Personal Computer World scans!

avoid work duplication! collaborate on the archival of acorn literature!
leenew

Re: Personal Computer World scans!

Post by leenew »

It would indeed be great to fill in the holes!
Do we have anyone who could scan them Ian?

Lee.
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

That is a good resource. Well done everyone. =D> =D>
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
IanB

Post by IanB »

leenew wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:14 pm Do we have anyone who could scan them Ian?
I scanned them a few hours ago and Lurkio has already added them to the collection.
I cut the perfect binding spines off using an A3 guillotine so I could use a sheet fed scanner and it didn't take very long although doing it that way does destroy them.

BTW there is an "archive downloader" extension for Chrome:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... e?hl=en-GB
Last edited by IanB on Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
leenew

Post by leenew »

Wow! Thanks for sacrificing for the greater good! =D>

Lee.
IanB

Post by IanB »

hoglet wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:17 pm It's fab for old electronics magazines, like:
- Electronics Today International
- Everyday Electronics
- Practical Electronics
- Elektor
- Wireless World
- Electronics - The Maplin Magazine

Thanks for those links, I used to get all of those magazines at one time or another in the 80s although it was primarily Everyday Electronics in the 70s when I was a child and I constructed many projects from that one back then, some of which I still have:

Projects.jpg

I managed to find the original construction articles for them:

Machbox radio (Oct 1975):
https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Everyd ... 975-09.pdf

Heads and Tails Game (Dec 1975):
https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Everyd ... 975-12.pdf

Code Scrambler (Jan 1978):
https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Everyd ... 978-01.pdf

Catch-a-Light (Mar 1978):
https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Everyd ... 978-03.pdf
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

IanB wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:20 am Thanks for those links, I used to get all of those magazines at one time or another in the 80s although it was primarily Everyday Electronics in the 70s when I was a child and I constructed many projects from that one back then, some of which I still have:
Fantastic.

I used to get Everyday Electronics and Electronics Today International regularly as well.

Dave
leenew

Post by leenew »

Thanks for all the hard work getting these up! well done to all =D>

Right, with the praise out of the way :wink: , I need to highlight a couple of problems...
I was just cross-referencing some issues to check the information I have on bbcmicro.co.uk is correct, and I have found some issues with missing pages where there should be BBC Micro programs.

January 1984 is missing the listing for Omniopoly. The missing pages are 269 to 276.
May 1984 is missing pages 273 to 279.
I will report any more if and when I find them.

So, firstly, does anyone have these missing pages?
Secondly, how on earth do you go about inserting them into place?

Thirdly, should "Personal Computer World scans! - PROBLEMS" be a new thread?

Before I get back to it.... I note that November 1982 and July 1983 are completely missing. Can anyone help?

Lee.
leenew

Post by leenew »

February 1984 is missing pages 305 to 308 and 323 and 324
leenew

Post by leenew »

May 1983 is missing pages 221 to 224
scruss

Post by scruss »

leenew wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:56 am Secondly, how on earth do you go about inserting them into place?
Only the uploader can do that, by deleting and re-uploading the modified PDF.
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

scruss wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:35 pm
leenew wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:56 am Secondly, how on earth do you go about inserting them into place?
Only the uploader can do that, by deleting and re-uploading the modified PDF.
I'm happy to upload complete versions of any issues that currently have missing pages, as I did when IanB supplied one such PDF (in addition to some PDFs that were missing entirely). Many thanks to him!

:idea:
IanB

Post by IanB »

leenew wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:33 pm February 1984 is missing pages 305 to 308 and 323 and 324
Looks like there was a problem with multiple sheets going through the scanner at once.

I have May 83 & May 84 but not Jan or Feb 84 or. I can do the missing pages on a flat bed scanner but they will need to be edited back into the originals using a PDF editor.
https://www.techradar.com/uk/best/free-pdf-editor

Keep checking for missing pages as I might be able to help with others.

EDIT: Corrected above which issues I have
Last edited by IanB on Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

IanB wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:52 pm
leenew wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:33 pm February 1984 is missing pages 305 to 308 and 323 and 324
I have the above two issues but not Jan or May 1984. I can do the missing pages on a flat bed scanner but they will need to be edited back into the originals using a PDF editor.
That should be fine: I think I can manage that. Thanks for offering to supply the missing pages.

