Isolating myself - for three months !!!!!!!!!!!

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
daveejhitchins

Isolating myself - for three months !!!!!!!!!!!

Post by daveejhitchins »

Well, after thinking, long and hard, weighing-up the pros and cons - I've decided to self isolate: I'm 71, reasonably fit, however, if I do get ill I may end up in hospital putting more strain on the NHS - I just don't want to take that risc. And our nearest hospital . . . Hmmmm! I've been there - not overly impressed!

Why three months? This is recommended due to the expected second peak e.g. peak passes, everyone carries on - including people still with the virus, and there's your second peak - inevitable!

This doesn't mean I'll be indoors for the next three month! I've plenty to keep me occupied outside, just won't be going out for meals or any other social event . . . Which does include Wakefield, unfortunately! That may change, dependant on how it all unravels. So, I have a table booked with three exhibitor badges: MarkH and JGH - and now one free for someone else - let me know. Of course, it may be cancelled!

This doesn't mean I'll get full time in the workshop either! Mrs. H gets a new hip on Thursday, so she'll need some TLC for a while . . .

Dave H :D

Edit: Now two exhibitors passes going spare!
Edit: Wakefield cancelled . . . 18-03-20
Last edited by daveejhitchins on Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
danielj

Re: Isolating myself - for three months !!!!!!!!!!!

Post by danielj »

Look after yourself Dave! :) I suspect Wakefield will be cancelled :D

d.
davidb

Post by davidb »

Yes, take care. :D You need to be fit and ready to build all those 8-bit upgrades people will be demanding once the economy has bounced back. [-o<
leenew

Post by leenew »

Take care Dave.
My dad is doing the same.

Lee.
LordVaderUK

Post by LordVaderUK »

Look after yourself Dave, and as far as possible enjoy this time - books, box sets and of course BBCs!

My mum is doing the same and she’s quite stoic about it - currently tackling the first of half a dozen fiendish jigsaws...!
Loving my BBC Master 128
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Stay safe Dave and anyone else doing the same!

Now to persuade my folks to do the same...
Adventure Language on GitHub
Atom, issue 5, YARRB + video noise killer
Elk
A number of econetted (is that a word?) Beebs
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA
CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall »

wish I could be off for 3 month... but only get paid for 2wk #-o

imagine all the things that could be done retro wise =P~

don't think economy will ever bounce back, nothing will be left apart from chain pubs like Weatherspoons (they could do all the carpets /seats /plates while empty :idea: ) & hotels like Hilton

recession here we come, great time to buy cheap shares , IF they ever go back up.... 3 legged horse comes to mind. :shock:
ImageImageImage
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Yeah, I'm more or less doing the same. :( I'm nearly at that magic age but I'm in one of the high risk groups. So have to keep myself to myself. Mind you that was what I was pretty much intending to do anyway. Ha ha!

I've saved up lots of archiving and scanning to do.

The garden is getting ready to be tidied for Spring and Mrs FlaxCottage has an allotment which needs work - so that is my exercise covered. :lol: Last year was really good for crops and we still have lots in the freezer and other storage - so that takes care of hoarding!

I have a collection of whiskeys which will keep me occupied at home instead of going out. I hope it does not affect my scanning too much. :wink:

So, keep safe, Dave. I doubt if I'll be at Wakefield either. :?
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

daveejhitchins wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:43 pm This doesn't mean I'll be indoors for the next three month! I've plenty to keep me occupied outside, just won't be going out for meals or any other social event . . . Which does include Wakefield, unfortunately! That may change, dependant on how it all unravels. So, I have a table booked with three exhibitor badges: MarkH and JGH - and now one free for someone else - let me know. Of course, it may be cancelled!
I booked a table at Wakefield (next to yours) about one hour before the government announced the shutdown.

My job ended last Friday (my employer being merged), and already by today I'm bouncing around my flat not having got used to not going to work every day. I ended up going for a walk, striding off in a random direction until I was too tired to go any further.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
Boydie

Post by Boydie »

Thank goodness at least some people are being sensible about all this!
Dave/John - you’re being true role models.

As for me, I’m going to be not so much isolated as sequestered on ICU for about the same time period (who’d have thought Director of ICU would be such a bad lifestyle choice?). I’m spending the next few days pampering myself before it all really kicks off in my region.

