Crazee Rider - Help required.

request software or documentation that you can't find online
leenew

Crazee Rider - Help required.

Post by leenew »

Hi there,
If you have been following the Wizadore thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19122
then this should follow a similar path.
The same user that reported the Wizadore problem has found issues with Crazee Rider.
First of all, it appears that the bbcmicro.co.uk version plays fine, BUT is the standard BBC Model B version.
The disc version had an enhanced version for the Master 128.
I have just checked the version I have from "Play it again Sam 2" and it shows graphics corruption.
So, is anyone able to provide us with a perfect "Enhanced" Crazee Rider?
**Preferably from an original disc, but if not, maybe from the methods suggested below.

For reference, here are the findings of the "complainant".....

Thanks,

Lee.

I hesitate to mention this, but I've just found one more item in

the catalogue that I think requires attention...

This time it's Crazee Rider. Your copy on the site works fine,

but is only the regular BBC Micro version. The original came with

an enhanced Master edition that had some rather good music, extra

tracks and other extra features - so it's a shame not to have it

preserved.

Again, I've had a look online to see what I can find, and I've come

up with two useful files.

First of all, here is what appears to be a perfect transcription

of the Master 128 *tape* edition:

https://www.retrostic.com/roms/bbc-micr ... -uef-19015

As for the disk version, I've tested the versions on the TOSEC and

it's mixed news. Of the copies available, this one looks promising,

appears to be unhacked and offers both standard and enhanced (i.e.

Master) versions:

https://archive.org/download/TOSEC_V201 ... ior%29.zip

Unfortunately, though the standard edition is fine, the Master

version simply doesn't load (the machine hangs as the menu is

starting to be drawn).

The other TOSEC image that's worth looking at is this one (NB this

is identical to the SSD of the game hosted on Stairway To Hell,

though they have different filenames - I did a binary comparison):

https://archive.org/download/TOSEC_V201 ... STH%5D.zip

The filename indicates that it's been hacked, but there are no

visible signs. The good news about this is that it looks just like

the disk version that I owned myself (i.e. a choice of standard and

enhanced version was offered on loading) and both versions of the

game do in fact load. The other good news is that the enhanced

Master version appears perfect.

But the bad news is that there's something a bit odd about the

regular BBC version on this copy. Although it loads fine, it has

the wrong colour scheme, with cyan instead of yellow in the top

portion of the screen - which I'm sure isn't right.

Anyway, once again, I'd HOPE that someone should be able to cobble

together a 'perfect' version of the game without too much trouble

from the above two nearly-perfect disk copies.
billcarr2005

Re: Crazee Rider - Help required.

Post by billcarr2005 »

Try this?
Although it does show graphics corruption in BeebEM 4.14, it plays fine in B-Em and JSbeeb
Attachments
Crazee Rider.zip
(39.47 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
leenew

Post by leenew »

Thanks BillC,
I have uploaded the game to bbcmicro.co.uk http://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=3418 but it does not load.
I will get Chet to double check I haven't done anything stupid, just in case...

Lee.
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

Am busy extracting the files from a .hfe copy of the disc (from Chris) so that's as close to the original as you can get, so far I have the BBC version working, the master version if I remember well, was a bit more complicated, been a long time since I played with the protected disc of this game.
The standard version I have tried it on beebjit, BeebEm B-em and JSBeeb seems to load an run fine on all of them, not tried it on my real hardware.
Now to get the master stuff off there.
Regards Peter.
CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall »

Here is mine from BITD
:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17898&p=248468&hili ... am#p248468

Press 3 to use a Watford rom / ram 144k board in a beeb so can play master version.

sure it's only more music & guy on bike does a flip when you crash....
ImageImageImage
billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 »

vanekp wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:13 pm Am busy extracting the files from a .hfe copy of the disc (from Chris) so that's as close to the original as you can get, so far I have the BBC version working, the master version if I remember well, was a bit more complicated, been a long time since I played with the protected disc of this game.
The standard version I have tried it on beebjit, BeebEm B-em and JSBeeb seems to load an run fine on all of them, not tried it on my real hardware.
I believe the HFE was created from the FSD which is how I've created the SSD. There are two protected files. I haven't even bothered executing the code / saving off the files, instead just changing the file details to the correct place on the disk.
CMcDougall wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:17 pm Here is mine from BITD
:
As mentioned on that thread, it's still "protected", ie. loading the data from the disk rather than loading the file.
lurkio wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:34 pm Does this work?:
:?:
Yes!
leenew

Post by leenew »

So is BillC's version failing because of a JSBeeb issue?
I notice the link that lurkio posted above includes jsbeebng which is NOT the version that bbcmicro.co.uk uses...

