All-day 'Virtual' Acorn session #3, Saturday 16th May 2020, 9am - 9pm. Supporting CCfCH. 50 attendees max. NOW FULL!

threads for previous all-day 'virtual' ABug events
klintworth

Re: All-day 'Virtual' Acorn session #3, Saturday 16th May 2020, 9am - 9pm. Supporting CCfCH. 50 attendees max. NOW FULL!

Post by klintworth »

Just a thought..... can any of the Show & Tells (especially CCfCH times) be recorded? This would be a big help for those of us in North America (otherwise it's a case of getting up very early - worth it tho'!) Sorry - realise that this is more work on the Host, also checking with presenters etc. Thanks, Paul
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, Olivetti PC128S, Castle A7000+, A3020, Valiant Turtle, Trekker Robot
helpful

Re: All-day 'Virtual' Acorn session #3, Saturday 16th May 2020, 9am - 9pm. Supporting CCfCH. 50 attendees max. NOW FULL!

Post by helpful »

Is it possible for the person running the meeting to push blank video feeds onto a second page, so that those actually involved in a discussion are more likely to be on the main display?
RISC OS User Group Of London - https://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - https://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/
sydney

Post by sydney »

klintworth: I'm pretty sure presentations are being recorded as long as the presenter is happy.
helpful: I think this is controlled by the viewer by selecting 'hide non video participants' - https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articl ... eo-Layout-
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

sydney wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:37 pm helpful: I think this is controlled by the viewer by selecting 'hide non video participants' - https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articl ... eo-Layout-
Individual users can also choose to hide their feed from gallery view (even if it's a non-video feed) so we should probably be advising 'listeners-only' to do this. I'll add it to the guidance slide that I've been working on all week only just started this afternoon.
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Talks will be recorded with the the presenter's consent , mentioned in the top post... They will also later be published in the museum Youtube channel (again with presenter's consent).

Cheers,
Jason
klintworth wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:16 pm Just a thought..... can any of the Show & Tells (especially CCfCH times) be recorded? This would be a big help for those of us in North America (otherwise it's a case of getting up very early - worth it tho'!) Sorry - realise that this is more work on the Host, also checking with presenters etc. Thanks, Paul
klintworth

Post by klintworth »

Thanks Jason! :D
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, Olivetti PC128S, Castle A7000+, A3020, Valiant Turtle, Trekker Robot
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Pau1ie has had to drop out which means we have a spare place available..
tricky

Post by tricky »

Sorry, when I said listen only, I meant watch and listen, but not have their video or audio in the meeting, which seems to be how it was interpreted anyway :)
The chat was fairly quiet last time, so that could be left open to them if it isn't too much work for the moderators and supported by zoom obviously.

Zoom is great in that it shows many more faces than I can get Skype or Teams to show, but should we turn our cameras off when in passive watching/listening mode to try to reduce the number of faces on screen at any one time?
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

I've PMed everyone on the list with the Zoom details.

It is possible I may have missed someone out by mistake. Please check and PM or post here if you haven't received the details in your Stardot Private Messages inbox.

Thanks,
Jason
billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 »

If any spaces become free, I'd like the opportunity to lurk throughout the day, if possible [-o<
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

billcarr2005 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:55 pm If any spaces become free, I'd like the opportunity to lurk throughout the day, if possible [-o<
there is one free... I will PM you the Zoom details now
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

The final version of the schedule has now been confirmed:

VABugAgenda_AllDay_03_May16th2020_PNG_v1.00.png

We're really pleased to reveal the final agenda item ...

The 6pm-7pm 'speaker' slot will feature a talk from a special guest: ex-Computer Concepts programmer, Paul Hiscock.

Paul will cover his career pre-Computer Concepts (expect some early electronics from Watford Electronics before their Beeb days, 74-series logic chips etc and his first programmable device) and his first published game that was written with school-friends and sold in a local computer shop.

Computer Concepts - publishers of Wordwise - were one of the most successful software development companies for Acorn computers in the 1980s/90s and Paul was their first "hire". Paul initially wrote some arcade games including the ever-popular Android Attack before writing one of the best known utility roms of its time, Disc Doctor. Paul also wrote the Computer Concepts Graphics ROM, the Printmaster series of ROMs whilst co-developing other applications such as InterBASE.

Paul will also touch on his post-BBC Micro career, which includes initial work at Marconi including missile design(!) and says that he can ramble on about work with 2G GSM mobile phones, GPS, and more recently Bluetooth radios if there's interest!
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

Very impressive! I'm looking forward to tomorrow :D
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Well, that's a rather impressive lineup going on there.

So, Paul, last ABUG we played a game you may be somewhat familiar with - Android Attack.

I admin the High Score Challenge on the *. forum and we've also played it there.

I have to say that in both venues it was very popular and well attended in the HSC. Not every game is, yours was.