Please keep the projects coming. I’ll need something to look forward to, and to recharge my batteries if I ever get free time. And definitely need something to do when I inevitably catch it!
RetroBob

Post by RetroBob »

Fair play to you guys for getting on board with this. My parents are mid 70s and pretty proud/stubbon, had to have 'the talk' with them on Monday night to explain how this was a good idea for them and everyone else. They do feel a bit helpless, to which I explained... you are helping by a) not getting infected and using the NHS, and b) not spreading to other people. They've also got involved with ringing around people who are on their own so they have someone to talk to. My wife and I (ok, mainly my wife who is on maternity leave) are also helping out out neighbours with shopping as some are over 70 and don't have family close by.

daveejhitchins wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:43 pmI just don't want to take that risc.
Nice.
Kazzie

Post by Kazzie »

daveejhitchins wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:43 pmI just don't want to take that risc. (sic)
You're definitely showing the influence of this forum. :)

Stay well.
BBC Model B 32K issue 7, Sidewise ROM board with 16K RAM
Archimedes 420/1 upgraded to 4MB RAM, ZIDEFS with 512MB CF card
RiscPC 600 under repair
Acorn System 1 home-made replica
myelin

Post by myelin »

Stay well, Dave! Sounds like a very sensible plan.
SW/EE from New Zealand, now in Mountain View, CA, making Beeb/Elk/Arc hardware projects for fun.
Most interesting: Arcflash, POST Box, Ultimate Electron Upgrade
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Take care Dave, John and anyone else doing the same.

All the events I was due to support throughout the spring have now been cancelled so I'll effectively be self-isolating too!
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

No home working for me (unless I get ill) as I’m a critical infrastructure worker :shock:

Got issued with a bottle of hand sanitiser when I arrived at work today :shock:

Currently only one person sick in my depot (they were off work before the COVID19 outbreak) so no problems at the moment :D

I hope everyone is careful and stays in good health, and where/if/when people get infected, you don’t get any complications, get well soon and have a complete recovery.

Mark
danielj

Post by danielj »

We're basically on lockdown here. The University has moved everyone to home working. Zoom is my new friend.

I was very pleased to hear today from colleagues that there are a good number of clinical trials about to kick off that the MHRA has approved. We hear an awful lot of fear and trepidation in the news, but alongside our NHS on the front line, there are a huge number of excellent scientists working out how to get the edge on this and there are some great ideas there already.
SteveBagley

Post by SteveBagley »

danielj wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:39 pm We're basically on lockdown here. The University has moved everyone to home working. Zoom is my new friend.
Same here — although did have time to nip into my office and grab some of my retro machines (no Acorns though, all Atari) :). We are MS Teams based here though.

Steve
richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey »

Good luck & good health to you all.

Going to be grim for a while but ... this too will pass and all that.

NZ not too badly affected (on the surface!) in terms of known-infections but think we'll be following the rest of the world soon.

Some of you boomers are very nice and worth keeping around! :wink: :lol: So carry on being safe!
Deleted User 9118

Post by Deleted User 9118 »

Stay safe all!

Here in Holland a lot of people, including politicians, don't seem to take it too serious. I'm afraid we're going to be in for a rough ride the coming weeks.....

See y'all on the flip side.
roland

Post by roland »

pstnotpd wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:44 pm Here in Holland a lot of people, including politicians, don't seem to take it too serious.
You can say that.... Yesterday I was out for a short walk with Misty (our dog) and I came across a group of twelve women, walking and talking together. Also groups of jogging people and a lot of people near each other at a fish stall in our place. Not to mention all those people going with their family to a garden center.....

But on the other hand there are also lots of people who stay inside their homes. Nu.nl reported yesterday that there is a huge increase of traffic to p*rn sites .... that explains why toilet paper is hard to get here :lol:
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
IanB

Post by IanB »

I'm doing pretty much the same.

I caught swine flu 10 years ago and ended up in hospital for two months, half that time on life support with sepsis and multiple organ failure so I know what the worst hit are going through.

