Help with a football management game

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

dalek501

Help with a football management game

Post by dalek501 »

I wonder if anyone can name a football management game for me? I have been downloading as many footie games as I can, and searching this forum for clues but so far no luck.

All I can remember about it is it was a mode 7 game (I think) and the actual football match part of the game was a green rectangle to one side of the screen (horizontally placed) and a series of "V V V V" or "^ ^ ^ ^" in the teams colours would push up and down the pitch to show how well the team was doing.

I'm afraid thats all. I cannot rememeber who published it or where I even got it from.

I used to play it all the time along with Addictives, better, Football Manager.

Thanks in advance. :D
Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise »

Dunno what it is, but I can tell you that it *isn't* Soccer Boss, which was in MODE 6, IIRC, and didn't make any attempt at ASCII graphics ...

Sam.
ivor_the_injun

Post by ivor_the_injun »

Only other one I can think of is Footballer Of The Year, but I've never played it.
dalek501

Post by dalek501 »

Yeah, I think I have tried both of them. I'm really struggling to remember much more about it.
iamaran

Post by iamaran »

It definitely isn't Footballer of the Year - ASCII graphics would've improved that buggy game no end...

It isn't Football Director by CDS either. No moving graphics.
Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise »

Whilst we're going through what it isn't, Superior Software released Superior Soccer (I think it was called). I never played it, but I'm pretty sure that was a fully-featured, whizz-bang effort which let you play a proper game of football with decent graphics, as well as providing the management side. At least, I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Sam.
dalek501

Post by dalek501 »

The ones I have tried so far are: Champions (which to start off I thought would be the one, but there was no game showed), Brian Clough, Football Director, Football Manager, Footballer of the year, League Challenge and World cup manager.

I hadn't remembered there were so many! And there must be at least one more!
Moist_Mog

Post by Moist_Mog »

Woah, not been here for a looooong time!

Again, no idea what this is (but it sounds like a mag's type-in game rather than a commercial effort) but I'd give Superior Soccer a go... you can either play or manage or both. It's from about 1988 so pretty reasonable on a technical level as well.

Must check PMs later...
MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson »

Could it be a type in game? Micro User had a Football management game type-in in the September 1987 (I think) issue, this could have been it and would have had MODE 7 graphics possibly.
dalek501

Post by dalek501 »

Could this be the one here:

http://www.thefatboy.co.uk/text/soccer$.txt

And if so is there a way to cut and paste this into Beebem to run it?
MartinB

Post by MartinB »

Hi.

Made a dsd for you and it's here....

http://www.mediafire.com/?mzjtbtzcgb5

Martin :)
dalek501

Post by dalek501 »

Thank you very much for that! :D

Unfortunately its not the one. It doesn't have the graphical representation of the game...

The search continues... :lol:
Quaddie

Re: Help with a football management game

Post by Quaddie »

I'm not going to be much help here but I *do* remember that game also. It used "v" and "^" to show whether you were attacking/defending. I've a suspicion it was a type-in but I couldn't guarantee that. C&VG did have a type-in world cup game with a picture of the then England manager Ron Greenwood on the cover. I thought that was pretty good at the time.

D
Jeremy Grayson

Post by Jeremy Grayson »

Bobby Charlton Soccer by D.A.C.C was another early-ish footie title, though at this remove I can't remember if it had a management element or not. On balance I suspect not.

Curiouser and curiouser!

gc
dalek501

Post by dalek501 »

Quaddie wrote:I'm not going to be much help here but I *do* remember that game also. It used "v" and "^" to show whether you were attacking/defending. I've a suspicion it was a type-in but I couldn't guarantee that. C&VG did have a type-in world cup game with a picture of the then England manager Ron Greenwood on the cover. I thought that was pretty good at the time.

D
I'm glad that somebody else remembers it too! I thought I was going nuts! It certainly could have been a type in game yeah. I know I didn't type it in though so it must have gone around on bootlegs I suppose after a while.
dalek501

Post by dalek501 »

Just to update this a bit. After a few months of resigning myself to not seeing this game again it suddenly occurred to me to check the tape games. I had only done the discs before!

I came across Division One 85 by Qualsoft. I cant get this to work. Has anybody managed to, and get the game I describe above?
Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise »

Sure. Loads fine in BeebEm Model B here. Just do:

Code: Select all

*TAPE
PAGE=&E00
CHAIN""
Sam.
dalek501

Post by dalek501 »

Quite right! I should have read the instructions on the page prior to downloading... :oops:

Unfortunately I cant get past the team selection part. I assume you need the instructions for the names? I managed to guess about 4.

That in itself makes me think its not the same game as I dont recall having instructions for it at the time.
iamaran

Post by iamaran »

It looks like the one you're after.
Reversing the strings from the IN file gives team and player names. The players are:
M KNOWLES
J KING
F BARNES
P PETERS
G JONES
S ALLEN
P CHARLES
B DUGGAN
P GILES
G LYONS
S MORGAN
O OLSEN
S PARKS
J ROBERTS
C SLATER
C TURNER
W VERNON
S WILLIS
S BURNS
B STEVENS
K MARTIN
M GORDON
B BARTON
B ORTON
J SAUNDERS
D JAMES
M CHERRY
A MILES
S KARPEL
P NORTON
S SANDS
K STEWART
G HOLLAND

But only the top ones are available for you. Presumably the others are potential transfers for later in the game?
dalek501

Post by dalek501 »

Wow cheers.

Yes it worked a treat, and yes it is the one! I could have cried when I saw it. :oops:

That brings back so many memories! :)

I think I could still do with some instructions as I haven't a clue where those players are supposed to be playing and so I got beaten 7-0 three times! :lol:
iamaran

Post by iamaran »

Sorry, can't help with that - I just looked at the file loaded at the end (if you choose not to load a saved game).
dalek501

Post by dalek501 »

Yeah, I did a search for them on the preservation project site and unfortunately they aren't there. Maybe somebody will turn some up some day?

Its great just to see the game again. I dunno why though! It just is!

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”