Hopefully (being in Canada's west coast) I can be there for your presentation and if I can am certainly looking forward to your presentation.
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

We've put together some guidelines and best practices for all participants - if anybody has any feedback on the doc please post in the general event chat forum.

Thanks!
Attachments
VABug_Guidelines_PNG_v1.png
tricky

Post by tricky »

I know I suggested the brief intro spots, but I'm wondering if a pinned thread of attendees bios might help shorted the procedure.
Everyone could still say HI (maybe) but what would have been in their intro could be in a single thread with one post per person if they want to that is.
I am a little embarrassed to keep making suggestions without offering to help, but I doubt I would be much help :oops:
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Hi there,
just a few words after the virtual meetup:

I really enjoyed all the talks and all the banter in between. The range and talent across people's projects was very impressive and inspiring.

Thanks to all that attended;
A big thankyou to Arcadian for pulling out all the stops to arrange an engaging, varied schedule at very short notice.
A big thankyou to sydney and JudgeBeeb as well for helping organise and run the event and their valuable feedback.
A big thankyou to all those that gave a talk (and ran high score competition!) - it wouldn't have been half the event it was without you!

And a finally thankyou on behalf of the museum for all those that have donated.
For those who haven't yet donated and feel they're able to, the link to their "Just giving" page is: https://www.justgiving.com/campaign/computermuseum

Thanks all once again,
Jason
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

Thanks again to the organizers and all those giving a talk. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I even got a little bit of programming done :mrgreen:
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

It was, as ever, a pleasure to help out with this and a thoroughly enjoyable day.

My absolute highlight (among many) of the day, was seeing Jason F presenting Phoebe and the Steve Furber prototype1. It would be really nice to do this again (maybe as part of a Virtual Acorn World in September). In fact, a presentation like this would be welcomed at a physical event (with it being videoed for the museum's YouTube channel).

Another thought, would be to generally have a timetable for physical events when they restart (again, with the possibility of presentations being videoed for the benefit of those who cannot attend). These virtual sessions make me realise how much I am missing at the events.

Thanks again to Arcadian, jbnbeeb and sydney.

[1We really need a better name for this. It sounds like someone built Steve Furber.]
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

A huge thank you to all involved in organising the event, I had a great time =D> All the presentations were terrific, but a highlight for me was hearing from Paul Hiscock, thank you for joining us yesterday!
Atom / BBC B with Music 5000/4000/2000 / Electron / A3000 / Master 128
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Though I could only be on from the early afternoon (UK time) I found it to be a very fine event. Paul's talk was indeed a highlight.

For me, it's just getting to put the faces to the names and hearing their voices (did you guys notice you have an accent?) and getting to know where you fit in the community. That's what these virtual meetings have brought to me and......the flavour of computing like it used to be in the old days with everyone sharing, learning, teaching and generally sharing ideas.

Thanks certainly to the organizers and hosts for doing a bang-up job of this.

One last thing, we had almost double the amount of players on the HSC as last time so I hoped you all enjoyed that.

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

KarateEd wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:57 pm (did you guys notice you have an accent?)
I know I have an accent, I live in Somerset (or Summerset as Dave H. likes to put on the parcels labels) and work in Bristol, so I can’t help but speak a bit West Country mixed in with some Bristolian (https://youtu.be/iXcizut9qA8 https://facebook.com/BBCArchive/videos/ ... 418292993/) but even so, I can’t sing anywhere as good as The Wurzels :lol:

(link)

:mrgreen:

Mark

PS And yes, there is a small chain of DIY/general hardware stores called Proper Job :D
Three of them exist in my home town :D
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

1024MAK wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:54 pm I know I have an accent, I live in Somerset (or Summerset as Dave H. likes to put on the parcels labels)
Hey . . . You got a problem, mate? (now corrected for future deliveries :lol: )

Dave H :D
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

daveejhitchins wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:02 pm
1024MAK wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:54 pm I know I have an accent, I live in Somerset (or Summerset as Dave H. likes to put on the parcels labels)

:shock: - absolutely no problem :lol:
We have a very nice postie, and we don’t mind :D

Mark
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

1024MAK wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:15 pm
daveejhitchins wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:02 pm

:shock: - absolutely no problem :lol:
We have a very nice postie, and we don’t mind :D

Mark
To be honest, it's wonderful to hear all the different accents on these calls, it cheers my hearts.....emphasis on cheers.....

JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Should I be concerned that I watched the Wurzels video all the way through?
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:05 pm Should I be concerned that I watched the Wurzels video all the way through?
Only if you binge watch their YouTube channel :lol:

Mark
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

I'd also like to thank all the organisers for this event. Unfortunately I had to drop out mid afternoon, but was definitely inspired by the great work that you all do! So much so, that I've got my soldering iron out again. Beware!

Return to “past all-day virtual ABugs”