IanB wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:52 pm Keep checking for missing pages as I might be able to help with others.
=D> =D> =D>
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

IanB wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:52 pm I have May 83 & May 84 but not Jan or Feb 84 or. I can do the missing pages on a flat bed scanner but they will need to be edited back into the originals using a PDF editor.
I'm conducting an experiment to see if Archive.org will turn a zip archive of images with sequential filenames into a PDF. The help pages on the website say it will.

So I extracted the .JP2 files from the original incomplete PDF, put them in the same folder as your missing pages, and then renamed all the files numerically, in sequence: 001.jp2, 002.jp2, ... , 222.jp2, 223.jpg, 224.jpg, 225.jpg, 226.jpg, 227.jp2, ..., 350.jp2:
Revaldinho

Post by Revaldinho »

Thank so much for putting these issues up on Archive.org. Brilliant.
January 1984 is missing the listing for Omniopoly. The missing pages are 269 to 276.
I love the old PCW magazines and have a fair collection from the early 80s. There are plenty of holes in it, but I do have the Jan 84 issue so if no-one else has that work in progress then I can scan the missing pages and make a new PDF.
I'm conducting an experiment to see if Archive.org will turn a zip archive of images with sequential filenames into a PDF. The help pages on the website say it will.
On a Mac the Automator tool will do exactly this. Preview can probably do it too just by loading all JPEGs in one go. I don't mind reassembling some other PDFs if you can share the JPEGs somewhere.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

lurkio wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:08 pm see if Archive.org will turn a zip archive of images with sequential filenames into a PDF. The help pages on the website say it will.
You might find you need to name the zip file appropriately: NAME_images.zip
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

BigEd wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:39 pm
lurkio wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:08 pm see if Archive.org will turn a zip archive of images with sequential filenames into a PDF. The help pages on the website say it will.
You might find you need to name the zip file appropriately: NAME_images.zip
Yes, I realised that shortly before you posted!

It works. May 1983 has been uploaded and a PDF has been "derived". Uploading May 1984 now.

lurkio

Post by lurkio »

Revaldinho wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:32 pm
... I do have the Jan 84 issue so if no-one else has that work in progress then I can scan the missing pages and make a new PDF.
Thank you. Please do!

On a Mac the Automator tool will do exactly this. Preview can probably do it too just by loading all JPEGs in one go. I don't mind reassembling some other PDFs if you can share the JPEGs somewhere.
Thanks. I didn't know Automator could do that. I tried opening the incomplete PDF in Preview and dragging the missing pages into the thumbnail window but the results looked a bit weird, with white borders appearing around the previously missing pages. I forgot to try using Preview with the extracted .JP2s (plus the missing .JPGs). Instead, I just decided to let Archive.org do the hard work (of converting all the image files into a PDF).

BigEd

Post by BigEd »

I do remember once when I patched in a missing page it was a different size and that didn't work well - so I rescaled it and repatched it and that was fine.
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

Something's gone wrong with the February 1980 upload:
It won't "derive" a preview. If I try to "Manage" the upload and kick off a "derive" manually, it tells me there's already a derive process running, but, looking at the Manage dashboard, I see that the process seems to be stalled, waiting for admin attention.

I've tried deleting the PDF and reuploading it, but no change.

:!:
iainjh

Post by iainjh »

thank you again for continuing with this lurkio!

I do know on a mac, Preview will allow you to drag and drop pages into an existing PDF. This works for single or multiple page PDF's, and .jpg's. edit: sorry, missed one post above where I think you said the same thing!
scruss

Post by scruss »

lurkio wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:41 pm Something's gone wrong with the February 1980 upload:
Yeah, that can happen. If you've pinged someone at archive.org, they'll get to it eventually. If an item says it's deriving, best to leave it alone until it's clearly finished. That can be a week. Their servers are constantly slammed at the moment because of the Emergency Library thing.

I'm a little surprised that none of the issues have the "PDF with text" option - maybe because the source scans are so very large. It's usually the best option to download and keep, if you're so inclined: the files are a reasonable size, but look good and are searchable. The plain PDF links are unlikely to be searchable.

