BBC Business game?

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

RobC

BBC Business game?

Post by RobC »

Can't remember if I've asked this before but with Christmas coming up, I've been trying to remember the name of a mode 7 game I got for Christmas at some point in the mid-to-late eighties. We played it loads at school after I took my copy in.

I think it was called the "BBC Business game" and was based on a TV game show (which I think had the same name). I think you had to order it by post from the address advertised in the end credits of the show.

I remember that you had to decide how much oil, property and I think shares to buy. Oil was the riskiest investment but could yield the highest returns.

I think the TV show was on BBC2 (possibly only in Wales) but I can't find any trace of it.

It's probably a long-shot but does anyone remember it?
lurkio

Re: BBC Business game?

Post by lurkio »

RobC wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:41 pm I've been trying to remember the name of a mode 7 game I got for Christmas at some point in the mid-to-late eighties ... I think it was called the "BBC Business game" and was based on a TV game show ...
Doesn’t ring any bells. Have you tried searching the BBC Genome website?:
:?:
acorndave

Post by acorndave »

RobC

Post by RobC »

lurkio wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:00 pm Doesn’t ring any bells. Have you tried searching the BBC Genome website?:
Yes - although not extensively. I am wondering if it was a BBC Wales programme as I have a vague recollection of having to send off to an address in Cardiff to get hold of the game.
acorndave wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:01 pm This sounds similar ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_Games
Unfortunately, it's not the Acornsoft Business Games - it came out later and was tied to the TV programme. I think the packaging was also fairly basic.
RobC

Post by RobC »

Just an update on this. I've tracked down the TV show the game was based on. It was called Computer Challenge and was shown on BBC Wales in 1986 & 1987.

My family loved the TV show (there's a short clip here) and I can remember that we were really keen to get hold of the game when it was advertised in the end credits. The clip shows the contestants using a Marconi trackball - I know that BBC Wales did stuff with Pluto and Prisma add-ons for the Beeb so it's possible that they used Beebs to make the show.

There's mention of a MIA Spectrum version of the game here but I definitely had the Beeb version and am pretty sure that the cassette inlay just said "BBC Business game". The packaging was pretty crude and looked like it had been knocked up in a hurry so it may well have used a shortened name.

I took the game into school and we sometimes played it over wet lunchtimes or in form time. I'm pretty sure it was written in BASIC and used mode 7.
Last edited by RobC on Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

RobC wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:45 pm There's mention of a MIA Spectrum version of the game here but I definitely had the Beeb version and am pretty sure that the cassette inlay just said "BBC Business game". The packaging was pretty crude and looked like it had been knocked up in a hurry so it may well have used a shortened name.
No link included Rob?
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
RobC

Post by RobC »

Arcadian wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:49 pm No link included Rob?
Sorry - now corrected in the original post.

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”