That left me with some permanent health issues so I don't think I'd stand much chance if I caught it.
roland

Post by roland »

Thanks to the many people that went to the beaches last weekend and were celebrating "f**k the Corona virus parties" .... we're kind of grounded until June 1st. We're now only allowed to go outside the house if no family member has fever and only for doing necessary shopping and for a short walk (e.g. with the dog). So now I'm isolated too. This feels strange .... I am not sick, there is nothing to see, to hear or to smell but still there's danger outside.

I am glad that the postal services still work so I can order PCB's from China (I have to support their economy as well) and order local parts (to support the companies in my neighbourhood. Just wondering who's gonna support me ....
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall »

why when you take the dog out, you get 12 woman, when I go dogging lucky to get 4 :lol:

just watched our leader at 8:30pm, so basically same in UK too now , am a key worker so no change for me, & overtime coming out my ears :(
ImageImageImage
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

I read a great piece on self-care, from someone who has been housebound for a while and has experience. Please forgive the pastebomb, but the link to the thread isn't conveniently readable:

alex aka @alex@godforsaken.website on mastodon
Housebound advice from a long-term housebound person, boosts ok

I'm going to post a long thread on how to cope better if you're stuck indoors at the moment. I've been housebound by disability for a long while now, and sporadically housebound due to depression and agoraphobia before that. These are things that have improved how I deal with that. This is not gonna make houseboundness painless for you but it might help you cope. Disabled comrades are welcome to share their own advice to this thread.

Firstly, most importantly: you are being asked to simulate the lifestyle of a severely depressed person and because of that you are going to start experiencing symptoms of depression. It’s helpful to recognise when you’re having episodes of this – i.e. consciously think “ah shit why am I feeling so terrible right now? –> it’s because I’m having depression -> time to look after myself”.

If you have or have had depression, you might have coping mechanisms in place to deal with this. If this is new to you, there’s a lot of good advice floating around online for dealing with depression. It’s important to notice when this is happening to you, because being conscious of it is a first step in dispelling it.

Next: time is going to get weird. Days are going to blend into each other. Your body-clock is going to be deprived of a lot of the physiological cues you get from going outside and having a routine. You’re going to need to artificially supplement or recreate the cues you would normally get, and also increase your exposure to any outside cues available.

So there’s three important ways to deal with this that I’m going to elaborate on in the next few posts:
  • Reinforce your day-night cycle
  • Set yourself a permissive routine and stick to it
  • Keep your places separate.
These all ultimately aim to do variations on the same thing: compartmentalise your behaviours into different contexts to prevent everything from blurring into one interminable slog.

Reinforce your day-night cycle.
Your body responds to sunlight, and uses it to calibrate when it thinks day / night is. If you’re stuck indoors you’re going to get less of this effect, even if you have sunlight coming in. You’re going to have to set yourself an artificial day-night cycle. One of the worst things for depression is to feel like one day bleeds into the next with restless sleep in between – so the goal is to make daytime feel as different from nighttime as possible.
  • In the morning, as soon as you’re up, open all the curtains and leave them open all day. Get as much sunlight in as possible.
  • In the evening, put the lights on low. No ceiling lights, just lamps or whatever you have around. This is your lead-in to night time.
  • At night, close all the curtains, have the lights as low as possible. If it’s dark outside, make it dark inside.
If it’s safe to do so where you live, have your windows open a little 24/7. This will expose you to more cues like air temperature and outdoor noise, and will keep your air circulating.

Take vitamin D. It’ll disappear quickly from your system as soon as you stop getting direct outdoor sunlight, and you’ll feel like shit. You can safely double the dose you get in the normal tablets from the supermarket.

Separate your activities by time of day. Do stuff that wakes you up in the morning, and stuff that calms you down in the evening. This sounds basic, but you have to do the basic stuff as deliberately as you can. Your body and mind respond to these basic cues and the goal is to consciously reinforce these cues. You want your mornings and evenings to feel as different as possible, so that you can feel like you’re opening up for the day every morning and closing things up at night.

Set yourself a permissive routine:
Instead of setting a strict routine like “do X at 12pm”, set yourself times that you do things *after*. This is to stop yourself deciding to just eat dinner whenever because you’re bored, or to crawl into bed because you’re bored. Food and bed are Powerful Forces when you’re stuck indoors – be strict with yourself about them.

So for example don’t eat lunch until (eg) after 12, even if you’re hungry before then, don’t go to bed before (eg) 10pm, even if you’re tired. You’ll sleep better.

