All-day 'Virtual' Acorn session #1, Saturday 11th April 2020, 9am - 5pm

threads for previous all-day 'virtual' ABug events
vztfzc

Re: Second 'Virtual ABug', Saturday 11th April, 9am - 5pm

Post by vztfzc »

Evening,

I would like to participate as a "lurker" please.

Regards
Paul
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

I've come up with following breakout room name suggestions:
  1. Introduction to Zoom
  2. ARM based hardware
  3. Electron hardware
  4. Beeb hardware
  5. Atom/System hardware
  6. Games development
  7. Games releases
  8. RISCOS coding
  9. General 1
  10. General 2
We have to set up the breakout rooms at the beginning of the day. Once they are set up, we cannot add new rooms without ejecting everyone from all the rooms. So please let me know if you want anything added to or changed in the list of rooms. Please also note that if you are using a Chromebook or Chrome OS you will not be able to join breakout rooms.

If anyone wants a bit of help getting used to Zoom, I can try to do a little intro in one of the breakout rooms. However, I cannot do that via screen sharing. If you try to screen share your Zoom screen you get some really trippy recursiveness :-? .
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Hi Simon -
I would like to join the virtual ABUG today from about lunch time.
Please can you add me to the list / PM me details?
Edit:
I will spend a bit of time working on my game and as ever nosing about to see what everyone else is up to.

Thanks,
Jason
oss003

Post by oss003 »

Hi Simon,

I also want to peek now and then ..... I'm working on AGD for the Atom/Beeb and Electron

Can you PM me the codes for joining the meeting?
Thanks.

Greetings
Kees
sPhilMainwaring

Post by sPhilMainwaring »

I'd like to join as a lurker possibly dipping in deeper to misc rooms as and when needed

I have Zoom on my tablet but not on my laptop yet ... the cam works on the tablet but not on laptop so tablet would be better to use but not for typing

How do I join a meeting and go to rooms? (I've never used it before)
sydney

Post by sydney »

I've pm'd everyone up to here.
SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns »

The virtual meeting is going well, and I'm learning quite a lot of interesting things and getting to know those who are attending.

If anyone has been unsure about popping in there's no reason why you shouldn't. Might be too late to join this one but I'm sure these will become a regular feature during lock down.
Just remember kids, Beeb spelled backwards is Beeb!
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

It's not too late to join. Just post in this forum and we will PM you with the details to join in.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
SimonSideburns

Re: First 'Virtual ABug', Saturday 11th April, 9am - 5pm

Post by SimonSideburns »

Shift Lock wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:12 pm
SimonSideburns wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:35 pm I am able to pop in and out, and if I get my Beeb area tidy by then I could demonstrate cleaning of a floppy disc with IPA prior to export to the datacentre, as was discussed on the forum recently with a new member.
If this isn't too basic a demo for most members I'd love to join in to see this as I'm the new member Simon's talking about. I'd also be interested to know how to find the heads in a 5.25 inch drive and how to clean those, again if that isn't something too basic to be covered (a decent YouTube video would work instead if anyone knows where I can find one!).

Rich
Let me know when you get on (if you can) and I'll go through it.
Shift Lock

Post by Shift Lock »

Apologies, Simon. I haven't done video meetings before and coupled with the fact I don't really know anyone yet, I must admit nerves got the better of me. I'll get some practice in and try next time.

Rich
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Shift Lock wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:09 pm Apologies, Simon. I haven't done video meetings before and coupled with the fact I don't really know anyone yet, I must admit nerves got the better of me. I'll get some practice in and try next time.

Rich
We don’t bite! :D

This is the first time for most people, so you are in the same boat as many.

If you don’t want to speak, don’t, just sit back and watch.

Mark
oss003

Post by oss003 »

Thanks guys for organizing this ..... worked great ... =D>
See you all next time ..

Greetings
Kees
SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns »

Shift Lock wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:09 pm Apologies, Simon. I haven't done video meetings before and coupled with the fact I don't really know anyone yet, I must admit nerves got the better of me. I'll get some practice in and try next time.

Rich
I think I'm not a very people person, but these meetings don't seem particularly scary.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

To be fair though, it helps me that I have met most (nearly all) of the participants at previous ABUGs. It's a friendly crowd, but for me it's not a new crowd.

You can join with your video disabled, so you feel less exposed.
SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns »

Rich
One option is to use the Zoom system between just you and I at some point so you feel more comfortable using it before the next ABUG meeting happens.
LordVaderUK

Post by LordVaderUK »

Thanks for organising, I think that was great. My only feedback would be that as it's unlike a face to face ABUG, where people can wander around, chat, get together in small groups, etc. then maybe some sort of rough agenda or timeline would be helpful. That way people could drop in and out to see or discuss certain items they're interested in. But even without that, today was very interesting and very useful and I'd be keen to join a future virtual meeting. Thanks again for taking the time and effort to make it happen =D>
Loving my BBC Master 128
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

I think one thing which worked well was asking 'is everyone still OK to be discussing this' after 5 or 10 mins into a conversation. Most conversations were 3-5 participants, I'd guess, with a lot of spectators - but that's OK, if you know the conversation will come to an end!

We managed a bunch of subjects, without any strict timekeeping or booking - and it all went much better than I'd expected.

Edit: I suppose the question is, did anyone feel left out or cut off or without a chance to make a contribution they wanted to make?
roland

Post by roland »

hoglet wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:01 pm Please can you add me to the attendance list, I'll be available 10am-5pm.

I don't have any thing in particular to talk about, but I'm happy to answer questions on any of my past Atom or Beeb projects.

