All-day 'Virtual' Acorn session #3, Saturday 16th May 2020, 9am - 9pm. Supporting CCfCH. 50 attendees max. NOW FULL!

threads for previous all-day 'virtual' ABug events
jbnbeeb

All-day 'Virtual' Acorn session #3, Saturday 16th May 2020, 9am - 9pm. Supporting CCfCH. 50 attendees max. NOW FULL!

Post by jbnbeeb »

Virtual Acorn session. Saturday 16th May 2020 9am-9pm, supporting CCfCH..

Hi,

There was originally going to be a weekend ABug running May 15-17 at the Cambridge Centre for Computing History. Due to the Coronavirus, the museum is closed and it is likely to be some time before they're able to re-open.

To quote from the museum website:
"Things are tough right now ..They're tough for everyone :( But when coronavirus hit here in the UK, the museum had to close its doors to the public, and we lost practically all our income overnight. No visitors, no workshops, no events, no school visits... no income."

So in lieu of the original event, I'd like this Virtual Acorn meetup to support the museum. It will be hosted via ZOOM, with the help of some fellow kind Stardotters who've organised and run the other recent virtual meetups.

Donations
- For those wishing to attend, if you feel you are able to, please consider a donation to the museum via their "Just Giving" link: https://www.justgiving.com/campaign/computermuseum .
- Donating is not mandatory to attend.
- For attendees who feel they're able to donate, I'm going to suggest a minimum donation of £9.00 - which would be the entrance fee for a day's visit to the musuem.

Schedule

Update 15th May
We can now present the final version of the schedule (click to enlarge):

VABugAgenda_AllDay_03_May16th2020_PNG_v1.00.png

The 6pm Speaker Slot has now been confirmed - which will be a talk/Q&A from ex-Computer Concepts developer Paul Hiscock, who wrote games such as Android Attack and utility roms including Disc Doctor and Print Master.

Though it will be very similar to the meeting that was held on 2nd May, we are trying to pack in as many presentations as possible into this special, one-off event. Hence the gaps between each presenter slot (labelled as "projects and troubleshooting") are in most cases very brief (typically 15 minutes). Future all-day Virtual ABug events will see a return to longer breaks between presenter slots.

---
Format of the Virtual Acorn meetup..

Two "features" of this virtual meet up are:

Informal talks.
- If a presenter is happy to do so, we'll record their talk for future upload to the museum Youtube channel
- Regarding privacy, only those people wishing to do a presentation/talk would be visible in the recording.

Archive requests:
- Jason F will be present (I believe with a member of staff whilst social distancing) in the museum and attending the ZOOM meetup.
- He would be happy to fetch and show items from the museum archive on request.
- Museum artifacts are catalogued.You can search for them via the "Search_here" box in the top right hand corner of their website: http://www.computinghistory.org.uk .
- If you click through to a specific artifact, a catalogue number should be visible at the bottom of that artifact page.
- Please post the catalogue number in this thread of the item you would like to see.

Attendee list

**50 attendees maximum..** NOW FULL!!

If you'd like to attend, please post in this thread or PM me - please state
- approx times you think you'll be online.
- if you're working on any projects and I'll put a short description next to your name below
- if you'd like to do a project talk/presentation (will PM you to arrange a slot) Edit 8th May: schedule now full

On Friday 15th May, I will PM attendees with the ZOOM meeting details.