The exception to this is getting up in the morning. Set yourself a time *before* which you’re going to wake up, and an additional time before which you’re going to get out of bed.

Even if you feel like you’ve had an unsatisfying sleep, get up. You’ll make the feeling worse by staying in bed. Let it go, start the day in spite of it. You’ll have some bad sleeps while you’re living this way.

Mealtimes and bedtime are the main time landmarks in your housebound day. Stick to them even if you don’t feel like it. Think about when you’re on a long-haul flight and time is getting fucky and the attendants bring you meals at set times because they know better than you. You eat the meals when you’re given them.

If you have other daily practices such as praying or exercising, you likely already have a set time for these that you don’t need to adjust. These are other good landmarks to keep track of your day.

Keep your places separate.
Keep things in their room. Don’t move stuff from room to room. This helps:
  • To make your space feel as big as possible.
  • To simulate having to go to places to do things.
  • To stop you from just bringing everything back to bed and stewing there.
For example I keep my laptop charger plugged in in the living room, and it doesn’t move from there, so I can only use my computer from the sofa (or if i take it to bed i can only use it until the battery runs out). I have a chair I read in, I have a table I eat at, I have a desk I do creative stuff at. None of this stuff moves anywhere else, I have to go to it. If you work from home, have a dedicated spot where you work. If you exercise, have a place for that.

This is mentally similar to your day-night cycle thing – you don’t want everything to blend into each other.

Finally: expect this to hurt. Being shut-in like this is not a good lifestyle for a human being, and the coping strategies are there to soften the worse parts of it. There is no sustainable long-term way to do this.
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

This self-isolation I find is a time for catching up with things I have been putting off doing.

Yesterday, for example, I catalogued my BBC ROM collection. The impetus was that I have the documentation for the Continuous Processing ROM for Wordwise Plus but this did not come with the ROM. (I found the ROM image.)

Over the years the Archive has amassed literally thousands of disk images; the first thing done with floppy disks received is to make SSD or ADL files so that there will be no more deterioration and to reduce the physical bulk of storage. Many of these images contain ROMs.

So far I have 'discovered' that I have about 400 different ROMs. These ROMs include different version numbers. Some have titles I have not met before and do not appear on sites such as mdfs.net. Looks like there will soon be another section on my website. :D
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

flaxcottage wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:50 am So far I have 'discovered' that I have about 400 different ROMs. These ROMs include different version numbers. Some have titles I have not met before and do not appear on sites such as mdfs.net. Looks like there will soon be another section on my website. :D
Keep me posted, always enjoy going through another ROM collection :)
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
LordVaderUK

Post by LordVaderUK »

BigEd wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:31 am I read a great piece on self-care, from someone who has been housebound for a while and has experience.
This is great, thanks for posting, I will share with friends and family.
Loving my BBC Master 128
SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns »

My wife had unusually high temperature (41.2°C at one point) last week so we've been self-isolating too.

Thankfully we had a reasonable amount of dry goods in the house, and we've been working through a stash of meat that was bought and frozen, but it's the day to day things like porridge oats, eggs, fresh fruit, frozen fruit, yogurt, quark, and cheese that is running out in our house.

To top it all, we have a cupboard of snacks and treats, which has a plentiful stock, and which we are slowly going through, but the temptation of eating out of that cupboard when the healthier foodstuffs are running out is pretty high, and that's not good for either of us.

I checked my temperature today with a digital thermometer in the ear, and at one point it said 38.7 and then an hour later it read 35.7. Guess that's not to be relied upon all that much.

We've not particularly noticed any other symptoms either, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

I did look for one of those old fashioned thermometers containing mercury (which I believe I have one of somewhere in our home), but couldn't find it.

I don't have a problem with being at home isolating, as I can keep myself busy, but yes, it's a strange new world out there when you have to think long and hard about venturing out of the house. I'm relying on friends who are still out and about for essentials.

Poor old Phoebe has been relegated to gentle exercise in the back garden, although even she has to take it easy for now as she had her spay operation just over a week ago. She seems to be recovering quite well, and the scar is looking like it is healing fine.
Just remember kids, Beeb spelled backwards is Beeb!

Return to “off-topic”