

Cheers.
BBC Model B
"From little Acorns...."
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Hi Becky,

The fixes to the bugs were done while I was on holiday, so I couldn't test them properly but on MacOS, and it seems Linux compilers do treat include files in slightly different manners, hence the compilation errors.

Please, don't hesitate to ask if you have any problem with my software, I'll be glad to help!

Cheers,
Rob
Becky

Post by Becky »

robcfg wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:30 am
Please, don't hesitate to ask if you have any problem with my software, I'll be glad to help!
Thanks Rob. I do like to RTFM / have a good go before asking for help. :)

Cheers.
BBC Model B
"From little Acorns...."
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Hello, fine people!

I've made a new release, adding a column with the CRC32 of the files in a disk image to the disk contents view.

Also, as I'm now back and have access to my Windows machine, you'll find the precompiled Windows exe file.

Grab it here: https://github.com/robcfg/retrotools/re ... tag/v1.2.5

Cheers,
Rob
Becky

Post by Becky »

robcfg wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:47 pm
Also, as I'm now back and have access to my Windows machine, you'll find the precompiled Windows exe file.
I've got Windows on my Laptop at the moment, had to install it for an online exam. It was nice just having to unzip a zip file. :)

Cheers.
BBC Model B
"From little Acorns...."
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Becky wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:22 pm
robcfg wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:47 pm
I've got Windows on my Laptop at the moment, had to install it for an online exam. It was nice just having to unzip a zip file. :)

Cheers.
Thank you for your kind words, Becky!

I try to make and distribute my programs as I'd like to get them, so why complicate our lives when it can be as simple as unzipping a file?

Cheers,
Rob
dsdf323

Can't insert discs using 1.2.5

Post by dsdf323 »

Hi Rob!

I'm having some problems trying to insert discs into an MMB file with vers. 1.2.5.

I'm using Retroclinic Mark's SmartSPI.

I initially tried inserting the discs into his BEEB.MMB file - I can list them with *DDISKS on the Beeb but inserting them shows empty volumes. I put all three discs towards the end, discs 500, 501, 502. Inserting discs 500 or 501 showed they were empty, but disc 502 corrupted everything.

I then tried creating a new MMB file in MMBExplorer - on the Beeb, I switch to BEEB1.MMB with *BEEB 1 but it tells me there are no discs, even though they show up in MMBExplorer.

I'm trying to test an EPROM programmer using the disc software and the Beeb has an 8271.

Thanks!
Attachments
2021-03-07 15.34.18.jpg
BEEB1.MMB.zip
(123.13 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 3.26.26 pm.png
Brett.
geraldholdsworth

Post by geraldholdsworth »

Do the actual SSDs work in an emulator?

Looking at your MMB through a hex dump and the structure looks OK, but not sure about the first SSD.

EDIT: Just tried myself - they both appear to work OK. I'd make sure that a known working MMB works in your setup.
Gerald Holdsworth, CTS-D
Extron Authorised Programmer
https://www.geraldholdsworth.co.uk
https://www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk
Twitter @radiogezza
dsdf323

Post by dsdf323 »

geraldholdsworth wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:02 am Do the actual SSDs work in an emulator?

Looking at your MMB through a hex dump and the structure looks OK, but not sure about the first SSD.

EDIT: Just tried myself - they both appear to work OK. I'd make sure that a known working MMB works in your setup.
Hey, thanks for testing it Gerald!

I originally tried by inserting the discs to Retroclinic Mark's BEEB.MMB file he supplies with his board (also available as download from his site). That had the same effect - the discs were empty and the third was corrupted (didn't add the third in the BEEB1.MMB I uploaded).

Will try again - I'm also using the SmartSPI ROM that Mark supplied - has there been any updates to the ROM (it's been a while since I got them).
Brett.
geraldholdsworth

Post by geraldholdsworth »

Have you tried this?
Gerald Holdsworth, CTS-D
Extron Authorised Programmer
https://www.geraldholdsworth.co.uk
https://www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk
Twitter @radiogezza
dsdf323

Can't insert discs using 1.2.5

Post by dsdf323 »

Interesting, will give it a go.

I just tried again, inserting the discs to Mark's MMB file again, and on a different Beeb (no FDC) ... and it's working fine!

So, strange!

And then I blew the fuse on the Eprommer 2 that I'm testing ... doh
Brett.
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

I’ll try Mark’s MMB on my ElkSd64 and see if it works.

Then, I’ll check that MMBExplorer insert files correctly into it.

