Watford Electronics Eureka 64K

contribute new/updated software missing from online archives
Pernod

Watford Electronics Eureka 64K

Post by Pernod »

Thanks to CfCH and dumped at the virtual ABUG.
product-84941.jpg
http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/ ... ureka-64K/
Eureka.png
Attachments
Eureka64K.zip
(4.98 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
B3_B3_B3

Re: Watford Electronics Eureka 64K

Post by B3_B3_B3 »

I never noticed tbis back in the day (or even up until today when looking in a AcornUser Nov 86):

Was it too late to be successful?

Are their any reviews of it?

Most importantly, how does it work? :)
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

B3_B3_B3 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:47 am Most importantly, how does it work? :)
It's been a few years since I looked at it but didn't have much success working out how the board works unfortunately.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
gfoot

Post by gfoot »

Ooh this sounds a lot like my SuperShadow system - more details would be great if anyone has them!
B3_B3_B3

Post by B3_B3_B3 »

gfoot wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:13 am Ooh this sounds a lot like my SuperShadow system - more details would be great if anyone has them!
The manual is here: I am reading it :)

http://8bs.com/othrdnld/manuals/hardwarebbcseries.shtml

It seems the extra memory is for data (Basic code/vars or compatible sideways rom app data): it seems to make a modified copy of the current 'language/app' in its own sideways ram and runs that instead, but this seems to limit it to roms supported by its utility rom, which holds the necessary changes for supported apps. But you get more data space than on a 64k 6502 2ndp or gfoots Supershadow which loses 16k to running a hicopy of said app hence the Eureka's 58 for basic programmes or wordprocessor/spreadsheet documents..

Its still surprising it seems so under the radar: maybe its the sort of thing that needs the weight of the original manufacturer to say here is a standard..?
Last edited by B3_B3_B3 on Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gfoot

Post by gfoot »

Ah I see, yes something like that would be necessary to get that much memory to work.

I wondered whether they somehow observed that BASIC only uses certain instructions to access the user program, data, etc, and never uses those instructions to access its own ROM, so they'd then be able to do some trickery with shadow-like switching for each cycle - like on the Master - to redirect just those cycles to access different banks. For example, I can imagine that all access to the user program and data (PAGE to HIMEM) would occur through indirect addressing, and perhaps all accesses to the BASIC ROM itself and to page zero would occur through ablosute addressing - so you could easily redirect user program/data access to a different RAM bank. But there are some grey areas like the BASIC workspace, which are probably accessed with a mixture of the two, so then there may be more to it than that. Perhaps you can get away with redirecting indirect memory operations to the shadow memory for addresses above &800 and leaving them in normal Beeb memory for addresses below that - and of course only do this for code running from sideways ROM.

Anything like that is going to depend a bit on what that software does and perhaps whether their device has specific support for that software.

Return to “archive submissions”