All-day 'Virtual' Acorn session #2, Saturday 2nd May 2020, 9am - 9pm

threads for previous all-day 'virtual' ABug events
KenLowe

Re: Acorn Virtual Saturday Session. 9am - 9pm. 2/5/20

Post by KenLowe »

Aww. Only just seen this thread. I'll try and join the next virtual meet.
sydney

Post by sydney »

KenLowe wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:36 am Aww. Only just seen this thread. I'll try and join the next virtual meet.
This isn't the first post like this.
Is it a good idea to have a thread where people can declare interest in any future virtual meetups which I can then pm/email those people when an event is imminent?
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

dominicbeesley wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:34 pm Could I say a big thanks to the organisers and all the paricipants for an excellent day. I think it flowed really well.

Thanks

D
+1 to this. Thanks Simon , Dave and Robert for getting this together
JudgeBeeb

Re: All-day 'Virtual' Acorn session #2, Saturday 2nd May 2020, 9am - 9pm

Post by JudgeBeeb »

I had an awesome day yesterday. Thanks to Arcadian and sydney for all the work you put into this.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
oss003

Post by oss003 »

+1 for me too.
I think it worked great with the slots and schedule ...... thanks.

Greetings
Kees
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

sydney wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:07 am
KenLowe wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:36 am Aww. Only just seen this thread. I'll try and join the next virtual meet.
This isn't the first post like this.
Is it a good idea to have a thread where people can declare interest in any future virtual meetups which I can then pm/email those people when an event is imminent?
Is there a way to "pin" the meetup threads to the top - even in active topics?
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

jbnbeeb wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:46 am Is there a way to "pin" the meetup threads to the top - even in active topics?
I've made the Cambridge-replacement thread 'global'. This pins it to the top of every forum within Stardot.

This does move it 'out' of the main Events section - but it's visible directly above (and I've changed the existing 'Forum etiquette' post from Global to a regular Announcement, meaning 'Cambridge-replacement' is currently the only 'global' topic visible across all forums).

I've checked and even making a topic Global doesn't pin it to the top of Active topics.

Let me know if this works for you.
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
roland

Post by roland »

+2 from me too.
oss003 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:30 am I think it worked great with the slots and schedule ...... thanks.
It worked great, indeed. A great advantage for the presenter is that you have to tell your story only once and you have all participants as your audience (well, except those that go away or fall asleep :lol: ). If the slots are recorded and published on the board or Youtube then people who have missed a slot can watch it anyway.

Like I already mentioned yesterday, I prefer a short break (10 minutes max) after two slots for going to the toilet or getting a cup of tea.

BTW Kees, cool that you are working on Dare Devil Dennis for the Atom \:D/ After you have finished that I might have a new challenge for you....
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
oss003

Post by oss003 »

roland wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 3:15 pmBTW Kees, cool that you are working on Dare Devil Dennis for the Atom \:D/ After you have finished that I might have a new challenge for you....
Daredevil Dennis over Wifi ..... ;)
I love challenges.

Greetings
Kees
SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns »

I saw the announcement with plenty of time to express interest, but I knew I might be busy and unable to attend, and in the end I ended up busy removing loose blocks from above an old wooden lintel on the rear wall of our kitchen and replacing the lintel with a proper steel one.

It was pretty scary stuff, considering I don't have any Acrow props. I ended up gently sawing through the mortar with an old wood saw, which surprisingly went pretty well, and after major fettling the rest of the day yesterday and most of today I was able to sit the new lintel in the right place.

Thankfully I didn't attack the wall with anything causing too much vibration and the unsupported blocks didn't come tumbling down. It was likely that the pebble dash on the exterior face of the wall was holding it all together.

Tomorrow I have to mix some mortar and start putting up new supporting blocks above the lintel, so the wall above has something to sit on.

The only thing I really miss about virtual ABUGs though is there aren't the usual slew of pictures of everything going on to wade through while reminiscing on what a lovely day it was. A screenshot of Zoom somehow isn't quite the same.
Just remember kids, Beeb spelled backwards is Beeb!
sydney

Post by sydney »

I'd like to say a few thanks yous.
Thanks to Robert and Dave for the work they put into it, I'm not sure I'd manage 12 hours without your support.
Thanks to KarateEd for the fantastic High Score Challenge, it was a welcome change of pace.
Thanks to everyone who gave presentations, they really made the day so succesful.
Thanks to everyone who attended. I wasn't sure how well the online format would work but with everyone working together it certainly works and I think will become a permanent part of the Acorn events calendar.
Looking forward to the next one on Tuesday the 12th I think.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

I echo sydney's remarks above! Am especially appreciative of the all the speakers/presenters, almost all of whom were approached at extremely short notice!

Also thanks to markjw for maintaining the 'schedule' slide throughout the session via his second Zoom account, it was really handy having it there to refer to (and periodically 'spotlight') throughout the day.
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

I just want to echo most of what Sydney said.

For me, it's a great experience just to be able to see the folks that I've been chatting on and off with for the last several years. You've all become a part of my life, certainly in my heart and I hold you dear.

It's probably the only way that I'd ever get to see you so I welcome these Virtual ABUGs as much as and maybe more, than most folks.
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.

Return to “past all-day virtual ABugs”