Tanks / projectiles type game

suggest games that you’ve always wanted to see on acorn platforms
Adam James

Tanks / projectiles type game

Post by Adam James »

I mean the type of game where e.g. there is a hill in the middle of the screen and a tank either side, and you have to type a number for the power and angle of a shot to try to hit the other player.

Are there any good games of that sort for the BBC, especially where you can play against the computer?

I've found one called "Tanks!" but there is no option for a computer opponent.
Adam James

Re: Tanks / projectiles type game

Post by Adam James »

I just tried Barrage and loved the simple style of the graphics, just what I was looking for, but there was no computer player option. Then I realised from your 'other options' link that there are two games called Barrage - I'll have to hunt down the other.

Great search skills - so all those games are classed as similar to 'worms'?

Currently I'm stuck with a TurboMMC so I'll go through all the games on that and see which I have.

leenew

Post by leenew »

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey »

There was a type-in from Beebug (or was it The Micro User?) that sounds a bit like this. Will see if I can find it.
Diminished

Post by Diminished »

richardtoohey wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:33 am There was a type-in from Beebug (or was it The Micro User?) that sounds a bit like this. Will see if I can find it.
It was BEEBUG, titled Artillery Duel, and I'm pretty sure it was in Volume 1, or possibly 2.

I know this because my Dad used it to teach me about angles ...
richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey »

Yep, just found it. Vol 1 Issue 10 March 1983 "It is really a game for two players" says the blurb so that sounds like no computer opponent.
Adam James

Post by Adam James »

Thanks everyone for your efforts finding such a game!

I've now checked out all the 'other options' linked to by 'helpful' and none of them have a computer opponent as such.

However, two of them are designed for one player: 'Target Practice' and 'Convoy'.

'Convoy' is unusual in that the view is top-down so you don't really see projectile motion as such.
richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey »

Time to get coding, then! 8)

Just pulling your leg, I've never produced much useful in BBC BASIC or 6502 ... I tinker here, tinker there and then go and find something less mentally-taxing! :-$
Adam James

Post by Adam James »

richardtoohey wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:38 am Time to get coding, then! 8)

Just pulling your leg, I've never produced much useful in BBC BASIC or 6502 ... I tinker here, tinker there and then go and find something less mentally-taxing! :-$
Funny you should say that, I am very much inclined to have a go:) Have been having ideas, plus reading through a BBC Basic online manual. That sort of game lends itself well to Basic I think, you don't exactly need the speed of machine code.

I'm torn between that and a text adventure for my first effort, though. I've also been having ideas about that.
richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey »

Definitely a good one for BASIC, I think, and the Beebug one you can get the code for so you could start with that code and tinker to see how it works. The Beebug discs/tapes will be somewhere on the internet to download - you won't have to type the listing in (unless you like the nostalgia!)
leenew

Post by leenew »

The Beebug "Artillery Duel" was in the bunch of games linked to above...

Lee.

Return to “new ideas wishlist & general chat”