1. jbnbeeb. (Jason) Attending all day. Possibly some coding on my WIP game. Doing talk on WIP game
2. jgharston. (Jonathan) I'll probably be working on adding Trig/Log to PDP11 BASIC
3. Arcadian. (Dave) Earlyish til 9.
4. LordVaderUK . (Andy) Popping in and out
5. BigEd. (Ed) Popping in and out 9-5.
6. anightin. (Andy) Showing off working System 3 build, and/or the System 5 if it is working by then.
7. Pernod. (Nigel ) Popping in. Demonstrating MAME emulation of items previously archived from the museum.
8. daveejhitchins. (Dave)
9. tricky. (Richard) Attending all day.
10. z0m8ied0g. (Steve)
11. sbadger. (Stewart)
12. JudgeBeeb. (Robert) Attending all day. I would be happy to show my replica Atom PCB
13. flibble. (Peter)
14. dp11. (Dominic)
15. chrisn. (Chris) Should be able to attend all day
16. billcarr2005. (bill)
17. dominicbeesley (dominic) Giving hardware demo of Blitter board
18. EdwardianDuck (Jeremy)
19. wolfgang . (Wolfgang) Popping in and out
20. MarkMoxon . (Mark) Attending in the afternoon
21. 1024MAK . (Mark)
22. KarateEd . (Ed) Evening time / High Score Competition
23. myelin . (Phil) 6 or 7pm?
24. DaveLecky. (Dave) popping in and out?
25. OxC0DE (Kelvin) Popping in and out. Current projects: porting Mountain Panic to the Acorn Electron, coding Elk demo effects in 6502 asm, etc.
26. markjw. (Mark)
27. sydney. (Simon)
28. frankc. (Frank) Attending across the day; talks are main interest
29. MattGodbolt (Matt) Would love to join from Chicago (6 hours behind); probably 6pmish UK time onwards!
30. helpful (Bryan) will drop in from 2pm ish
31. scarybeasts (Chris) will do a talk on his new beebjit emulator and possibly HFE
32. TimoHartong (Timo) joining after 11am Working on 2nd serial port for raspberry pi and bluetooth stack
33. kieranhj (Kieran) Afternoon/evening. Sharing some of the interesting stuff we did to make our 3D demo for the BBC.
34. KenLowe (Ken).
35. SimonSideburns (Simon?)
36. sPhilManwairing (Phil) Attending all day.
37. SarahWalker Will probably drop in for at least some of this.
38. Dave Footitt Popping in and out.
39. klintworth (Paul) joining in the afternoon
40. oss003 (Kees)
41. pixelblip (Mike) live art creation and talk
42. trevorg (Trevor?) Popping in and out.
43. Kazzie (Geraint) should be around for much of the evening
44. BasV_NL (Bas) Popping in and out.
45. mattyj (Matt)
46. Snuggsy187 (Neil) Popping in and out.
47. PaulH (Paul)
48. enemyofchaos
49. MattH (Matt)
50. Naomasa298 (Shane) Mainly present (lurking) in the afternoon

+ ComputingHistory (Jason Fitzpatrick, Founder - Centre for Computing History, Cambridge)

Last edited by jbnbeeb on Fri May 15, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 33 times in total.
jgharston

Re: Virtual Acorn meetup: May 16th 2020 supporting Cambridge Computer museum

Post by jgharston »

Add me. I'll probably be working on adding Trig/Log to PDP11 BASIC if I've found my "orange book"* by then.

*I can't remember what it's called, something like Introduction to Digital Computing, it has algorithms for various arithmetic computational functions. If not, I'll be falling back on Salas Hille and Anderson.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

I'm in, from early-ish (though possibly not 9) until 9pm.

Thanks Jason!
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
LordVaderUK

Post by LordVaderUK »

Yes please, I will drop in and out though due to other commitments.

Great idea to support the museum =D>
Loving my BBC Master 128
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

I'm in!
anightin

Post by anightin »

Happy to support the museum and would be dropping in and out between 09:00 and 17:00.

Also happy to show off My working System 3 build, and/or the System 5 if it is working by then.

:D
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

I'm in, not sure of times yet though. Will try to pop in for a couple of 3 hours visits maybe.
jbnbeeb wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:03 pm Informal interviews.
- For those that would like to.. Jason Fitzpatrick (curator of the museum) would like to do interviews with people that wish to show/demonstrate any projects they've been working on.
I could be tempted to demonstrate MAME emulation of items previously archived from the museum. This would include Acorn Communicator (Briefcase, Italian, Early Prototype), Comus Daisy, Hektor, Prisma 3 (not from museum but they have one), and anything else that looks interesting to watch such as BeebOPL.
jbnbeeb wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:03 pm Archive requests:
- Jason F will be present (I believe with a member of staff whilst social distancing) in the museum and attending the ZOOM meetup.
Is this just to see items or will they be able to dump any ROMs/archive discs? I wouldn't want to ask too much by posting my lengthy list but there are maybe four ROMs I'd like to see dumped from BBC expansion boards which should be easy to do, if they're able.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Count me in for the full day. I don't know whether it is interview worthy, but I would be happy to show my replica Atom PCB and, if they have arrived by then, the replica BBC BASIC Conversion Card PCB.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
flibble

Post by flibble »

I'd like to turn up to this one too :)
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Of course, I'll be there . . . :D