Lee
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

Her is a fresh copy of CrazyRider (Both Versions), only files I had to step through where the protected sector loaders for the main code, game and MCRider which load at &0400 and run through to &0499, at which point both then jump to &664B with the main code now sitting between &1900 &6700, save these out replacing the sector loader code of game and MCRider, all the other files can simply be copied off the disc, and removed *INIT from the menu program line 10 (Seems to be some replacement disc routine intercepting disc * commands)
Attachments
CrazyRiderBBC&MasterVersion.ssd
(97.5 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
Regards Peter.
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

leenew wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:17 pm So is BillC's version failing because of a JSBeeb issue?
I think it's failing because the "default" version of JSBeeb which is used for most games on bbcmicro.co.uk is very old and no longer fit for purpose really. If only there was someone who was au fait with every single line of the code for the website and who had the skills and the access to update the "default" JSBeeb installation on bbcmicro.co.uk to the latest version...

leenew wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:17 pmI notice the link that lurkio posted above includes jsbeebng which is NOT the version that bbcmicro.co.uk uses...
"jsbeebng" is an "experimental" installation of JSBeeb which is newer than the "default" version but still not as new as the latest version of JSBeeb on bbc.godbolt.org and the JSBeeb Github repo. If only there was someone who was au fait with every single line of the code for the website and who had the skills and the access to update the "default" JSBeeb installation on bbcmicro.co.uk to the latest version...

:-k

EDIT: The enhanced version of Crazee Rider for the Master 128 has a great "attract mode" tune by Martin Galway and Kevin Edwards:
scarybeasts

Post by scarybeasts »

vanekp wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:13 pm Am busy extracting the files from a .hfe copy of the disc (from Chris) so that's as close to the original as you can get, so far I have the BBC version working, the master version if I remember well, was a bit more complicated, been a long time since I played with the protected disc of this game.
In case it is helpful, Crazee Rider is one of those Master enhanced games that works ok on a beeb if you give it enough sideways RAM in the right banks. Despite not having Master support yet, beebjit will play it with -swram 4 -swram 5 -swram 6 -swram 7.
Love that music!

I changed the default jsbeeb model B config, not that long ago, to have tons of sideways RAM, including the four banks above.

Cheers
Chris
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

scarybeasts wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:51 am
In case it is helpful, Crazee Rider is one of those Master enhanced games that works ok on a beeb if you give it enough sideways RAM in the right banks. Despite not having Master support yet, beebjit will play it with -swram 4 -swram 5 -swram 6 -swram 7.
Love that music!

I changed the default jsbeeb model B config, not that long ago, to have tons of sideways RAM, including the four banks above.

Cheers
Chris
Yes I did that on beebjit as I did test the Enhanced version on there as well at the other emulators including JSBeeb and it works without any problems.
Regards Peter.
jpagen

Post by jpagen »

Hi

Appreciate this is an old thread but I would appreciate any help on a Crazee Rider related question.

I have been trying to get the enhanced version to run an my model B with the Ifel RAM/ROM board fitted
The Ifel board SRAM is in banks 4,5,8 and 9 etc but I think the enhanced Crazee Rider is expecting SRAM in banks 4,5,6,7

The following link includes an additional BASIC file called ROM/RAM but I have not had any success!
CMcDougall wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:17 pm Here is mine from BITD
:

Press 3 to use a Watford rom / ram 144k board in a beeb so can play master version.

sure it's only more music & guy on bike does a flip when you crash....
Does anyone know if there is a version which allows the use of different SRAM banks (in my case 4,5,8,&9)?

Thanks!
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

I think the other problem is the Master version makes use of the 65C02 instruction set which the BBC does not support unless you change the 6502A to a 65C02 CPU.
And I think it is hard coded to use the default RAM banks 4,5,6,7 it would need digging through the code to change that all, no idea how simple that is.
Regards Peter.
jpagen

Post by jpagen »

vanekp wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:46 pm I think the other problem is the Master version makes use of the 65C02 instruction set which the BBC does not support unless you change the 6502A to a 65C02 CPU.
And I think it is hard coded to use the default RAM banks 4,5,6,7 it would need digging through the code to change that all, no idea how simple that is.
OK Thanks for the quick response. In that case I can stick to emulation if I want to use the enhanced version. The linked version in my previous post runs on an emulated model B (BeebEm) as well as the Master, providing I set banks 5-8 as SRAM but appreciate to may be difficult re specifying other banks to use with my Ifel RAM/ROM board.

Thanks again.

Return to “archive requests”