I'm impressed if you're doing this with graphical tools. That would be so slow for me that it'd do my nut in. My command line toolkit is mostly Poppler (pdfimages to extract page images, pdfunite to join simple PDFs together) and img2pdf to losslessly convert images to PDF. Scan Tailor is the only graphical tool that's unequalled on the command line — it splits, deskews and cleans full page scans. It also does a lot of jobs in parallel, so will absolutely fly through large processing jobs.
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

scruss wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:11 pm
lurkio wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:41 pm Something's gone wrong with the February 1980 upload:
Yeah, that can happen. If you've pinged someone at archive.org, they'll get to it eventually. If an item says it's deriving
No, the item doesn't say it's still deriving. The Manage dashboard for the item says that the process is hung (red), awaiting admin attention.

scruss wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:11 pmI'm impressed if you're doing this with graphical tools.
I'm not. I tried Preview on macOS, but the number of pages was too large and the app was struggling, "beachballing", and unwieldy. In the end I just renamed the individual .JP2 and .JPG files, zipped them up, uploaded the zip, and let Archive.org do the rest. And I only had to do that for two issues (the ones for which the missing pages were found by IanB) -- the rest of the issues (the vast majority) I haven't modified at all: I just uploaded the PDFs as is.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Great work everyone. Out of interest, which is the earliest PCW magazine to feature the BBC Micro ? I plan to download the issues from that one onwards. Incidentally, have you seen the number of pages in these issues ? 350 plus! Must have been quite lucrative in terms of advertising revenue.
Revaldinho

Post by Revaldinho »

lurkio wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:51 am
... I do have the Jan 84 issue so if no-one else has that work in progress then I can scan the missing pages and make a new PDF.
Thank you. Please do!
I've done this now. You can pick up the new PDF from my google drive for uploading

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZbTmoI ... sp=sharing

R
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

Revaldinho wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:00 pm I've done this now. You can pick up the new PDF from my google drive for uploading
Done. Thanks. Uploaded to Archive.org. Deriving...

scruss

Post by scruss »

fuzzel wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:51 pm Out of interest, which is the earliest PCW magazine to feature the BBC Micro ?
That would be December 1981: https://archive.org/details/PersonalCom ... 2/mode/2up

Seriously, though, I'd hang about until they've all finished deriving the "PDF with Text" versions. The initial PDFs are giant and not always searchable.
leenew

Post by leenew »

Hi,
Can anybody help with either the missing pages from the February 1984 issue (pages 305-308 and 323-324) or the complete issues of NOV. 1982 or JULY 1983? [-o<

ALSO, does anyone have a better scan of the "SPACE TRADER" game from the December 1984 issue? the one we have is not readable.

Thanks,

Lee.
EDIT: November 1982 now uploaded.
Missing pages from Feb. 1984 now uploaded.
I believe I can read the new scan of Space Trader so I will be typing it in asap.
Space Trader typed in.
Last edited by leenew on Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
joachim

Post by joachim »

scruss wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:47 am
fuzzel wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:51 pm Out of interest, which is the earliest PCW magazine to feature the BBC Micro ?
That would be December 1981: https://archive.org/details/PersonalCom ... 2/mode/2up

Seriously, though, I'd hang about until they've all finished deriving the "PDF with Text" versions. The initial PDFs are giant and not always searchable.
The picture of a BBC Micro in that article (p101, https://archive.org/details/PersonalCom ... 0/mode/2up) is really interesting. Compared to other early BBC Micros (for example compared to the Issue 2 at Chris' Acorns): the three red LEDs are labelled in capital letters, they are in a different order and the label text is left-justified instead of centre-justified. Also the text next to the owl on the keystrip says "BBC Computer" instead of "BBC Microcomputer" and is differently positioned.

Are there surviving examples of this version of the case, or other photos of it?
sjo03

Post by sjo03 »

Thank you all for these scans - been looking for some of these issues for a long time.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/thol2a59m2rd ... Yr8Fa?dl=0. has Nov 1982, and other scans for Feb 1984 and Dec 1984. The space trader game is a bit better scanned, but not by much :(.

Enjoy, Johan
leenew wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:37 pm Hi,
Can anybody help with either the missing pages from the February 1984 issue (pages 305-308 and 323-324) or the complete issues of NOV. 1982 or JULY 1983? [-o<

ALSO, does anyone have a better scan of the "SPACE TRADER" game from the December 1984 issue? the one we have is not readable.

Thanks,

Lee.

Return to “scanning of books, magazines, ads and letters”