Dave H :D
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
tricky

Post by tricky »

should be around all day, not sure what i'll be working on yet.
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Thanks to all that have responded so far
I'll update the top post with attendees soon..
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Pernod wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:06 pm I'm in, not sure of times yet though. Will try to pop in for a couple of 3 hours visits maybe.
jbnbeeb wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:03 pm Informal interviews.
- For those that would like to.. Jason Fitzpatrick (curator of the museum) would like to do interviews with people that wish to show/demonstrate any projects they've been working on.
I could be tempted to demonstrate MAME emulation of items previously archived from the museum. This would include Acorn Communicator (Briefcase, Italian, Early Prototype), Comus Daisy, Hektor, Prisma 3 (not from museum but they have one), and anything else that looks interesting to watch such as BeebOPL.
jbnbeeb wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:03 pm Archive requests:
Is this just to see items or will they be able to dump any ROMs/archive discs? I wouldn't want to ask too much by posting my lengthy list but there are maybe four ROMs I'd like to see dumped from BBC expansion boards which should be easy to do, if they're able.
Pernod - I'm sure a demonstration of the Acorn Cummunicator /MAME emulation would be much appreciated. Regarding fetching stuff from the archive, I'm pretty sure this is pretty much "show and tell" rather than "dump and archive".. but that said, perhaps ROM dumps could be arranged....We're hoping to have Jason F posting on this thread soon and perhaps he could comment.

Thanks
Jason
z0m8ied0g

Post by z0m8ied0g »

Put me down I'll try to turn up this time.
Acorn... lots of Acorn... http://blog.retroacorn.net
sbadger

Post by sbadger »

Yes please, (Though likey to drop in and out during the day)
So many projects, so little time...
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Top post updated with attendees.

For those who haven't done already, please could you let me know what you might be up to if you're working on projects ..thankyou

Cheers,
Jason
dominicbeesley

Post by dominicbeesley »

I'd like to attend please and I should be ready to give a demo of my hardware projects - at least of my Blitter board - please let me know if that is of interest?

Also re mame - it would be really good to have a walk through of how to install and run it - I caught the end of (Joel's?) the talk this morning so not sure if that has already been done?

D
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

dominicbeesley wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 3:25 pm I'd like to attend please and I should be ready to give a demo of my hardware projects - at least of my Blitter board - please let me know if that is of interest?

Also re mame - it would be really good to have a walk through of how to install and run it - I caught the end of (Joel's?) the talk this morning so not sure if that has already been done?

D
Definitely interested in you giving a demo (will PM you). Will check re mame walkthrough.
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

(updated top post with chrisn, paul1ie, dominicbeesley)
EdwardianDuck

Re: All-day 'Virtual' Acorn session #3, Saturday 16th May 2020, 9am - 9pm. Supporting CCfCH.

Post by EdwardianDuck »

I'd like to attend please. Sorry for the slightly tardy response to the invite, I wanted to donate (done) before asking to attend.

I'll be there for the whole day, either working on Skirrid (yes, I know, still not finished!) depending on how much I get done over the next couple of weeks or working on another 6502 programming project.

Jeremy
jbnbeeb

Re: All-day 'Virtual' Acorn session #3, Saturday 16th May 2020, 9am - 9pm. Supporting CCfCH.

Post by jbnbeeb »

Added EdwardianDuck.

Thankyou for donating.

For those just seeing this thread.. I'll just add (per the top post) that donating isn't mandatory to attend the event; if you do want to donate it can be done anytime - though I would ask it be done sometime before or during the event if possible.
dominicbeesley

Post by dominicbeesley »

I've donated - I also bought some gift shop stuff My 5yo daughter is on a top-trumps kick at the moment - some nice stuff in the shop

D
MarkMoxon

Post by MarkMoxon »

Yes please, I'd like to attend. Probably only in the afternoon, but hopefully for longer. Thanks!
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

MarkMoxon wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:54 am Yes please, I'd like to attend. Probably only in the afternoon, but hopefully for longer. Thanks!
Added you Mark.

Thanks,
Jason
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

I should add so far

-- dominicbeesley - will be doing a talk in the afternoon re his Blitter project
-- anightin - a talk on his System 3 build project
-- me - many will have seen me at ABUGs with a yellow scrolling screen.. I will give a talk on developing my still-unfinished game..and maybe go some way towards explaining why it's taking me so long :)

Jason
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Hi Jason

Can you please put me down to attend.

Thanks for organising this.

Mark
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

I'll be happy to be there. I'm guessing you would like a similar set up as last time for the HSC?

I'll get to work on it right away.......

I will likely show up about 1-2 hours before the HSC. Coffee, breakfast, prayers (what the world needs now) all before the meet up.
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.

Return to “past all-day virtual ABugs”