Regarding using a different Beeb, could it be that you have conflicting FDS versions or that your PSU is on the edge and running out of juice for running with several expansions at once?
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

Just wanted to say that MMBExplorer has been very useful to me lately. I've only been using the basic core functionality -- adding/removing .SSDs to/from a .MMB -- but it works very well. (I don't even think I'd been using the latest version. But I just upgraded.) I shall continue using it. Thank you for making it!

=D> =D> =D>

EDIT: Btw, on macOS I can create a very simple wrapper app in Automator. It just invokes a short shell script that navigates to the directory where MMBExplorer is installed and runs it:

Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 12.41.40.png

It's handy to have a normal app icon that you can double-click to launch MMBExplorer, like any other app.

Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 12.46.28.png
robcfg

Re: Can't insert discs using 1.2.5

Post by robcfg »

dsdf323 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:30 am Hi Rob!

I'm having some problems trying to insert discs into an MMB file with vers. 1.2.5.

I'm using Retroclinic Mark's SmartSPI.

I initially tried inserting the discs into his BEEB.MMB file - I can list them with *DDISKS on the Beeb but inserting them shows empty volumes. I put all three discs towards the end, discs 500, 501, 502. Inserting discs 500 or 501 showed they were empty, but disc 502 corrupted everything.

I then tried creating a new MMB file in MMBExplorer - on the Beeb, I switch to BEEB1.MMB with *BEEB 1 but it tells me there are no discs, even though they show up in MMBExplorer.

I'm trying to test an EPROM programmer using the disc software and the Beeb has an 8271.

Thanks!
I've been conducting some tests on my ElkSDPlus1, and I have arrived at the following conclusions:

* MMBExplorer works as it should, I've compared the output with that of mmb_utils, and they are identical.
* I've noticed that sometimes the ElkSDPlus1 reports wrong disc number when using *DCAT, but if I do it a second time, it will work 100%.
* The only stable configuration is to create a full 511 images MMB file. That seems to work flawlessly.

Try creating a full size MMB file and share the results here.
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

lurkio wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:40 pm Just wanted to say that MMBExplorer has been very useful to me lately. I've only been using the basic core functionality -- adding/removing .SSDs to/from a .MMB -- but it works very well. (I don't even think I'd been using the latest version. But I just upgraded.) I shall continue using it. Thank you for making it!

=D> =D> =D>

EDIT: Btw, on macOS I can create a very simple wrapper app in Automator. It just invokes a short shell script that navigates to the directory where MMBExplorer is installed and runs it:

Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 12.41.40.png

It's handy to have a normal app icon that you can double-click to launch MMBExplorer, like any other app.

Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 12.46.28.png
Thank you for your kind words!

Definitely, being able to use it via command line and with a comfortable UI is quite nice.

Cheers,
Rob
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Hello everyone!

I found some time to tackle the issue of load and exec addresses' format and dropped in the ability to copy the selected files' CRC to the clipboard.

Here's the new release: https://github.com/robcfg/retrotools/re ... tag/v1.2.7

Cheers,
Rob
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

robcfg wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:44 am I found some time to tackle the issue of load and exec addresses' format
I must have worn you down..!? :wink:

Excellent update. Thank you.

=D> =D> =D>
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

You’re welcome!

And I really appreciate your suggestions, please keep them coming.

Cheers,
Rob
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

robcfg wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:57 pm And I really appreciate your suggestions, please keep them coming.
Not so much a suggestion, I admit, but, well, you asked for it (kind of!) :wink: ...

A couple of times now, I've been using MMBExplorer to add a disc-image to a BEEB.MMB container that already contains about twenty or twenty-five disc-images, and it has suddenly screwed up the whole container!:

After I add the new .SSD, everything looks fine in MMBExplorer but when I take the SD card and *DCAT it on my real Beeb, some of the disc-images are missing! The problem seems to be fixed by a *DRECAT with MMFS, but when I bring the card back to my laptop and open the BEEB.MMB file in MMBExplorer again, the first dozen (or more) of the disc-image entries are just blank, and the first numbered and populated entry will be 17 or something!

If I then close the BEEB.MMB file in MMBExplorer and reopen it in MMBImager, the disc-image titles look all out of alignment, the icons overlap, some disc-images appear to be missing — just total chaos! If I then put the card back in the real Beeb, some disc-images will be missing again...

These problems don't seem to occur if I avoid MMBExplorer altogether and only use MMBImager throughout.

:?:
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Serves me well for asking... :mrgreen:

The only thing I can think of is that I'm not closing the file after some operations, so that when you take the SD card off the computer, the data isn't saved to the card and the file becomes corrupted.

Can you provide me with some more details, like which platform are you running it on and how do you take off the SD card?

Edit: Can you try to reproduce the same steps, but closing MMBExplorer before taking out the SD card from the computer?

Return to “software & utilities for the pc, mac or unix”