I've just this week started work on a Frame Buffer + Blitter for the 1 MHz Bus FPGA Adapter if anyone is interested. This will have:
- 640x480 VGA output with 8 bits/pixel
- programmable palette to map this to 12 bit RGB
- 1024x512 screen memory, so there is some off-screen memory for bitmaps etc.
- 8x8 Character ROM, giving a 80x60 text display with a simple OSWRCH driver
- Blitter that runs at 25M pixels/second

All of this is "work in progress" but it's getting there...

Dave

I am interested in this but not for my beeb but for my Atom. Maybe you can keep this in mind when you write the software for it.
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Only just woke up an hour ago, so I missed everything. I've been needing to experiment with Zoom for parish council stuff.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

The last few stragglers had a few thoughts about how we should run these going forward. Some of the things we discussed:
  1. We should definitely have another one on 16 May (when we would otherwise have been at the Centre for Computing History in Cambridge.
  2. Subject to interest, we could have another one on 25 April or 2 May. Would there be interest for another one that soon?
  3. We should drop the reference to 'ABUG' or 'Stardot' in the title as we have seen a couple of comments from people thinking you need to be a member to participate.
  4. For the same reason, any listing should make it clear that the events are open to anyone with an interest in Acorn computers.
  5. We should also make mention of these events on the Acorn Facebook group, albeit, perhaps, just directing people to the relevant page on Stardot.
  6. We should offer the opportunity of a practice session to anyone who is unfamiliar with the Zoom platform.
  7. It would be nice if the event on 16 May could be used, in some way, to raise some desperately needed funds for the Centre for Computing History.
Any comments on the above would be welcomed.
EdwardianDuck

Post by EdwardianDuck »

I agree, this went very well and I look forward to future online meetings. As a newish member of the community, I certainly didn't feel out of place and had plenty of opportunity to chip in. There seemed to be genuine interest in my little presentation of my implementation of Skirrid for the B/Master/Electron which was a nice bonus.

All in all a very pleasant way to spend a Saturday.

I do concur with LordVaderUK that, at least where someone has something specific to demonstrate or talk about, an approximate time allocation would help those dipping in and out.

Jeremy
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

tricky wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:14 pm Still a few straggler here ;)
One less after my broadband had a wobble :(

It’s since restarted :D

Mark
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:40 pm
  1. We should definitely have another one on 16 May (when we would otherwise have been at the Centre for Computing History in Cambridge.
I can join on this day :D
  • Subject to interest, we could have another one on 25 April or 2 May. Would there be interest for another one that soon?
I can join for only a couple of hours on 2 May, I’m currently scheduled to be at work on 25 April.
  • We should drop the reference to 'ABUG' or 'Stardot' in the title as we have seen a couple of comments from people thinking you need to be a member to participate.
These should never be labelled or called 'Stardot'. ABug is just shorthand for Acorn and BBC users group, however any notices or invitations should clearly say that there is no membership required, and that the event is open to anyone interested in Acorn or BBC computers. Hence I don’t think the ABug or Acorn and BBC users group identifies are a hindrance. But they would work as a ‘brand’ so that people have a name to use when they speak to other people outside our community.
  • For the same reason, any listing should make it clear that the events are open to anyone with an interest in Acorn computers.
  • We should also make mention of these events on the Acorn Facebook group, albeit, perhaps, just directing people to the relevant page on Stardot.
  • We should offer the opportunity of a practice session to anyone who is unfamiliar with the Zoom platform.
  • It would be nice if the event on 16 May could be used, in some way, to raise some desperately needed funds for the Centre for Computing History.
I agree :D

Mark
SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns »

If only this were possible:
Beeb Zoom.png
Bonus points for naming everyone on this image.
Kazzie

Post by Kazzie »

I'll try to call by and eavesdrop on some future sessions, but with two young kids (and heavily pregnant wife) to take care of, I can't guarantee anything... [-o<
BBC Model B 32K issue 7, Sidewise ROM board with 16K RAM
Archimedes 420/1 upgraded to 4MB RAM, ZIDEFS with 512MB CF card
RiscPC 600 under repair
Acorn System 1 home-made replica
Diminished

Post by Diminished »

SimonSideburns wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:27 pm Bonus points for naming everyone on this image.
First two are easy ...
tricky

Post by tricky »

Several of us were sometimes working on stuff and just had the conversation on in the background. I think someone commented that it was like radio.
I'm not an admin', but I think I am correct in saying:
Anyone who just wants to connect and listen to ABUG radio is most welcome.
You don't need a webcam or microphone, although a mic might be useful to call-in in case you want to show a picture, video or something in an emulator.
EDIT Actually, you could just use a smartphone!
rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr »

I’m definitely interested to attend these virtual abugs after seeing the list of sessions from the previous event. I don’t have something to present, but really interested to watch and listen. (And living in Greece it’s a bit difficult to attend a physical event).

Any possibility to record these sessions and maybe have a channel on YouTube or something like that to host these recordings?
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and 6, MRB, Plus 1 x2, Plus 3, AP6 x2, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi Co-processor, GoSDC MBE.
BBC B+ 64K (128K upgraded) with Duel OS, Raspberry Pi Co-processor and Gotek.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Had a great time, yesterday. We've just got to do this again and again and etc.

I'd had a little practice with a similar multiple meeting that one of my daughters set-up for our granddaughters birthday party - she thought it was 'really-cool' :)

Looking forward to the next one . . .

Dave H :D
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32

Return to “past all-day virtual ABugs”